Chrysalis' reading habits 2010

chrysalis_stage

Michel Faber - The Crimson Petal and the White - 835 pages

Synopsis:

Step into Victorian London and meet a host of unforgettable characters - including our heroine, Sugar, a young woman trying to drag herself up from the gutter any way she can.

Waterstones synopsis:

Gripping from the first page, this immense novel is an intoxicating and deeply satisfying read. Faber's most ambitious fictional creation yet, it is sure to affirm his position as one of the most talented and brilliant writers working in the UK. Sugar, an alluring, nineteen-year-old 'lady of the night' in the brothel of the terrifying Mrs Castaway, yearns for a better life. Her ascent through the strata of 1870's London society offers us intimacy with a host of loveable, maddening and superbly realised characters. At the heart of this panoramic, multi-layered narrative is the compelling struggle of a young woman to lift her body and soul out of the gutter. The Crimson Petal and the White is a big, juicy, must-read of a novel that will delight, enthral, provoke and entertain young and old, male and female.

My random thoughts:

It apparently took Faber 20 years to research and write and I could see alot of effort went into this to make it a delightfully accurate (as far as I’m aware) read which does transport you to 1870's London. It was the little touches which I liked such as the note of fashion change among corsets from a certain style to another (forget the names atm) around 1875. Faber's prose was very impressive, I loved to read the book aloud as the text flows so well, even the London accents/slang, which made it very easy to read (to Lumin - pet gerbil)

I sympathized with all the main female characters, Sugar, Emmeline Fox, Agnes and even the little girl Sophie. I was saddened when

Henry died, I really wanted to see more happen between him and Emmeline

I liked William Rackham to begin with (morally I probably shouldn't have) but rightly so disliked him as the book came to a close. My dislike started quite late really, it should have probably started alot sooner when he was being arsey, but the

photograph incident where William made Sugar sit for a photo which was used to imitate Agnes later

made me boil with annoyance then and everything negative that happened to William seemed like Karma (if you believe in that)

A very beautiful book even though the topic isn't thought to be that beautiful really, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So many characters made for a very interesting read and the depth of the main characters made me feel some were my best friends.

The ending was abrupt but I think Faber explained it brilliantly so I wasn't left feeling that jilted. I really enjoyed reading this book and have ordered 'The Apple' so that should come very soon.

An amazing multi-character account of Victorian London, if you enjoy this period and do not mind somewhat detailed accounts of sex, I would highly recommend this.

Edited by chrysalis_stage

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PUT ON HOLD

Slights - Kaaron Warren

41y3W4977oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis:

Stevie is a serial killer.

When she kills people she asks them:

"WHAT DO YOU SEE?"

She's about to find out

After an accident in which her mother dies, Stevie has a near-death experience, and finds herself in a room full of people -- everyone she's ever p*ssed off. They clutch at her, scratch and tear at her. But she finds herself drawn back to this place, again and again, determined to unlock its secrets. Which means she has to die, again and again. And she starts to wonder whether other people see the same room! when they die. The most disturbing novel of 2009. Read it if you dare.

Angry Robot book

File under:Horror, real-life terror, damaged lives, family secrets, beyond death.

Recommends if you like this to try: Let The Right One in/Ajvide Lindqvist, The Wasp Factory - Ian Banks and One - Conrad Williams; so if you have read any of those books you may enjoy this. :lurker:

My random thoughts:

Originally I was introduced to Warrens other book (Walking tree) recommended by Trudi Canavan but then I stumbled upon Slights and it grabbed me, already 30+ pages in I like the protagonist and it has already covered disturbing scenes. They have not disturbed me yet but I know they would others. So far I'm enjoying it, seems like it'll be an interesting read. :D

Edit: I like the wit of Stevie but she can be a real b*tch at times too lol

I'm guessing you are all talking about Fortey's Natural History Museum book?

If so, get it, tis brilliant! :friends0:

Well, I know I was! :lol:

Have you read any of his other books? We have a few of them, including Life, An Unauthorised Biography and Trilobite! Eyewitness to Evolution.

Well, I know I was! :friends0:

Have you read any of his other books? We have a few of them, including Life, An Unauthorised Biography and Trilobite! Eyewitness to Evolution.

:lol: I have Life on my tbr list and look forward to reading it, but after reading Dry Store Room No.1 and the bit about the trilobites, I can't seem to get those out of my head so I would like to get the Trilobite book by Fortey and learn some more. Have you read them and did you enjoy them?

I've read some of Life, and will finish it at some point, but I started it on holiday and then decided I wanted something lighter, and I haven't gotten round to picking it up again. I haven't read Trilobite, but my OH has read all his books and thinks they're all wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished The Crimson Petal and the White and am still intrigued to why the book is called such a name, is the crimson petal signifying Sugar and the white signifying Agnes...hmmm, maybe I missed something, not sure. Edited my previous post on the book and posted my thoughts on the page before this one. :)

Still reading Dry Store Room No1 and started China Mieville - Perdido Street Station (867 pages long - another chunky) Put 'Slights' on hold, in the mood for fantasy rather than horror atm thats all.

