The Last Station - Jay Parini

Jessi

Has anyone else read this?

This was my review...

The Last Station by Jay Parini (4.5/5)

I just adored this novel. Having seen the trailer for the film with Helen Mirren and Christopher Plummer, I was inclined to give it a go and I am so glad that I did. Jay Parini is clearly a very gifted writer. This book gives just the right amount of detail and I could smell, see and touch everything in it. I got drawn into it.

The Last Station tells the story of Leo Tolstoy’s last year as he and his wife battle over his will and whether the profits of his work should go to the Russian people or his family. The marriage was one that nearly spanned half a century and produced thirteen children. Though both seem to feel at various times during the story that the marriage is over, I did not have to look far to find the love story in it.

I loved this and can’t wait to see the film and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Russia, History or just needs something different to read. It was an easy and refreshing read.

I so enjoyed it! What did you make of the characters if you have? Were you team Leo or team Sofia so to speak?

I felt so sorry for Sofia at times but I think Parini paints Tolstoy as quite a lovable character that I felt for him too.

Not really no - I haven't read any Tolstoy and did not know a lot about him and still loved it though there are obviously reference to his works throughout the novel. I think it might help but I wouldn't say you needed to have read his work.

I am trying to read the classics though rather than reading them I seem to be just collecting them at the moment!! LOL - I shall have to get through a few in the summer including Anna Karenina - after the Last Station I am inspired to give Tolstoy a go.

I have her diary on my TBR pile - it might have to wait till summer so I can give it my proper attention - I can't wait to read it as I am sure it is going to be fasinating.