Nigella Wannabe

twinkle

I would love to be a good cook but no matter how closely I follow recipes I am so disappointed with the results. Some meals I can't even finish eating, which is annoying if I've spent the best part of an afternoon cooking it.

Funnily enough, when I make up meals, such as throwing things into a risotto, they're not too bad. And I'm pertty good at the classics like a Sunday roast or a good pasta. But curries? I have to buy take away if I want a decent one.

Annoyingly, my friend can be given the most random items of food and cook up a tasty dish. Is cooking a talent, like being able to draw or write? Are you any good or, like me, are you frustrated wannabe?

I'm a frustrated wannabee as well! However, I am married to a very good cook, and he loves cooking, so I dont have to worry about it too much.

A friend of mine is the most amazing cook - she says cooking relaxes her, and whenever I taste anything she's made, I'm always determined to try harder myself - but I never seem to get round to it!

I'm a frustrated wannabee as well! However, I am married to a very good cook, and he loves cooking, so I dont have to worry about it too much.

That's what I need - a decent man who can cook and enjoys washing up afterwards :irked:

Mmmm...Nigella....:D

Ha ha she is a bit of a yummy mummy and so much sexier than most of the twiglets out there. I'm a fan of curves on a woman.

Annoyingly, my friend can be given the most random items of food and cook up a tasty dish. Is cooking a talent, like being able to draw or write? Are you any good or, like me, are you frustrated wannabe?

I so wish I could cook a meal from random food items but I need to go by a recipe here.I put myself in the good category but I do have failures too.Im not a good baker at all though.For me I have found having a man who appreciates what I cook and isnt afraid to compliment me on it when he loves it or dislikes it,has given me a big confidence boost in my cooking.Some people I think do have a talent for it too.

well I am not a Nigella (curves not withstanding I have them) but I am a cook it and see sort of person and they tend to be pretty good, the only things I follow as a recipe are puddings and cakes as they tend to be a bit more science rather than chuck it all together and you need the right quantaties, I don't have a regular appreciative audience sniff sniff living on my own :irked: but it does mean I get more to eat myself :D. I am the regular go to person in the family for the puddings and made a scrupmtious lemon meringue pie the other week but am famous for my profiteroles too. hmmmmm chocolate...

I love cooking and am not bad at it, and it doesn't matter if I follow a recipe or throw together my own things and see what happens. Unfortunately, I could use some practice. See, I rarely cooked before I moved out, then moved in with my (now) ex-bf, he was a very picky eater, not at all into trying new things, and would gladly eat his favourite dishes three times a week. Sometimes it even went so far that he'd have his food, and I would make sometihng else cause I couldn't stand another day of say, spinach with sausage. :irked:

Then, we split, moved back in with my parents, and tadaa. Dad and brother both incredibly picky eaters too, brother hates anything veggie, seriously, if you throw something like peppers into food, he bitches and moans. :D And dad never was up for trying new food, and he thought it funny I liked to try a lot of things.

Now, since dad died, I cook a couple times a week, but am hindered by brother's dislikes. Because, I could cook something my way, but it takes the fun out of it for me to have him dislike it much. Am just silly that way. :cry2:

But yeah, am a decent cook and most recipes I could follow, though I have to watch out, I tend to overcook and overspice things.. but have learned to watch out for this. :D

Sorry to hear your dad passed away, Univerze.

Generally, I don't think I have the patience (as well as the talent). The last recipe I tried was a curry sauce from a Jamie Oliver book. It said to put it in the oven for 2 hours. I think I left it in for 40 minutes. Plus, I get annoyed when my lamb dopiaza's taste nothing like my local curry house's (*drool*).

I actually love cooking. It helps me relax, along with Radio 4 and a glass of wine. I like experimenting with recipes, altering them a little once I've tried them.

And I wash up!

And I wash up!

What a catch you are, Mac! :lol:

I love cooking too. For the past 5 years or so I've really gotten into experimenting with recipes and figuring dishes to make with fresh produce. In the past many of my meals came from a box but now I can't stand that kind of stuff.

Trying different wines to cook with too is something I love, plus finding the perfect one to drink along with a meal. Yum! :tong:

I think anyone can cook if taught some basics and can follow a recipe, but I think to be a really good cook/chef, you have to have talent. I'm definitely in the first category, while my OH is an amazing cook and can whip up something fantastic given a few ingredients and a bit of time.

I'm a half-decent cook (when I had proper housemates they used to steal food from my plate all the time, and I can even follow recipes if I have millions of hours and really fry my brain concentrating), yet I hate doing it - it puts strain on my bad ankle and wrists, plus I'm really clumsy so I'm always dropping utensils/bits of food which isn't good as I'm very easily vexed into tears/growls/banging cupboard doors :tong: I've taken to listening to music as I cook and that helps me not to stress out. I'd still rather not do it if I could help it, though.

I used to love wine with my food (red exclusively; white literally hospitalises me :lol:) but I think growing up in Italy spoiled me, I like sweet fruity things like Sangue di Giuda (t. Judas's Blood :tong:) or Fragolino (t. Small Strawberry) and you just can't get anything like it over here *weeps*!

I'm a half-decent cook (when I had proper housemates they used to steal food from my plate all the time, and I can even follow recipes if I have millions of hours and really fry my brain concentrating), yet I hate doing it - it puts strain on my bad ankle and wrists, plus I'm really clumsy so I'm always dropping utensils/bits of food which isn't good as I'm very easily vexed into tears/growls/banging cupboard doors :lol: I've taken to listening to music as I cook and that helps me not to stress out. I'd still rather not do it if I could help it, though.

Ha :D that is just like me, if a recipe goes slightly wrong, or I can't find the right tins or where I've hidden the foil etc ... I start revving up (hubby calls me Katie-Ka Boom when this happens).

It's his birthday on Monday and I've told him I want to make him a cake .. there's a slight look of fear in his eyes :tong:

I'm ok with regular cooking, roasts, curry's, chilli's and blog's etc but I'm fearsome when in unknown territory .. I always get overheated, and I hate being hot.

I'm a bit of a Delia disciple, I couldn't cook that well until I started following her recipes. I like Nigella too, but I can't achieve her 'standing at the fridge, sticking your hands into some pie and still looking glamorous' look .. I just look like a piggy.

I used to love wine with my food (red exclusively; white literally hospitalises me :lol:) but I think growing up in Italy spoiled me, I like sweet fruity things like Sangue di Giuda (t. Judas's Blood :tong:) or Fragolino (t. Small Strawberry) and you just can't get anything like it over here *weeps*!

does this help?

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/fragolino/1/uk

• 1 month later...

I'm another one who loves to cook. I was put on antidepressants just before Christmas, had all my uni deadlines put on hold, and just let myself be a hermit for a bit. I baked and cooked until I was ready to reappear, and realised I'd forgotten how much I love it. :lol:

I'm not always great at following recipes, I like throwing things together, but I can when I need to. I've just made a batch of cinnamon rolls to take over to my sister's tomorrow; I'll knock up some cream cheese icing for them just before I head over.

I've learned that good cooking keeps friends: I know if I need some company, I only have to let my friends know I've made a batch of banana brownies, sticky chicken wings or my famous BBQ sauce and they're here in a flash! :D