Will American English Become the Norm?

Steeeeve

I'm just reading a book and the word 'color' came up. Obviously the standard English spelling is 'colour' but I was just wondering if eventually we'll all just change to American spellings. And also if that would be such a bad thing.

I think especially for kids growing up they'll get used to American spellings from a younger age.

Up until I was about 7 maybe I thought 'jail' was an English spelling and was quite miffed when I saw the word 'gaol'.

I've seen a few people on here write 'gray' rather than 'grey' already. I don't think we'll adopt words so much. I thin a tap will always be a tap and not a faucet.

Sorry, this is a bit rambling. I haven't really thought it through.

Most people tend to use a US billion rather than a British (European?) billion. Again that's something I've grown up with so it doesn't bother me so much.

HOWEVER!!!

If I hear anyone say "I could care less what you think" when what they mean is "I couldn't care less what you think" it does send me into a violent rage. They mean opposite things! It's not hard to see.

Along with pronouncing 'herb' as 'erb' it's the only Americanism that annoys me.

Actually the erb thing doesn't annoy me. It just sounds silly. The care less one is just infuriating.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% with you on the whole "couldn't care less" issue. Drives me nuts when people use that incorrectly.

Try living in Australia. Its pretty much a mishmash of English and American-English in terms of spelling out here. Its terrible.

A British billion has 12 noughts but a US billion has 9. I only found that out a few years ago. When I first heard someone mention it I thought they must be mistaken. I always assumed you just counted up from one and all the numbers would be the same wherever you are. But nooooo.

I would love to try living in Australia. Can we swap? I'll put up with any annoying spellings in return for golden beaches and sunshine. Ahhhh. I need to visit my family again.......what were we talking about?

Sorry mate, I quite like it out here. I'll deal with the spelling.

Sorry mate, I quite like it out here. I'll deal with the spelling.

I can't believe my plan failed. How could anyone resist! I saw the Milky Way for the first time in my life when I was in the Blue Mountains. Was one of the best moments of my life.

I have led an empty life.

Actually I should shut up. I'm not ashamed. Raa.

I should get back on my own topic.

I can't believe my plan failed. How could anyone resist! I saw the Milky Way for the first time in my life when I was in the Blue Mountains. Was one of the best moments of my life.

I have led an empty life.

Actually I should shut up. I'm not ashamed. Raa.

I should get back on my own topic.

Yeah the Blue Mountains are pretty sweet. Where else did you visit over here?

I was with my family in Saratoga so mostly just up there. I didn't do the old travelling all round the place sadly. Even so it was the first time I had been in the sea for about 20 years so that was nice.

It boggles my mind why so many Australians want to come over here. My cousin wants to come back. Silly billy.

I guess you get used to what you grow up with and want a change.

It was just so much more relaxed and friendly over there. Although I was on holiday. That always makes things feel better.

I was with my family in Saratoga so mostly just up there. I didn't do the old travelling all round the place sadly. Even so it was the first time I had been in the sea for about 20 years so that was nice.

It boggles my mind why so many Australians want to come over here. My cousin wants to come back. Silly billy.

I guess you get used to what you grow up with and want a change.

It was just so much more relaxed and friendly over there. Although I was on holiday. That always makes things feel better.

Yeah, it certainly does.

I toured Europe for a while after I graduated. Loved the place, but I still doubt I will live anywhere other than Australia.

In reply to the original question :D, I (to quote Sir Terry Pratchett) '-ing' hope not! As a writer and scholar, reading/having suggested by MS Word words like 'color', 'theater' and 'summarize' really drives me up the wall and 'round the bend. My stance on the matter is pretty much summed up by the incredibly perceptive Mr Henry Higgins (the dialectician off My Fair Lady):

... there even are places where English completely disappears

Well in America they haven't used it for years.

In reply to the original question :D, I (to quote Sir Terry Pratchett) '-ing' hope not! As a writer and scholar, reading/having suggested by MS Word words like 'color', 'theater' and 'summarize' really drives me up the wall and 'round the bend. My stance on the matter is pretty much summed up by the incredibly perceptive Mr Henry Higgins (the dialectician off My Fair Lady):

Haha. Well I see your point and, if I'm honest, I feel the same way. But I don't know if I feel that way for good reasons. As you know, and as people are always pointing out, language is always changing and the way we talk and write nowadays would probably seem horrible to the people of 150 years or so ago.

I wish I had written that in a way that didn't make me sound really :censored:ing pompous.

So yeah. I wish we could keep our spelling but if not so be it. But if people start writing in txtspk you'll find me hanging from the rafters in my loft.

A British billion has 12 noughts but a US billion has 9. I only found that out a few years ago. When I first heard someone mention it I thought they must be mistaken. I always assumed you just counted up from one and all the numbers would be the same wherever you are. But nooooo.

Cheers, I will investigate that further . . .

In reply to the original question :D, I (to quote Sir Terry Pratchett) '-ing' hope not! As a writer and scholar, reading/having suggested by MS Word words like 'color', 'theater' and 'summarize' really drives me up the wall and 'round the bend.

You could just select the English (U.K.) spell check option!

I'm not sure why certain words or phrases are changing into American for you guys, because maybe it's just the fact that I live in the midwest, but I don't see the same happening here. When I think hard, the only word I spell on a regular basis that's English is 'theatre,' and I honestly don't know how I picked that up :irked:.

I'm used to seeing words spelled like colour and favourite now because of you fine folk :D. I even think I heard myself call my mom 'mum' over the weekend!

