New to this...

Hey all im Angie;).Im new to this site so gonna take me a while to get to grips with this,ive usually got my head in a book...pardon the pun.My partner thinks im quite sick for reading the books that I read lol but I just say its the plots that are intriuging.The sicker the book the more it seems to grab me,honestly im no serial killer.I love true crime also,id love to really get inside a killers head just to see what makes them tick.Is anybody getting me or am I freaking you all out???Does anybody see this as a form of escapism also?Tess Gerritsen and Mo Hayder are brilliant and shocking,ive also just bought Wire in the blood boxset on dvd as I love Val Mcdermids books so much which I have to say have done her justice.What is everybody else reading out there??

Ange

Hey there Jules,yea shes the best.Everybody keeps suggesting different authors but ive just got so many stockpiled to read atm that il have to work my way through them first .Just cant help myself seen as I work in town centre right next to Waterstones lol

Ange

Hello Angie and welcome to the forum! :D

You might want to take a look at this true crime -thread, there might be some ideas for you of what to read. I'd definitely recommend Ann Rule's Stranger Beside Me, it's about Ted Bundy. What makes it better than the other Ted Bundy books is that Ann Rule actually knew Ted Bundy herself, she used to work with him on a crisisline, not knowing that all the while he was "doing his thing".

Have you read Chelsea Cain's Gretchen Lowell -series? (Heartsick, Sweetheart and Evil At Heart) They're horrific but excellent. And how about Jeff Lindsay's Dexter novels?

Hey there Gemz,sorry i took a while to reply.my netbook has developed a fault so its in for repair so im on my partners laptop while he ant using it lol.nice to meet you and thanks for msgn.it really depends on what sort of crime your into(if you pardon how that sounds lol).i know some really good books to recommend but some are sicker than others,Val Mcdermid is probably a bit tamer than some ive read.you could try beneath the bleeding by her if you dont want anything sexual in there or if you want something a bit grittier by her then try the torment of others.if you wanna really shock yourself id suggest most books by mo hayder(skin or the birdman)or maybe a tess gerritsen like the surgeon id say that was pritty middle ground.ive got most books by these three authors as they are my faves but have others in my collection aswell.personally i like them quite sick as they have more twists in them.hope ive made some good choices for you(val mcdermid's books are alot of wire in the blood which are the ones that were a tv series so if you like crime tv then shes probably your best bet to break you into the world of crime reading.

Happy reading hun

Ange xoxo

hey there Frankie,thanks for those suggestions,ive read some of the Dexters but not tried the ones to do with bundy,am defo gonna keep that one written down and have a look into it.also thanks for the welcome.nice to meet you(i also really like the sick ones lol)

ange x

Thanks all for your kind welcome msgs,like i said my netbooks in for repair but will jump on here whenever I can until i get mine back.Ive booked this Friday off work as im really into a book atm-Kill For Me by Karen Rose.Thats what I do every now and again I use my annual leave to stay home,have the house to myself and stick my head in a good book lol.Hope you dont think im sad now.

What is everybody else reading at the mo?

Happy reading guys

Ange xoxo

Guest albie

Hey Angie,

Welcome to the forum!

I enjoy reading crime books below are few of my favorite collections of crime books check them out.

Plausible Denial by Mark Lane

Cosa Nostra - John Dickie

Prisongate - Sir David Ramsbotham

Welcome to the forum Angie. :no: No, you're not sick at all. The serial killer is a subject the human race has always shown quite a lot of interest for. You're definitely not alone in this. Why do you think films like Se7en, Silence of the Lambs, or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre were such succesful works? Why there's been written so many books about Jack the Ripper, Ed Gein, or Richard Ramirez? It's in our blood. :censored:

That said, you should absolutely check out Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. Unforgettable. Classic. Let me know what you thought of it.

you sound like you know what you're on about.[

Trust me, it only appears that way. I'm really not a veteran when it comes to books. :)

So,read anything good lately?

I've been all sorts of busy lately, so no, I haven't. Will let you know when I do though.

P.S. You must also see the film 'In Cold Blood' (1967) when you have the chance. It is stellar. And might I suggest 'From Hell', a titan in the graphic novel medium by genius Alan Moore? Offers lots of interesting theories and insights in the Jack the Ripper murders. And it's scary as hell to boot. :D

well ive been quite close to where Jack the ripper lived so am quite interested in anything to do with him..i wanna break more into true crime but am not sure where to start as i dont know if any particular writer will strike me in their ways of description.got lots on my to read shelf at the mo and if i ever get some real time off work i could plow through them all.:smile2: