Heresy by S J Parris

sirinrob

This novel is set in Renaissance Europe and is based on the life of Giordano Bruno. The prologue describes his escape from a Neapolitan Jesuit monastery, to escape the inquisition, for simply reading forbidden books. The remainder of the book relates to the period of his life spent at Oxford, as an undercover agent for Walsingham, Elizabeth the First's Spymaster. He spends his time in Lincoln college. Soon after his arrival a bloody murder is committed. He gets involved with tracking down the killer.

The historical facts are accurate, but obviously what happens in Oxford is largely fiction. The historical Giordano Bruno was a heretic hated by both the Catholic, Lutheran and Calvinist churches for his radical ideas on cosmology, which were more radical than Copernicus's. These were in direct opposition to the established Aristotelian view. In fact his cosmology was not far removed from modern theories. None of the religious factions are shown in a favourable light. Their narrow minded thinking and vengeful actions are in stark contrast to Giardano Bruno's tolerant attitude.

The novel is well written, with an eye for detail that draws the reader in right from the first page. The pace is on the slow side to start with but does pick up fairly quickly, the last chapters being somewhat hectic. The whodunnit aspects are well done, even if I did spot the culprits about halfway through.:lol: The author's irrepressible humour is never far below the surface and many of the sentences said by Giordano Bruno are hilarious.

There are numerous clues scattered throughout the book relating to Giardano's later life which give a good indication where a sequel could well be set. I hope there is a sequel , as this is novel gripped me and I found it satisfying.

Edited by sirinrob