'Northern Shores - A History of the Baltic Sea and its Peoples' Alan Palmer

sirinrob

This book presents the history of the region centred around the Baltic Sea, starting with the Bronze age and ending in 2004. Major topics covered are the Vikings, the Teutonic Knights, the Reformation, the Hanse, the rise of Prussia and Russia, the effects of the French Revolution and Napoleon, first world war and Second World War.

The book is full of detail, especially in the central section where the history is complex. The style is , at times dry and overall tends towards the academic. As a reference book for people with a strong interest in European History this would be admirable, I'm adding it to my collection.

One small crticism I have is that the bibliography is contained within the notes, which makes locating entries a bit tiresome.

• 3 months later...

Looks good Rob. I haven't read a history book since January, and I work with lots of Lithuanians and Latvians, who are very friendly. Might give this a go if I can find it cheap . Thanks