Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never got further than say, 100 pages. I hated almost every page of it. Boring, annoying and just not interesting me at all. I too, had heard good things about it, people couldn't put it down etc.. well not me.

Really? Hmm ... I'm still expecting to like it for the most part, because I find all the symbology stuff freakishly intriguing; I think that's why I chose the book at all. But there's nothing so very interesting or different about Dan Brown's writing style, so the plot is really the only thing that's keeping me there. I also assumed it would be a smart plot, which I appreciate in any media form.

Another thing is, I've started it and I refuse to quit a book. I want to read the whole thing even though I might hate it for being boring, so I'll be able to say I read the whole thing but thought it was overrated.

One to tear up for emergency toilet paper then.

lol! Ouch!! I've never heard such harsh words for it before this, but then again, this is the only place where I'm surrounded by other literary minds. Has anybody finished it yet? Even just to say they finished it and the end was just as bad and boring as the beginning and middle?

My sister may be the only one who finished it, but I forgot to ask her what she thought. But then again, it's my sister's copy of "The Da Vinci Code" that I'm reading, and before I read it, I borrowed her copy of "Pride and Prejudice." She would've boiled me alive, with no remorse, if I turned a page of Jane Austen wrong, but she said she didn't much care what I did with Dan Brown. That's an adequate review in itself.

Edited by BookThane1590

Read half of Shout down the moon yesterday, and a bit of Kafka. I'm affraid The Lisa Tucker one is nothing special (so far at least), I guess I was expecting something more original. Still, it's an easy read, just what I need right now :friends0:

Has anybody finished it yet? Even just to say they finished it and the end was just as bad and boring as the beginning and middle?

I have read it, and three others of Dan Brown's writings. They are bubblegum reading, read to pass time in an enjoyable but non challenging way.

Dan Brown isn't the greatest living writer, but then I didn't expect him to be. If you can suspend your logic and rational side for long enough, they are a comfortable distraction for a time.

Read some more of No Way To Say Goodbye today, and although I had guessed at some of the things that would happen, I'm pretty sure that it's not going to stay that way for long, and Ms McPartlin will be throwing me some curve balls soon :friends0:

I've been reading some educational stuff today, the book I have to read for my entrance exam later this spring. Later I'm going to pick up something easier to read, I'd have American Psycho by Ellis waiting for me...

I finally finished The Annotated HP Lovecraft yesterday and started The Three Weismanns of Westport which I am enjoying so far

Only 130 pages left to go in The Crimson Petal and the White. What a good read! I am finding it really hard to put down. But it is too heavy to read in the bath, so I read 100 pages of James Patterson's Run For Your Life as well. (Yes, that was a long bath! :friends0:)

Today I did bought myself:

Has Man a Future? - Bertrand Russell

The Language Instinct - Steven Pinker

The Dreadful Judgement - Neil Hanson

The Gods of the Greeks (I will never read this) - C. Kerenyi

Arthur & George - Julian Barnes

All for

I have just been reading Pandemonium by Christopher Brookmyer in the bath and I am olving it, he never makes his books easy and writes really well with the accent of a glaswegian and the slang they would use. This is a really unusual book as it mixes a lot of physics, divinity and religion together with teenage angst and agression and still makes it funny and real. will read a bit more later :friends0:

Currently reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez ... you definitely have to concentrate!! All or most of the characters are either named Jose Arcadio or Aurelianos .. they just keep calling their male children after the founding members. A lot of their female's share the same or similar names too and the family tree at the front isn't helping much .. my brain hurts!!

Absolutely bonkers at times but really engaging and worth the effort.

Listening to Kathryn Stockett's The Help .. enjoying it immensely.

Hope you enjoy Arthur & George Steeeeve .. one of my fave books this year.

Listening to Kathryn Stockett's The Help .. enjoying it immensely.

Poppy, you are I'm for a fabulous treat. The narrators are superb. The whole novel is one of this decade's best

I've read around 100 pages of The Crimson Petal and the White today. I'm going away for four days this weekend so I don't expect to get much reading done, which is a shame because I really don't want to have to put this book down. :friends0: