French toast !

Inver

While watching 'Scrubs' they were talking about having 'french toast' for breakfast. Andy asked me what exactly is 'french toast'. I did look it up, and I was right as to what I thought it was. I have never attempted making it.

Just wondered if anyone makes it and what the ideal recipe would be, best pan to use etc.:tong:

I assume you mean bread dipped in egg then fried? THat's what I think of as French toast (although we always called it gypsy toast when I was a kid).

I make two versions - a sweet and a savoury. Both versions use 2 eggs, a drop of milk and 3 slices of bread (to serve 2 people), but the sweet version involves sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, whereas the savoury version involves a pinch each of salt, pepper and whatever herbs I fancy at the time. I heat a frying pan till it's hot, then drop in a little bit of olive oil and swirl it around to coat the base of the pan. Then it just takes a few minutes on each side to get the egg cooked and the toast golden brown.

Incidentally, I cut my bread into triangles (it tastes better - LOL!) and let it soak in the egg and milk mixture for a good 5-10 minutes before I even heat the pan, so that the mixture is all sooked up into the bread - yummy!

I had the savoury version for lunch the other day.

Similar to Kell I have made it we always called it 'Eggy Bread' though, never had the sweet version but I do love the savoury Sunday breakfast for a treat for us when we were kids.

I sometimes make it, though never the sweet version. I always just use eggs, salt, pepper, maybe some red pepper, and some milk, sometimes the milk we put in coffee since it's a little more, ehh.. fat? Dunno. But I always make the savoury kind, usually when mom and brother are eating friend egg on bread for dinner since I hate that. Every now and then for lunch, here we'd do that with the egg/milk mixture, leave out the pepper and add cinnamon.

Keep wanting to try, but you know, never get around to it. I like savoury things more anyway.:tong:

We always called it French toast. I just use eggs, a little milk, and some cinnamon, and slightly stale French bread. Then I fry it in a non-stick pan. It's great topped with a little butter and powdered sugar. :tong:

Last Thursday morning, hubby and I were sitting outside a cafe in the sunshine under the gaze of Caernarfon Castle.

As hubby enjoyed a bacon sandwich, I was tucking (with accompanying MMmmmm sounds) into an eggy bread bacon sandwich. When I had ordered it, I thought it would be 1 piece of eggy bread, and 1 slice of bacon. Sadly I was wrong. :tong:

Gorgeous castle setting, on a holiday break with the one I love, clear blue skies and outdoor eating of naughty but lipsmakingly delicious food ~ life does not get any better than that.

At home I make it like Kell. Soak the slices in the eggy with a dash of milk mixture, having seasoned with salt and pepper. Get the frying pan (any kind is fine, I have cooked this in a light non stick and a heavy skillet) nice and hot and you're away! Enjoy! :lol:

Yep, we call it french toast here in the midwest too and I've only ever made the sweet version. It falls into the same category for me as pancakes and waffles :tong:.

I beat 2 eggs, some milk and a little cinnamon and coat french bread slices in it, then fry it up! We top it with butter and maple syrup, so it's lucky I only ever make it about once a year, hee!

As hubby enjoyed a bacon sandwich, I was tucking (with accompanying MMmmmm sounds) into an eggy bread bacon sandwich. When I had ordered it, I thought it would be 1 piece of eggy bread, and 1 slice of bacon. Sadly I was wrong. :tong:

So what WAS it, then? I'm dying to know, as you obviously still enjoyed it! :lol:

So what WAS it, then? I'm dying to know, as you obviously still enjoyed it! :D

It was two perfectly cooked thick pieces of eggy bread, sandwiching two perfectly cooked (ie crispy) rashers of thick bacon. It was crispy on the outside whilst remaining light and fluffy on the inside, and the bacon had the best taste ever. I was really not expecting the quantity, nor the high quality.

It was a pig filled doorstopper! :tong: I enjoyed every little morsel of it, while hubby watched on in amusement ~ I was almost Sally in that infamous 'When Harry Met Sally' moment. :lol:

We always called it French Toast, but I have never had the savoury variety - didn't know anyone actually made it that way! We use a couple eggs, more than a dash of milk & a drop of vanilla. Dip in the bread (I always use multigrain) & fry in a non-stick pan. Growning up my dad would grate sharp cheddar onto a slice, then put another piece on top, to make a sandwich, then we would smother it in maple syrup & have it with bacon.

I think I may just make this for breakfast tomorrow morning!

When I was on holiday a couple of years ago I had a Monte Christo sandwich, a triple decker filled with, turkey, ham and cheese then dipped in the egg mixture and fried. It was delicious :lol: but would have fed a family of four for a week! :D

It was two perfectly cooked thick pieces of eggy bread, sandwiching two perfectly cooked (ie crispy) rashers of thick bacon. It was crispy on the outside whilst remaining light and fluffy on the inside, and the bacon had the best taste ever. I was really not expecting the quantity, nor the high quality.

It was a pig filled doorstopper! :lol: I enjoyed every little morsel of it, while hubby watched on in amusement ~ I was almost Sally in that infamous 'When Harry Met Sally' moment. :D

OHHHH Chrissy, my mouth is watering. That sounds glorious!:D