Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

I think I've finally kicked the sugar habit!  I haven't had sugar in my coffee for three weeks now.  I do still occasionally have a flavoured syrup in a iced coffee if I'm in a coffee shop, but day to day drinks are now sugar free zones.

Have also been walking a lot more doing my Gromit hunting, as well as picking up my exercise on the Wii, so feeling a bit virtuous at the moment, and had a slice of cake as a treat today.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost about 10 lbs in April/May and have put a few back on so am still 7lb to the good and seem to have stabilised at that for now.  I would love to say it is because I found a diet that suited me and had been really good, but no - I was quite ill (off work for 3 weeks, still feeling really unwell for another 3 weeks after that) and that did the trick! :D 

I have started going to the gym too, but I don't expect to lose any weight from it as no type of exercise has ever seemed to actually shift weight off me (by the same token, stopping exercise has never made me put on weight - I just seem to be immune to the effects!).  I am enjoying feeling more toned, though.

I've lost about 35 kg in the last 2 years. I've been going to the gym 3 days a week to do weight lifting and changed my diet to 80% with some low-carb thrown in.

I can't wait till I've got my body fat down to 20% (currently 26%), then I can start to acctually build muscles, instead of just maintaining what's there. But I fear the pregnancy will rather throw on quite a few percent points for me. It sucks to be unable to train.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I've finally kicked the sugar habit!  I haven't had sugar in my coffee for three weeks now.  I do still occasionally have a flavoured syrup in a iced coffee if I'm in a coffee shop, but day to day drinks are now sugar free zones.

Have also been walking a lot more doing my Gromit hunting, as well as picking up my exercise on the Wii, so feeling a bit virtuous at the moment, and had a slice of cake as a treat today.

Fantastic!!  It's a major accomplishment to give up sugar in tea and coffee.  But so worth it.  Yays! :)

I lost about 10 lbs in April/May and have put a few back on so am still 7lb to the good and seem to have stabilised at that for now.  I would love to say it is because I found a diet that suited me and had been really good, but no - I was quite ill (off work for 3 weeks, still feeling really unwell for another 3 weeks after that) and that did the trick! :D

I have started going to the gym too, but I don't expect to lose any weight from it as no type of exercise has ever seemed to actually shift weight off me (by the same token, stopping exercise has never made me put on weight - I just seem to be immune to the effects!).  I am enjoying feeling more toned, though.

How are you doing now Ooshie? 

I've lost about 35 kg in the last 2 years. I've been going to the gym 3 days a week to do weight lifting and changed my diet to 80% with some low-carb thrown in.

I can't wait till I've got my body fat down to 20% (currently 26%), then I can start to acctually build muscles, instead of just maintaining what's there. But I fear the pregnancy will rather throw on quite a few percent points for me. It sucks to be unable to train.

Great accomplishment Sakura.  That's the way to do it, over a period of time.  It tends to stay off better when you go about it the way you have.

/sigh/  I've started back on a diet at least three times in the last 6 or 7 months, never lasted over a week, and I'm almost afraid to write about it, as we've only started again today.  hah  But I feel really determined this time.  I've gained back 20 of the 33 I'd initially lost early last year.  So.  Here goes!  I've been very sketchy about the treadmill lately too.  No excuses, but my back has been in and out so much lately it was too painful to do it properly.  Just had a spinal adjustment today, and tomorrow it's on with the back brace and onto the treadmill.   Fortunately my husband is on the diet as well, and supports the diet and exercise regime. 

I've avoided this thread for the most part as I felt so guilty about not keeping that weight off completely.  No more :hide:  !!

Good luck with everything Pontalba, I hope you ans hubby find the willpower this time around, it's tough.. I started at the gym a few months ago and at the same time ate really well and though I didn't really need to lost weight I felt and looked so much better. Only problem was that I hated the gym so I cancelled my membership, am still eating a little better but I really need to take myself in hand because I'm getting more migraines again and have less energy. I know it's because I'm drinking a little wine and a few sweet snacks, and I have a low intolerance to sugar which isn't helping. Maybe it will be easier when the kids are back at school next week and I can get back into a routine.

Thanks chalie, I think we can do it this time around. :)

BTW, I sometimes would get really horrible headaches a little while after drinking wine, or even mixed drinks.  I googled around to see what I could find, and found some people saying that they took Claritin a little while before drinking.  It did the trick for me.  Also, I'll drink a cup of coffee for the caffeine, that helped me too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, everybody!! You're doing a great job!

I've lost other 2 kg last week (4,4 lbs) but not becase I wanted to: my disease is .. I don't know how to say it .. changing (?) and it's not a great news. I feel a little better during the day, but now I spend every night shaken by hypoglycemic shocks: I can't move, I can't speak, drenched in cold sweat and tachycardia. I can solve a crisis like this during the day, but it's really hard during the night because no one can help me. I'm seeing the doctor in a few days, but when I phoned her she said it's a new phase of hyperinsulinemia and I just have to understand how to handle it. I don't know why I'm losing weight this fast, though.

Oh, Eleonora.  I certainly hope by "understand how to handle it", she means some dietary or medicinal methods that (at least partially) relieve those symptoms.  And soon!!  That is a terrible experience to go through, and I really admire you for your grace under pressure.  :friends0:  :friends0:  :friends0:

I had to post this article from the New York Times this morning.  In Gut Research’s Latest Advance, Bacteria From Thin Humans Can Slim Mice Down .

If that don't beat all! Wow!

Eleonora, I started reading your post, and thought "Oh well done!" , then I read the rest.    :( Such a horrible situation to experience, but especially at night.  I hope you and your doctor can find a way to manage it if a cure isn't possible. Take very good care of yourself.    :empathy:

Thanks Chrissy, :kissing:

We're trying something different for tonight: a glass of milk on my bedside table, I will drink it when I'll feel the shock is coming and we'll see if it works. If this won't work we'll trying other solution. Don't worry too much for me, though.. I'm a fighter!! Or at least, that's what I'm trying to be :blush2:

Yes, Pontalba, it's more or less what happens to me at night but the cause is different from the most common ones described in the article. My illness is this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinsulinemia

And I can't take any sugar when I have a Hypoglicemic shock because I can't eat sugar in any form, especially if it's not followed by proteins. That's why is so difficult to stop those crisis. Some people are fine after a glass of milk but it's not working. I have to go back to hospital next week and we'll see what to do: they will check me during the night and we'll try different solutions. I feel a little like a laboratory animal.. I just hope it will work. I've been trying anything for the last 7 years, but the disease is changing faster then the medical knowledge. It's a fighter, but it does not know I'm tougher!

Thank you dears, you're all so sweet!! :friends0:   We all have our cross to bear, haven't we?

Chalie, I think milk is suppesed to help because it's mainly based on protein and lactose: proteins should contrast sugar according to my doctor, so milk should be a "neutral" food..  I don't  know..

Let's wait for next week and see.

Yes, Pontalba, it's more or less what happens to me at night but the cause is different from the most common ones described in the article. My illness is this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinsulinemia

And I can't take any sugar when I have a Hypoglicemic shock because I can't eat sugar in any form, especially if it's not followed by proteins. That's why is so difficult to stop those crisis. Some people are fine after a glass of milk but it's not working. I have to go back to hospital next week and we'll see what to do: they will check me during the night and we'll try different solutions. I feel a little like a laboratory animal.. I just hope it will work. I've been trying anything for the last 7 years, but the disease is changing faster then the medical knowledge. It's a fighter, but it does not know I'm tougher!

Ahh, thank you for the link, Elenora.  I understand more now.  I'm more than sorry that you have to go through this, and hope and wish it to be solved with this hospital observation stay.  You are right, you are tough, and a fighter.  I have faith in you. :friends3:  :flowers2:

I should add that the diet is two weeks old, and going strong.  Treadmill is on and off as my back has been wonky again, but with the back brace it is much easier.  Still only 5 pounds off, and husband 10 pounds.  But, I can fit into the in between size blue jeans as opposed to the larger ones I'd bought, so progress is being made.  I've noticed in the past that I'll see the loss in my clothes before the scale, so I'm happy about that.

Thanks. VF. :)

I must admit, our day trip down to New Orleans today put a bit of a crimp into the diet, we had some carbs.....but all the walking we did should at least balance the scales (literally) somewhat.  hee hee

Back to low, low carbs again tomorrow!