I don't understand that, please explain!

I think the American billion is worked out at 1000 x 1 million, whereas the British billion is 1 million x 1 million (which is as it SHOULD be as 1000 = 100 x 100 and 1 million = 1000 x 1000!) :D

When I'm reading a book it does stop me in my tracks when people forget to put U's in words. I can see those kind of americanisms spreading over here but I can't see people putting gas in their cars, walking on the side walk and using aluminum any time soon.

My stance on the matter is pretty much summed up by the incredibly perceptive Mr Henry Higgins (the dialectician off My Fair Lady):

:irked: I think that's a bit rich, in my humble opinion. As a student of general linguistics I like to think that there are really no 'better' or more 'right' dialects or accents, they are all equal. As long as you get your job done and are understood by others. It is only in the minds of humans that this gets twisted, people esteeming other dialects higher than others.

With that being said, I must confess that I have my favorites :D British English can be really posh but personally I try to use American English as a norm. It's what feels more homey to me.

Edit: I hate not knowing how to spell 'mother' the 'right' way, in short!! That's the one think that's driving me crazy on this multi-English forum!! Also, I love having the 'u' in 'colour' and such but I feel like a traitor if I write it that way because of my usually favoring the American standard.

Edited by frankie

To be honest, it wasn't until joining this forum that I realized just how different American and British English are. There was always that idea of 'well, British is more proper than we are.' The differences are really intriguing.

I've actually used 'mum' several times in emails and such and I've been including the 'u's in colour and favourite. People don't say anything but at work I had to turn on the spell check on my email to start catching these little things. :D

The thing that really intrigues me about the way the British speak is how they shorten many of their words and make them cutsey. Like for football- footie, or chocolate, choccie. The accent is also very lyrically pleasing to listen to.

I doubt American English will ever be the 'norm' as America is very quickly becoming a Spanish speaking nation. In 100 years English here will be a thing of the past and Spanish will be the primary language.

Edited by CaliLily

I didn't realise that! Interesting fact for the day :D

With regards to the original question, I don't think it will any time soon. We're taught from an early age the English way to spell certain words and I can't see the English education system adopting American-English as standard.

But who knows......anything is possible!

Yeah the Blue Mountains are pretty sweet.

Indeed they are! I've lived at the bottom of them my whole life. :D

The English language won't be Americanised any time soon if I have any say in it. :D When I used to proofread documents in my old department I had to frequently change American spellings to English/Australian because the authors had spent time studying in America and had picked up bad habits.

Sorry Frankie, but I don't agree. I can't abide by American spellings because they are things that were purposely changed from the original (and therefore correct) English spelling. Why change the 's' to a 'z' in 'Americanized'? It's unnecessary. I love the English language and hate to see it b*stardised (am I allowed to say that?) by any other country. It gets on my nerves.

That said, I'm often guilty of spelling 'gaol' as 'jail'. The former just seems strange and I can't help but read it as 'gale'. I also think it's quite logical for 'lieutenant' to be pronounced the American way (as 'lieu-tenant') but I use the English way of 'lef-tenant' just because it's more fun. :irked:

I don't mind too much, I usually only see American spelling in books by American authors so that is fair enough and to be expected. 'The Time Travelers Wife' had me confused .. I thought that for years I must have been spelling traveller incorrectly .. then I looked it up and saw it was the American spelling.

I get annoyed though when my spellchecker keeps telling me I've spelt words wrong only to find it want's me to use color or center or airplane, there is only one setting for English .. and for some reason it's US.

Far worse than this though is 'text speak' ... and if you're thinking about future years .. pray that l8r and 2mro won't be considered the norm by then.

Edited by poppyshake

It always irritates me when a book uses American English. If it's being sold in Britain I want it to be in British English! I can just about tolerate it in a book that is set in America by an American author, but otherwise is just annoys me.

Is that really true about Spanish in America, CaliLily? That's fascinating, I hadn't heard that suggested before.

Sorry Frankie, but I don't agree. I can't abide by American spellings because they are things that were purposely changed from the original (and therefore correct) English spelling. Why change the 's' to a 'z' in 'Americanized'? It's unnecessary. I love the English language and hate to see it b*stardised (am I allowed to say that?) by any other country. It gets on my nerves.

That's quite alright with me Kylie, I don't mind :D To be honest the 's' to 'z' switch has always been a problem for me too, and like I already mentioned there are other things as well that I don't like about the American 'jargon' but since I feel more at home with the American accent and dialect and words, I try to spell things according to the American English norm because I'd rather stick to one thing than mix everything up. Although when I'm on this forum I sometimes like to use British phrases with some people and the American expressions with other people, kind of depending on where that other person is from.

Far worse than this though is 'text speak' ... and if you're thinking about future years .. pray that l8r and 2mro won't be considered the norm by then.

Agreed! It's just awful. In Finnish it's not that bad though, because for example the names for numbers are longer in Finnish than in English and they can't be incorporated in words as easily. But I hate things like changing 'ks' to 'x' which is a letter that does not appear naturally in any Finnish word. And I'm also very bored with 'omg' and 'lol' being normal abbreviations used in Finnish as well.

I've been brought up using British english even though I've spent most of my school years in the Caribbean. Two words I've been caught out with have been Jail/gaol and encyclopedia/encyclopaedia. Language does indeed change but there's no reason thing should go the USA's route. I can quite comfortably read American published books and British published books even if I imagine some extra 'u's some places and the 'z' and 's's thing.