Favourite Book Titles

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds by Paul Zindel

I have always thought that was the coolest title ever. Sounds like a science paper or something but it is really a play about this family with all sorts of problems including poor, low social status, single mother raising two very different daughters... It is a short read, less than an hour, but I remember enjoying it.

The Minotaur Takes A Cigarette Break - Steven Sherrill I bought this book because it has such an odd title, and it is indeed a very odd book. The Minotaur (yes, THE Minotaur of Greek mythology) is working in a diner in the USA and living on a trailer park. It's the most heartbreaking story of isolation and loneliness I have ever read.

Death and the Penguin - Andrey Kurkov Another book I bought because I loved the title and the cover. It is a fantastic book so it's obviously a good technique for picking books!

The Minotaur Takes A Cigarette Break - Steven Sherrill I bought this book because it has such an odd title, and it is indeed a very odd book. The Minotaur (yes, THE Minotaur of Greek mythology) is working in a diner in the USA and living on a trailer park. It's the most heartbreaking story of isolation and loneliness I have ever read.
That's reassuring :D it's been on my wishlist for ages but it's quite expensive for a short-ish book so I haven't invensted yet, I think I'll have to now; thanking you.

Death and the Penguin - Andrey Kurkov Another book I bought because I loved the title and the cover. It is a fantastic book so it's obviously a good technique for picking books!

I agree :D I borrowed it from the library, the title really got my attention and I couldn't put it down on the shelf because the book had a penguin :lol: It was a great read as well, there's now a sequel to the book :) I haven't had a chance to read it yet though, but I thought I'd mention it if you're interested.

That's reassuring :) it's been on my wishlist for ages but it's quite expensive for a short-ish book so I haven't invensted yet, I think I'll have to now; thanking you.

I would definately recommend it. It's not exactly an easy read, because of the themes it deals with, but it is very thought provoking and quite clever. I really liked the way the author used the Minotaur to examine the way we treat people who are 'different'. It is quite a dark book, and a few bits are quite disturbing. For me it wasn't a book where I finished it and thought 'wow that was great', but I read it years ago and I still find myself thinking about it so it obviously had an impact.

Unfortunately I gave my copy away a while ago otherwise I would have quite happily sent it to you! I actually got my copy from The Works so it was quite cheap.

I agree :smile2: I borrowed it from the library, the title really got my attention and I couldn't put it down on the shelf because the book had a penguin :giggle: It was a great read as well, there's now a sequel to the book :irked: I haven't had a chance to read it yet though, but I thought I'd mention it if you're interested.

Ah it's fantastic isn't it! I think it's a little gem of a book, small and perfectly formed! I love penguins so it was always going to be a winner for me (a depressed penguin living in an apartment in Kiev! Brilliant!) but I also thought the whole story was very clever.

I thought I read something about a seqel but I haven't actually seen it. I have another book by the same author, 'The Case of the Generals Thumb' which I am looking forward to reading.

I really liked the way the author used the Minotaur to examine the way we treat people who are 'different'.
Minus the minotaur / plus different magical beings, that's precisely what my book's about hence the interest - it'd be research :smile2:! Your word is good enough for me, so I shall get this as soon as I am able.

Minus the minotaur / plus different magical beings, that's precisely what my book's about hence the interest - it'd be research :censored:! Your word is good enough for me, so I shall get this as soon as I am able.

Ooh thats a lot of responsibilty!! I feel I ought to warn you that there is a slightly disturbing (I'm not sure if that is the right word but it's the best i can do) sex scene in the book. It's a while since I read it so I can't remember it exactly, but I know from other threads that these can put you off, so if you are taking my recommendation I feel the need to make you aware. I hope that if you do decide to get it you enjoy it!

Thanks for the warning :censored: though ultimately, disturbed or not, I won't put down a book which I'm loving on all other counts - for instance, I persevered with Keith Miller's The Book of Flying though it contained some scenes which disturbed me quite a bit (including, coincidentally enough,

a sex scene involving a minotaur!

), because absolutely everything else (characters, language, message) was so beautiful I couldn't bear to leave the book unfinished. Being disturbed will generally be the deciding factor in making me forsake a book I'm not happy with for at least another reason.