I would tend to think the same thing about the crimson being Sugar and the white being Agnes.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Perdido Street Station. I've had this book for a little while but have been put off by its size. Having read a couple of chunky books lately, I'm not feeling so daunted so I might give it a go soon. I've just ordered a third China Mieville book so I should really start reading the two I already have. :D

Yes I fancy 'The City & The City' too, I've not got it yet but it's on my mental TBR. I've got 'Un Lun Dun' by China Mielville, which I must get around to reading soon. It'll be interesting to compare it with Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere' as the theme's are similar.

Look forward to reading what you make of Perdido Street Station :D

Finished The Crimson Petal and the White and am still intrigued to why the book is called such a name, is the crimson petal signifying Sugar and the white signifying Agnes...hmmm, maybe I missed something, not sure.

I would tend to think the same thing about the crimson being Sugar and the white being Agnes.

The translator of my Finnish copy notes that the English title The Crimson Petal and the White is a reference to Tennyson's well-known love poem Now sleeps the crimson petal, now the white, which is a part of the poem collection called The Princess. I don't know if that helps you guys :D

That part of the poem is mentioned in the book, Frankie. I could remember a direct reference but couldn't remember what it was, so thanks for posting that. :D

Oh thanks Frankie :D that definitely helps, gives us something more to think about, thank you!

Also looked at China Mieville's new book Kraken, it sounds really good especially with the use of the Natural History Museum within the story and the somewhat homage to Lovecraft but think i'll resist purchasing till the paperback is out, anyone else like the look of it?

Synopsis: This is a dark urban fantasy thriller from one of the all-time masters of the genre. Deep in the research wing of the Natural History Museum is a prize specimen, something that comes along much less often than once in a lifetime: a perfect, and perfectly preserved, giant squid. But what does it mean when the creature suddenly and impossibly disappears? For curator Billy Harrow it's the start of a headlong pitch into a London of warring cults, surreal magic, apostates and assassins. It might just be that the creature he's been preserving is more than a biological rarity: there are those who are sure it's a god. A god that someone is hoping will end the world.

Michel Faber - The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories (sequel/prequel) - 199 pages

Synopsis:

Enjoy more Sugar...Join Clara at the rat pit...Relax with Mr Bodley as he is lulled to sleep by Mrs Tremain and her girls...Find out what became of Sophie. Michel Faber revisits the world of his best-selling novel "The Crimson Petal and the White", conjuring tantalising glimpses of its characters, their lives before we first met them and their intriguing futures. You'll be desperate for more by the time you reluctantly re-emerge into the twenty-first century.

My random thoughts:

It was enjoyable to read more of Faber’s work set in ‘The Crimson’ period. A total of seven stories with four of the stories taking place in the future from ‘The Crimson’, not necessarily containing the characters fans of ‘The Crimson’ probably would have liked, while the other three are set in the past fleshing out characters already known to readers of 'The Crimson'.

I enjoyed some stories more than others, a few were a nice addition to the main story such as ‘The fly and it’s effect upon Mr Bodley’ while ‘Chocolate Hearts From the New World’ did not make that much sense too me, I did not grasp the whole point of the story.

'Christmas in Silver Street’ and ‘The Apple’ were stories about Sugar, while they were set in a time when she was younger, it continued to flesh out her likeable character.

‘Clara and the Rat Man’ was very funny in parts as well as disconcerting knowing Clara has had to degrade herself so.

Medicine’ was an interesting read, seeing William Rackham 15 years later still blaming Sugar for his downfalls and finding himself in a similar position as Agnes was…karma?

‘A Mighty Hoard of Women in Very Big Hats Advancing’ was the most insightful story of the lot and the longest story. With a very interesting narrator/protagonist,

Sophie’s son, Henry at the age of ninety-two years old.

It starts off making you think everything will be explained to what happened to Sophie and Sugar but it just seems to spark more unanswered questions. I enjoyed this last story and would say it is worth buying this book just to read this story alone after reading ‘The Crimson Petal’ though

Faber reminds me of Murakami in the sense he has left things open to interpretation. There are some writers that like the reader to make their own interpretations while others want you to come to a certain and definite conclusion and I like the idea of many people reading the same book and coming away from it with varying ideas and beliefs of what happens to the characters once the book is closed making no one right or wrong.

I somewhat agree with Faber when he says explaining what happened to main characters from the book would take the life out of them, this way they will continue to haunt us.

I would recommend this book to those who loved ‘The Crimson Petal and the White’ and are finding it hard to let go of the characters, while it will not answer many questions it is still something to hold on to for a while longer. It has been said this can be read as a stand alone or prequel but I personally wouldn’t have been that impressed if I had read this without prior knowledge of characters from ‘The Crimson’ and two of the stories especially would have personally ruined the reading suspense of ‘The Crimson’ had I read 'The Apple' first. Overall I did enjoy 'The Apple' and am glad to have read it. It is nothing substantial in comparison to the predesessor but it was nice to have more to read on the period and known characters.

Thanks for the review of The Apple, Chrysalis, I'm looking forward to reading this and your review has definitely whetted my appetite for it even more. Hopefully I'll get to it by the end of the week. :D