M. Night Shyamalan

AbielleRose

M_Night_Shyamalan.jpg

M. Night Shyamalan (Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan), is a filmmaker and screenwriter who resides and works primarily in the United States. He is known for making movies with contemporary supernatural plots that usually climax with a twist ending.

His filmography includes:

Praying with Anger (1992)

Wide Awake (1998)

The Sixth Sense (1999)

Unbreakable (2000)

Signs (2002)

The Village (2004)

Lady in the Water (2006)

The Happening (2008)

The Last Airbender (in theaters summer 2010)

Shymalan is one of my favorite directors so I thought we could use a little place to discuss him and his films. His latest project, The Last Airbender, looks amazing and I can't wait for summer so I can go see it! Here is a link to the trailer for those who haven't been through the movie's personal thread.

http://www.thelastairbendermovie.com/

So what is your favorite movie of his? Do you have a book who's portrayal you would like to see on the big screen directed by him?

Edited by CaliLily

I'm a big fan. I've seen all his films from 6th Sense onwards with the esception of The Happening. The only one I wasn't so thrilled with was Unbreakable, but that could have been because it's almost impossible to follow something like The Sixth Sense and have it look anywhere near as good! I loved The Village but I have a special place in my heart for Lady in the Water - there's something so whimsical about it, such a gentle film in comparison to so many other films of its genre and fantastic performances all round.

Like you, I think The Last Airbender looks like all kinds of awesome and I can hardly wait to see it!

Ooh, and according to the site, I'm an Earthbender, seeing as how I was born in September. :D

Edited by Kell

I agree about Unbreakable. The Sixth Sense is my personal favorite of his and you just can't follow that one up (especially so closely timewise) with something like Unbrakable.

I would love to see him get more into fantasy movies like The Last Airbender.

Good thread Abby :D I recently watched Signs actually, I saw it in the cinema when it originally came out but thought I'd have another little watch, and I still really enjoyed it. If you can overlook the fact there are a couple of things that don't really add up and just see it for the reinvention of a man's faith, then it's a wonderful film. I like Shyamalan's visual direction in general, but I haven't seen the last two films he has done.

I liked The Village and Unbreakable, but The Sixth Sense became a bit irritating after a couple of viewings in my opinion, but then it's because I have seen it about 6 times :D

Signs is one I haven't and probably will not see. I have a thing about aliens and too much thought on them gives me nightmares for weeks!

What was so great about The Sixth Sense was that you just did not see that ending coming. It is so rare when you cannot even guess the general plot the story is going to take these days. So many hint towards it throughout the movie, I remember walking out of that theater thinking that was the best movie I had ever seen and wanting to go buy another ticket and sit through it again! :D

I love Shyamalan. He's got possibly the coolest name in the history of cool names. And his film aren't half bad either.

Signs is probably the first one I saw by him, and I don't think it's my favourite, but it's very close. It's an absolutely superb film. The Sixth Sense is okay, but it's now a total cliche and it was a cliche by the time I saw it. I knew the ending prior to watching it, so I wasn't blown away by it, and I cracked up laughing at the 'I see dead people' bit.

The Village was great, but I did feel it lacked a little something in the same way The Happening did, and I love The Lady In The Water - that's a work of art.

I haven't seen Unbreakable but I know the story, and it's my brother's favourite.

As for The Last Airbender, well, I watched about three episodes of the cartoon ages ago before being bored to tears so I can't say I have any interest in this movie. Watching the trailer it looks like a typical action blockbuster, nothing in it appears to have Shyamalan's trademark eerie darkness.

I really love The Sixth Sense, that plot is fantastically executed. Willis and Haley Joel Osment are brilliant at conveying real feeling to their roles. That cupboard scene... no thanks!

The Village is an interesting film, it becomes a little silly but it's a good film. I don't like Signs much, I find it boring but Joaquin Phoenix is hilarious in it :D

I really enjoyed Unbreakable. I thought it had an interesting and unnerving storyline. The Sixth Sense is another favourite - I still get the shivers whenever I watch it, even though I've seen it many times. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy any of his other films...

I've seen:

The Sixth Sense (1999)

Unbreakable (2000)

Signs (2002)

The Village (2004)

Lady in the Water (2006)

The Happening (2008)

I quite liked the first 4 but wasn't keen on the last two - I thought Lady in the Water was awful and The Happening was just boring!