Will American English Become the Norm?

Steeeeve

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, who cares? It changed because it changed. Language evolves, there's no "right" or "wrong" way. The English language has gone through many major changes over the centuries, and as long as we can all communicate, does it really matter?

I was just curious. :irked: I love the English language and the history of it, so I do care. Maybe I'm just a geek, but I find it all very interesting. I'd love to buy an etymological dictionary so I can delve into the origins of various words.

I was just curious. :irked: I love the English language and the history of it, so I do care. Maybe I'm just a geek, but I find it all very interesting. I'd love to buy an etymological dictionary so I can delve into the origins of various words.

Heh, you're comments just made me picture the dad from 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' and how he is always explaining how a word's origins go back to Greek. ;)

I can understand why they use some words but I just hate the word 'pacifier'! I just can't imagine my baby brother asking for one! Its soo much easier to say 'dummy'!

'Pacifier' sounds like some tranquilizing drug or maybe a member of the peace force. But then again, 'dummy' sounds like a dumb person. I'd rather not stick any of those in my mouth!

'Pacifier' sounds like some tranquilizing drug or maybe a member of the peace force. But then again, 'dummy' sounds like a dumb person. I'd rather not stick any of those in my mouth!

What about a num-a-num which is what my niece always called it!:D

I stand corrected. But I'd be interested to know if America changed it to be in line with the original Greek or for another reason?

I think in one of Bill Bryson's books about language he states that British English and American English parted company in Queen Anne's reign and a lot of spellings and pronunciations which British people regard as modern Americanisms are actually examples of where British English has evolved and American English didn't.

Thanks Vladd! I have a couple of Bryson's language books and I've been meaning to read them since this thread came up but I haven't had time. Maybe I'll just dip into them on the weekend.

Or even the maths. With the herb thing I'm with Eddie Izzard.

Then do you pronounce the h in honest, honor, heir, hour? The Eddie Izzard philosophy doesnt' work there, does it?

Honestly, who cares? It changed because it changed. Language evolves, there's no "right" or "wrong" way. The English language has gone through many major changes over the centuries, and as long as we can all communicate, does it really matter?

Exactly!

Edited by Michelle
merged

Then do you pronounce the h in honest, honor, heir, hour? The Eddie Izzard philosophy doesnt' work there, does it?

True and I don't pronounce the h in honour either :D

I like the original English, but for no particular reason. I make sure to change my word processor's default language to English(UK) every time I reinstall my OS. But I have to admit that it does look like American English will be come the norm soon. I once debated with a person in college that the words "centre" and "center" are the exact same thing. He persisted that "centre" meant the centre of a circle and "center" was used when talking about a location. And the fact that Google Chrome's highlighting centre as a wrong spelling makes me wonder just how long we have till American English becomes the norm. It's not a matter of "will it happen", rather "when will it happen?".

But I have to admit that it does look like American English will be come the norm soon..... It's not a matter of "will it happen", rather "when will it happen?".

I'm not convinced. I remember reading somewhere fairly reliable (sorry, can't track it down at present) that British English and American English (I prefer English and American!) were gradually drifting apart, not together. I suspect it may well be true that AE becomes the global norm (if not already), but BE will survive/thrive in the UK. We may see the odd import - just as we've imported from other languages in the past - but overall, I suspect we'll stay English.

I found myself nodding in agreement with your post Willoyd. :D

I think that because we are an island nation, we have a certain mentality that is resistant to a complete takeover of our language by American English.

Language is a living breathing beasty and we will no doubt absorb some variations from other cultures and nations, but I believe we will stay essentially British in our language and spelling.