Chrysalis' reading habits 2010

chrysalis_stage

The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum: Dry Store Room No.1 - Richard Fortey

51oa8zWDu6L._SS500_.jpg

Synopsis:

Behind the public facade of any great museum there lies a secret domain: one of unseen galleries, locked doors, priceless specimens and hidden lives. Richard Fortey, former senior palaeontologist at London's Natural History Museum, here celebrates its pioneering work - delving into the scandals and skulduggery that unfolded alongside extraordinary scientific endeavour. This is a facinating, affectionate account of a world of hidden treasures by a scientist who combines rigorous professional learning with a gift for prose that sparkles with wit and intellect.

My random thoughts:

I really enjoyed this book, the balance of information and humour was perfect in keeping my full attention; with other non-fiction books they can become a chore to get through at times but Fortey's humour pushed it along nicely and I am definitely a fan of the way he writes. Once picked up it was hard to put down but also very easy to get back into when picked up again after a break.

Fortey takes us into the secretive world of the museum, to get to know the cogs of the machine, without which the museum would not exist. I loved reading about the eccentric, passionate researchers, their area of research and other interests and at times their scandalous lives inside and outside of the museum as well as the changes within the museum over the years. The layout of the book is great meaning if you have a particular interest you could open the book at that chapter or return to at a later date, I know I will be, It covered things I already know and things I did not and now would like to look into further.

Also Fortey's constant comparisons of the museum building in South Kensington to the castle from Mervyn Peake's books of Gormanghast makes me want to read those soon.

A very enjoyable read, informative, amusing and inspiring.

Edited by chrysalis_stage

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate - Jacqueline Kelly - 338 pages

evolution.jpg

Synopsis: - Newbery Honour book

The summer of 1899 is hot in Calpurnia's sleepy Texas town, and there aren't a lot of good ways to stay cool. Her mother has a new wind machine from town, but Callie might just have to resort to stealthily cutting off her hair, one sneaky inch at a time. She also spends alot of time at the river with her notoriously cantankerous grandfather, an avid naturalist. It turns out that every drop of river water is teeming with life - all you have to do is look through a microscope!

As Callie explores the natural world around her, she develops a close relationship with her grandfather, navigates the dangers of living with six brothers, and learns what it means to be a girl at the turn of the century.

My name is Calpurnia Virginia Tate but back then everybody called my Callie Vee. That summer, I was eleven years old and the only girl of seven children. Can you imagine a worse situation.

My random thoughts:

When I stumbled across this book I was very excited to get my hands on it, it is aimed at young adults, but this is one of those books which is a charming read for all ages; a historical novel with a young female protagonist who is excited about the natural world and yearns to be a scientist; it sounded perfect to me.

Each chapter begins with a epigraph from the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin and after reading each chapter I returned to the epigraph and noticed how suitable each was, especially since this book inspires Calpurnia. The timing of the book is at the turn of the century witnessing new inventions and new ideas, making it an exciting time for Calpurnia to grow up and an interesting time to read about.

I love Calpurnia, her wit, individuality and enthusiasm to do what she enjoys (asking questions, mostly about the natural world and spending time outdoors) rather than what is expected of her, all the while trying to respect her mothers wishes to learn to cook, sew and act as a young lady. The relationship Calpurnia has with her grandfather is enviable and lovely to read about as well as the close bonds with her six brothers.

I really enjoyed reading this book, I loved the idea of it before I'd even read it and I can't stop looking at the cover. Calpurnia reminded of myself at times and I wish there were more young girls like Calpurnia now, maybe if they read this book they shall be inspired or at least acknowledge the struggle women had to go through in the past to achieve their goals. Ideally I would have liked other characters to have been fleshed out more but then that would have taken away from Calpurnia and it is the Evolution of Calpurnia after all.

Overall I can't complain, I would read it again and would recommend to young and old readers, a very charming read!

Edited by chrysalis_stage