Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got I Hope they Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max for easter!

I went shopping today and picked up:

Bro Code (if any of you watch How I Met Your Mother, this book is "written by" the character Barney Stinson) haha Im so excited for this!

I also got The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory and The Chronicles of Narnia, the entire collection in one book.

Im currently reading The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson, halfway through and loving it!

Bro Code (if any of you watch How I Met Your Mother, this book is "written by" the character Barney Stinson) haha Im so excited for this!

Awesome! I adore Barney, I can't wait to hear what you think of this!

Finished Rose Tremain's 'The Colour' and started David Benioff's 'City of Thieves' and already I'm enjoying it .. this was the book that they had in Waterstones with a slip around it saying you could choose another book if you didn't like it .. I lost the slip ages ago but thankfully so far so good.

I read City of Thieves last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. :lol:

Ordered some books for the first time since Christmas.

Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Tishomingo Blues by Elmore Leonard

Sandstorm by James Rollins

The Enemy Within by Seumas Milne(A book about the miners strike)

The Conquest of Gaul by Julius Caeser

Ajax,The Dutch,The War by Simon Kuper

All books ordered from The Book Depository (top site)

Also read about 50 pages of Emperor The Gates of Rome and Tam O'Shanter by Robert Burns, the scots language made my head hurt but a cracking poem none the less

Edited by Jack Dawkins
update

Read about 120 pages of The Road by Cormac McCarthy over the last couple of days and only have about 100 pages left. Am starting to get more and more into this book and am beginning to enjoy it at last. Shame there is so little left to read now though.

All books ordered from The Book Depository (top site)

I just checked their site and found out that they deliver pretty much everywhere for free. And the books are even cheaper than buying at Amazon. So thanks for showing me a new place where I can buy English books!

I finished King of Torts. I thought the first half was quite good but it went down hill after that.

I also read Feminine (I never know when to stop with the I N's - like banananananana:roll:)Gospels by Carol Ann Duffy. One of my favourite poems was The Diet.

Finished 'City of Thieves' .. thought it was excellent. Started 'The Red House Mystery' by A.A. Milne .. written before the 'Winnie the Pooh' stories apparently. I've only just started it but it's reminding me of Wodehouse at the moment :lol:.

I have just went mad on Amazon and bought:

Dime Store Magic - Kelley Armstrong

The Complete Poems - William Blake

Lolita - Vladimar Nobokov

Seduced by Moonlight - Laurell Hamilton

Q and A - Vikas Swarup (for next months book club)

^It's so hard not to go mad on Amazon!

Just finished The Gate House by Nelson DeMille, and starting The Crimson Petal and the White for the Rory Gilmore Challenge.

I finished Tomato Girl last night. I liked it, but was a very different type book for me.

Main charactor is a little 11 year old girl.

STILL LIFE by Joy Fielding is next.

I'm still listening to The Night Watch by Mr. Pratchett. Only got 3 hours left - will be finished soon!

Brilliant! My favourite ever Pratchett. Glad to see there are people reading his books on here. :lol:

Today The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman arrived for me in the post - controversial! It'll probably be a while before I get around to reading it.

I also read Feminine (I never know when to stop with the I N's - like banananananana:roll:)Gospels by Carol Ann Duffy. One of my favourite poems was The Diet.

I've only read The World's Wife, but I enjoyed that. I really must check out some more CAD. :lol:

Started 'The Red House Mystery' by A.A. Milne .. written before the 'Winnie the Pooh' stories apparently. I've only just started it but it's reminding me of Wodehouse at the moment :).

I haven't that on my Amazon wishlist, so I'll be interested to know what you think. :)

Despite having too much work to do, I still couldn't resist getting Shout down the moon by Lisa Tucker when I saw it at the library today so I'm excited about reading it. Don't know how I'll manage to read this one too, but hey, doesn't hurt to try :lol: I've also broken the pact I've made with myself about not reading books in English for a while, because the last few books I read were in English so I need to take a brake.

And I'm a bit more than halfway through Kafka, which I'm enjoying very much as the story is one of the most inovative and wth-moment-provoking stories I've come across in a while. Or maybe even ever. I'm not sure whether it'll be one of my favorite books of all time, (I have a feeling it won't), but it definitely will be one of the most original, story-wise :)

After weeks of neglect, I'm focusing on getting back on track with my reading this weekend. Today, I've sorted out my library books and renewed:

Anne of Green Gabled by L. M. Montgomery

Carbon Diaries 2017 by Saci Lloyd

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Started the first book for my next reading group meeting, Our Farm by Rosie Boycott.

I received an amazon.co.uk gift certificate last month, so will be ordering some books later today - my basket currently has about 11 books in it, but I might change a few, but will be making my final decision later on :lol:

Still have a missing reading mojo, but have added quite a few history books (North Wales, Anglesey etc) and books relating to castles (Caernarfon, Conwy etc.) to my ever increasing TBR pile.

I also managed to pop into the shops today, and came out with a Nicci French paper back, 'What To Do When Someone Dies', and John Hart's 'The Last Child'.

When my mojo returns it will be thoroughly exhausted with all the catching up it has to do! :lol: