Who's afraid of the Bogeyman.....

runner

Having almost finished the Bill Hussey book Through a Glass Darkly I went to bed in the small hours last night (having checked all the doors and windows twice :D) with demons blood, flesh dripping with blood...and more blood :D, on my mind...and enjoyed the worst nights sleep in a very long time. I don't actually know what I dreamt but I know that my imagination is very powerful at night...it scared the hell out of me...I woke up in a sweat and can only blame the reading of this vivid and frightening horror story....anyone else have real dreams....or am i just a big girls blouse :lol::D

runner (behind the sofa darkly!)

I have had very bad dreams in the past as a result of a far to active imagination, but I find it worse when I am still awake..I have in the past had to get up and check every room and cupboard in the house then go to bed with a knife under the pillow..In my defence I do live alone and scare easily..suprised i didn't manage to cut myself on the knife whilst asleep though. :D

The worst dream I had was about a doll leading a group of dolls the were about toddler size coming to get me..freaky!!

I have had very bad dreams in the past as a result of a far to active imagination, but I find it worse when I am still awake..I have in the past had to get up and check every room and cupboard in the house then go to bed with a knife under the pillow..In my defence I do live alone and scare easily..suprised i didn't manage to cut myself on the knife whilst asleep though. :D

The worst dream I had was about a doll leading a group of dolls the were about toddler size coming to get me..freaky!!

and is this all from reading horror books pickle?

I usually get terrible nightmares if I'm reading Chuck Palahniuk or general horror. Some of them have been so disturbing I don't dare tell anyone for fear that they'll send me away to live in a padded cell!

One of the worst dreams I ever had was while reading Rant. I dreamt that I bought a piece of meat from a butchers in the town where I used to live and cooked it before taking it in to work for people to eat. They loved it and asked for more so I went back to the butchers where I was ushered into the backroom to see humans were being skinned alive and chopped into pieces for sale. I then saw a head hanging from a meat hook and I woke up crying.

Once I'd calmed down and managed to get to sleep again, I dreamt that a maniacal skinless man was running around my house as I lay in bed. Talk about a horrific dream! I didn't dare go back to sleep. :D

There's a part in Rant which is quite bloody etc so I'm putting it down to that. Yack.

It was horrible....I felt sick afterwards! Yack! I haven't had dreams like that for a while, thank goodness, but I went through a phase of having ones similar to those almost every night.

These days I don't delve into the gruesome quite as often :D

I get creeped out pretty easily. When I've been reading horror books when my OH's out at night especially. It makes me grateful for the half a pool que under the bed!!!!

After I read Cell I ended up have zombie nightmares and I woke up sweating and shakey.

Although I think Nicola's dream beats mine hands down - freaky!

I'm not surprised you get creeped Cookie as I see you are now reading the collected works of Edgar Allan Poe:)

Yeah, I like things that scare me. Like I have a little voice in my head that says "that looks scary lets do it!" Same reason I'm addicted to the biggest baddest rides at the fair!:D

I have to agree with Nollaig, I never get that scared by books. Ever. Even when I was a kid I only can remember getting scared once, think it was by a Dean Koontz book, I was like.. 9?

But since then, nope. I can read the most gross, bloody, disturbing books and sometimes I do dream about them.. but it doesn't scare me. I have had dreams like Nicola described, bloody and supposed to be scary, but they don't scare me if that makes any sense. Sometimes I find it fascinating to have dreams like that, when you wake up you really have to think about them then..

I have had dreams like Nicola described, bloody and supposed to be scary, but they don't scare me if that makes any sense. Sometimes I find it fascinating to have dreams like that, when you wake up you really have to think about them then..

They are quite fascinating to analyse. Sometimes they have an interesting story running through them so it's as if I've just watched a horror movie....but they really do shake me up, just like horror movies I suppose :D

Hee hee, yeah I know what you mean, horror films for dreams. Though that's maybe why those dreams don't scare me.. since horror films about blood and gore don't scare me. Throw in all the blood and gore you want, I might go "ew" :roll: but I don't get scared by that. Never really have, and since I started studying Medical Biology even less.. we had to study animal anatomy, which means cutting into dead animals.. and I watched a human autopsy too for my studies. Plus in my internship I operated on rats. So yeah, blood and such doesn't really disturb me, not even when they're flying round hee hee (which wasn't the case at my studies). Am sure there's a film or book out there that would be the exception to the rule, but generally, no.

I scare easier when it comes to ghost stories.. or well, films then. Books, even about ghosts, never really scare me. But a scary horror film about ghosts can leave me not able to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning on all the lights. :D Silly really, since I don't really believe in ghosts. :(

I have only ever been genuinely scared to the point of not wanting to read any more by The Shining and The Stand. King has managed to scare me witless countless times yes but usually a little shake of the head is enough to remove any lingers of fear in my mind but two particular moments in the aforementioned books will stay with me forever.

The first book, The Shining, described a scene where Danny had to enter room 237 on his own only to be 'chased' away down the big empty corridor by a fire hose that unraveled itself from the wall and scared the boy off.

The second book, The Stand, described a scene where an old man traveling to Vegas in the middle of nowhere holds up in a deserted hotel for the night. Whilst reading, he hears a tapping against the window and he looks up to see a crow tapping his window with his beak 3 times and then staring at him then resuming the tapping and staring. The crow had red eyes and seems to be grinning.

Something about the way King describes those two scenes chilled my blood.

I love scary books and horror films. There have only been a few that have really scared me. When I was really young, I watched Poltergeist 3, and ever since, I've had a serious fear of mirrors. When I was in the shower yesterday, I started getting scared of being in the bathroom alone and I didn't want to see my reflection in the bathroom mirror. I called for BF, but he couldn't hear me...but I didn't want to be alone in there! In the end, I dried off as quickly as I could and hightailed it outta there! My boyfriend had a good laugh when he found me all freaked out.

My favorite scary movies are Japanese ones, like Rinne and Chakushin Ari. And I love horror novels! John Saul, Stephen King, Dean Koontz...these were all my favorites when I was young.

The second book, The Stand, described a scene where an old man traveling to Vegas in the middle of nowhere holds up in a deserted hotel for the night. Whilst reading, he hears a tapping against the window and he looks up to see a crow tapping his window with his beak 3 times and then staring at him then resuming the tapping and staring. The crow had red eyes and seems to be grinning.

That sounds truely disturbing (which makes me want to buy it!) :ditto: Eeeeek!

That sounds truely disturbing (which makes me want to buy it!) :ditto: Eeeeek!

Its absolutely horrifying. And the fact that the man is all alone with no signs of civilization or indeed life (everyone is dead) and the crow is staring at him from outside his window ledge, taunting him, makes it all the more scary. Plus the fact that the crow is the Devil himself.

By all means buy it ha :lol:

Its absolutely horrifying. And the fact that the man is all alone with no signs of civilization or indeed life (everyone is dead) and the crow is staring at him from outside his window ledge, taunting him, makes it all the more scary. Plus the fact that the crow is the Devil himself.

By all means buy it ha :ditto:

I'm adding it to my to buy list as we speak :lol: I seem to be attracted to books that come with guaranteed nightmares for some crazy reason! :lol:

I'm adding it to my to buy list as we speak :lol: I seem to be attracted to books that come with guaranteed nightmares for some crazy reason! :ditto:

Well at least it makes the book memorable, there are certainly books that i, and im sure you, read that i struggle to remember years later, the characters and plot have vanished! But big dramatic moments like comedy and scares can keep that book in your mind a lot longer.

Mind you, just like films, a bad book will stay in the memory for a long time, too, and that could be enough of a nightmare in itself!!

Well at least it makes the book memorable, there are certainly books that i, and im sure you, read that i struggle to remember years later, the characters and plot have vanished! But big dramatic moments like comedy and scares can keep that book in your mind a lot longer.

Mind you, just like films, a bad book will stay in the memory for a long time, too, and that could be enough of a nightmare in itself!!

Absolutely! :lol: My Mam has started to read again after about 10 years of not reading a thing. I've been recommending so many books and you're totally right, I always give her the names of books which have those amazing scenes. They also have to be tame as she won't stand for anything slightly rude or bloody or scary.......so basically anything Catherine Cookson and even that's pushing it! :lol:

I read a book called The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom last year. I didn't rate it too high (maybe a 4 out of 10) but it had a pretty scary scene of a clicking sound in the night which turns out to be something sinister. It was so scary that I had to put it down 3 times and do something to take my mind off it :lol: It's such a shame that I didn't enjoy the rest of the book as it had such potential.....the blurb sounds great though :ditto:

Absolutely! :lol: My Mam has started to read again after about 10 years of not reading a thing. I've been recommending so many books and you're totally right, I always give her the names of books which have those amazing scenes. They also have to be tame as she won't stand for anything slightly rude or bloody or scary.......so basically anything Catherine Cookson and even that's pushing it! :lol:

I read a book called The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom last year. I didn't rate it too high (maybe a 4 out of 10) but it had a pretty scary scene of a clicking sound in the night which turns out to be something sinister. It was so scary that I had to put it down 3 times and do something to take my mind off it :lol: It's such a shame that I didn't enjoy the rest of the book as it had such potential.....the blurb sounds great though :ditto:

Your point about that book just proves that scary or unpredictable moments make us remember a book much more! You may not have liked the book but you do remember that fact that you found some of it so scary you had to distract yourself. With alcohol to build up courage to read again i assume? :lol:

By the sounds of it, i wouldn't give your mum a book like The Road or The Shining, perhaps a nice cup of tea and a copy of the crossword is more appropriate!