Film Adaptations

Kell

I just thought it would be fun to have a thread where we can flag up any forthcoming film adaptations of books (seeing as how we're all book addicts here - LOL!).

I read today that they're making a film adaptation of Abraham Lincolm: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame Smith (the man who "collaborated" with Jane Austen on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies).

I've not read the book yet, but I loved P&P&Z, so I'll most likely be getting hold of this one as well, and I think the film could be a lot of fun. I can only hope P&P&Z will get adapted for the big screen too!

There's no page on IMDb yet, but here's hoping...

Here's some I could think of:

Jane Eyre: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229822/

Wuthering Heights: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181614/ this hasn't been updated for some time, they're actually casting unknown actors

Bel-Ami: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440732/

Water For Elephants: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1067583/

Brighton Rock: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233192/

The Guardians Of Ga' Hoole: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219342/

Edited by Dimitra

I've not read the book yet, but I loved P&P&Z, so I'll most likely be getting hold of this one as well, and I think the film could be a lot of fun. I can only hope P&P&Z will get adapted for the big screen too!

There's no page on IMDb yet, but here's hoping...

I was pretty sure it is being adapted with Natalie Portman. Wait there!!!...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1374989/

there you go.

Edit: Another one I just remembered is the Foundation series by Asimov is being developed for the screen by Roland Emmerich *sigh*

Another Edit: The Bell Jar is in development with Julia Stiles too.

Since both of those are just in development who can say whether they'll actually make them. Especially Foundation which would be pretty difficult to carry off.

Edited by Steeeeve

Oh, fantastic! Thanks, Steve! I'll be seeing P&P&Z for sure!

It's hilarious that Natalie Portman is supposedly cast as Elizabeth Bennet when Kiera Knightly (who looks scarily similar) was cast as Elizabeth Bennet in P&P a while ago. :D

I think Neil Gaiman has confirmed that they are making a film adaptation of 'The Graveyard Book' also Susanna Clarke's 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' is in the pipeline.

Shortly to be released is the children's film 'How to Train Your Dragon' (book by Cressida Cowell) there's a trailer here ...

http://www.howtotrainyourdragon.com/

It's hilarious that Natalie Portman is supposedly cast as Elizabeth Bennet when Kiera Knightly (who looks scarily similar) was cast as Elizabeth Bennet in P&P a while ago. :D

:D You did not just say that. Natalie Portman similar to Keira Knightley? *pouts* Natalie Portman is gorgeous, while Keira Knightley, well let's just say I don't care to become particularly friendly with that woman. *shudders*

Okay, honestly, maybe I have to admit that she CAN look sort of similar. ;)

Today I saw on IMDB a film based on The Pit and the Pendulum. By Poe.

It's new.. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1311082/

But from what I can see, I don't know if I should be happy they've made another film of this story. :D

Knightly played Amidala's decoy in Phantom Menace. Portman played Amidala. I think they look strikingly similar.

Am WELL pleased to hear about The Graveyard Book being filmed. Will they call it ThHe Graveyard Film instead though? LOL!

Natalie Portman similar to Keira Knightley? *pouts* Natalie Portman is gorgeous, while Keira Knightley, well let's just say I don't care to become particularly friendly with that woman. *shudders*

I have to say I agree with you, I cannot stand Knightly :D

Knightly played Amidala's decoy in Phantom Menace. Portman played Amidala. I think they look strikingly similar.!

I didn't know that! That's one of those wee things I'll be looking out for now, the next time I see it :D

Am WELL pleased to hear about The Graveyard Book being filmed. Will they call it ThHe Graveyard Film instead though? LOL!

:D I'm so pleased about this one, I loved loved loved the book! Wonder what they will end up calling it ;)

WHAT?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's no way they'll be able to do it justice! Tut.

I was thinking that ... they won't will they. I'll still go and see it though in the vain hope that it might be watchable.

I reckon the casting of Jonathan Strange especially will be key.

Oh my goodness! How am I going to find time to read with all these adaptations coming out?

