The Last Page of a Book

Steeeeve

When I was younger I used to read the last page of a book before even starting it.

I still don't know why I did that...Anyway, that short period ended and I don't do it anymore.

Sometimes I read a bit faster towards the end of a chapter but all in all - I'm able to control myself :friends0:

Yep i always do that!

Its more to stop the natural wandering that the eye does when it scans a page so as not to read that very last line, often the most memorable part of a book.

I also do the same when coming to the end of a particularly exciting chapter and i sense a twist coming so i read the last page line by line by lining my bookmark up to the lines and revealing it slowly.

I know, very sad!

Yep i always do that!

Its more to stop the natural wandering that the eye does when it scans a page so as not to read that very last line, often the most memorable part of a book.

I also do the same when coming to the end of a particularly exciting chapter and i sense a twist coming so i read the last page line by line by lining my bookmark up to the lines and revealing it slowly.

I know, very sad!

That's not sad, that's fully enjoying a book! :lol: Right?...Umm...? :tong:

I think I may stand sit alone as the only person who has never even considered looking at the last page until I got there. :tong:

I gotta say, it's a little lonely.

I don't read the last page until I'm there either. I don't even look when I am giving up on a book

I don't read the last page until I'm there either. I don't even look when I am giving up on a book

Maybe we three could start a club :tong:

I don't read the last page either, i couldn't read the book if i did that and found a major spoiler :lol:

(First post:006:)

In my defense, I do it just to see how many pages the book has, and unfortunately my eyes sometimes can't help reading the last line. I'm a systematic reader, I need to know how long the book is, and how long each chapter I'm reading is, so I can choose how many chapters I want to read and how long it will probably take me. It's an OCD thing. :D

In my defense, I do it just to see how many pages the book has, and unfortunately my eyes sometimes can't help reading the last line. I'm a systematic reader, I need to know how long the book is, and how long each chapter I'm reading is, so I can choose how many chapters I want to read and how long it will probably take me. It's an OCD thing. :D

I do the same - looking to see how many pages are in a book and in a chapter. When I do that I make a point of not looking at any of the writing. It's more to see if I can finish a chapter before I go to bed or before lunch ends. It's just when I'm on the last page of a book or chapter that my eyes leap ahead.

I have to find out if there is a "first chapter of the author's next book" at the end, and if there is, mark where the story I am reading ends. I find it throws me completely if I think there are still quite a few pages to go and then it goes and ends!

I find it throws me completely if I think there are still quite a few pages to go and then it goes and ends!

I'm with you on this. You have mentally prepared your self for at least another 30 pages and Pfft! it's suddenly over.

I used to always read the last line of a book right at the beginning, not the whole page, just the last line. I don't know why, I think I liked the risk of discovering a major spoiler! :D

I must say, although I no longer do that, I do suffer from the same wandering eye problem when I'm actually on the last page. I resort to using my bookmark to stop me skimming ahead. Like some other people, I also have to look how many pages are in a book, so when I'm checking that I have to be so careful not to read any of the last page.

Another bad habit I have is that in very exciting books, I tend to really skim read the last few pages to see how it ends. I then have to re-read the last pages to pick up the bits I missed. I do try to make myself slow down but I can't. I don't do this often (it has to be very exciting!). I think the last time I did it was the last Harry Potter, because I just had to finish it and it was getting really late!