Oldest book in your collection?

Lumo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest book is Uncle Tom's cabin.It was my mum's!When she was a child she has read it!

That's a beautiful story. Have you read it Maedeh? What did you think of it?

I used to have this near mint condition, beautiful little copy of Ben Hur published on rice paper from late 1890s and was so proud of it. But then, about 20ish years ago I got a new puppy and had made up one of the rooms into a puppy room for when we were at work. I was smart enough to put the book on the very top shelf and keep anything she could theoretically grab out of reach. However, I didn't take into account that a fast growing, large breed dog would soon get big enough to body slam a heavy bookshelf, knocking down all those tasty hunks of paper. Dozens of books came down that day, but being a dog of exceptionally good taste, she only ate poor Ben. Gnawed on a few really cheap novels, but apparently only Ben Hur was yummy enough to consume. She did leave a couple small chunks of the cover so I could identify the remains. :cry2:

I walked past a charity shop recently and saw a set of encyclopaedias from 1884 for �100

I was tempted, partly because I think it would be interesting to flick through an encyclopaedia from that era, and partly because of the look and feel of the old books.

This got me thinking - what's the oldest book in your collection? I don't mean oldest in terms of the earliest one to be written, but the actual oldest edition/publication.

:-)

mine is On the Road by Jack Kerouac. There are few more I have. But this is the oldest one.

• 1 month later...