Interesting. I just finished the book yesterday and was imagining it as a movie a few times. It also made me want to re-watch The Greatest Show on Earth, with Charlton Heston and Jimmy Stewart.

The Bell Jar is in development with Julia Stiles too.

This would be interesting to see. I think Stiles could pull it off too.

Susanna Clarke's 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' is in the pipeline.

I would love to see how they could adapt this into a 2-3 hour movie! (They wouldn't do very well, I fear.)

Today I saw on IMDB a film based on The Pit and the Pendulum. By Poe.

It's new.. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1311082/

But from what I can see, I don't know if I should be happy they've made another film of this story. :lol:

Do you know how many film versions there are? Can you recommend a good one? I have a very old Bela Lugosi film called The Raven which incorporates parts of The Pit and the Pendulum (well, the pendulum part is in there - I can't remember seeing the pit).

Abraham Lincolm: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame Smith (the man who "collaborated" with Jane Austen on Pride and Prejudice and Zombie
This sounds hilarious ;) will definitely keep an eye out for it.

Jane Eyre

No need :friends0: Zeffirelli's already given us the definitive Jane Eyre.

The Bell Jar is in development with Julia Stiles too.
Not Julia 'Ruiner of Shakespeare' Stiles :lol:?!

It's hilarious that Natalie Portman is supposedly cast as Elizabeth Bennet when Kiera Knightly (who looks scarily similar) was cast as Elizabeth Bennet in P&P a while ago.
... the difference being that Natalie Portman knows how to act her way out of a plastic bag ;).

I think Neil Gaiman has confirmed that they are making a film adaptation of 'The Graveyard Book'
Really need to read the book before this comes out.

Do you know how many film versions there are? Can you recommend a good one? I have a very old Bela Lugosi film called The Raven which incorporates parts of The Pit and the Pendulum (well, the pendulum part is in there - I can't remember seeing the pit).

I saw there were many.. haven't seen any yet, but have only been into Poe for a few years now. But the newest one, 2009, seemed horrible. Also, this story isn't one of my favourites by Poe, so that might have something to do with it. :lol:

I was going to post here about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, but you guys beat me to the punch. Knew some of you like P&P&Z, and Tim Burton ofcourse (whom I also love, but am beginning to get sick of), so thought I'd post it, knew you guys would be sooner than me though. ;)

I am not too fond of zombies in films, and less in books, but I have no idea what to expect of this.. I mean, Abe Lincoln (aka boring, sorry but don't like American history much) and vampires (aka, my true love for more than 15 years now).. hmm. :friends0: If there wasn't so much bloody else to read for me already, I'd start this. *sighs*

Not Julia 'Ruiner of Shakespeare' Stiles :lol:?!

Haha. For O, Ten Things I Hate About You or both? Maybe there are others I'm not even thinking of.

And now I might make you hate me. I really like Ten Things I Hate About You. Not even in a guilty pleasure type way. I just think it's a fun, entertaining film. I know it's an update of Shakespeare but I don't think it's trying to be Shakespeare.

I haven't seen Ten Things I Hate About You and I don't want to :lol: though to be honest it's too loosely based on Shakespeare for me to care too much about how bad it is. She is Julia 'Ruiner of Shakespeare' in my book first and foremost for the most unsympathetically wooden Ophelia I've ever seen in the otherwise bizarrely interesting Hamlet with Ethan Hawke in the title role, and secondly for O - of which I could stomach all of ten minutes, as the whole idea behind it (not just Stiles's lack of acting) revolted me.

• 1 month later...
I haven't seen Ten Things I Hate About You and I don't want to :D though to be honest it's too loosely based on Shakespeare for me to care too much about how bad it is. She is Julia 'Ruiner of Shakespeare' in my book first and foremost for the most unsympathetically wooden Ophelia I've ever seen in the otherwise bizarrely interesting Hamlet with Ethan Hawke in the title role, and secondly for O - of which I could stomach all of ten minutes, as the whole idea behind it (not just Stiles's lack of acting) revolted me.

I always liked Julia Stiles but can't stand Kirsten Dunst, who I often get her mixed up with visually.