Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

I have had Catcher on my TBR list for about four years now, I bought it on recommendation from my college lit teacher, I do look forward to getting onto it :lol:

I read about fifteen more pages of Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought Catcher in the Rye last night

I totally love Cather in the Rye ;) Thinking about it makes me want to read it again.

I've read a few more pages of Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk last night before bed. I've got a quite a bit of work on today and out helping my Aunt choose her wedding dress tomorrow so I'm not sure if I'll have a lot of reading time this weekend :lol:

Oooooh also, not sure if I've already mentioned it, I received Storm Front by Jim Butcher in the post the other day.

Here is the little synopsis from Barnes and Noble. I was scheduled to read it my final year in high school but ended up transfering schools to a private institution for my final year where they had alredy read it in a previous year's work, so now I'm finally going back and catching up on it. I could have sworn that I checked it out of the library at one point my senior year with the intent to read it but the more I think about it, I'm sure I never did.

The hero-narrator of THE CATCHER IN THE RYE is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices-but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle it to keep.

The Lovely Bones really captured a part of me. In all honesty, it was one of the most difficult books for me to read just because of the beginning, but I would consider it a great book and one that I want to read again before I form a fully rounded opinion of it. How about you?

Wow, thanks for the description, i actually had a completely different picture as to the plot of Catcher in the Rye but it sounds intriguing and is definitely on my TBR list, sometime this year.

I did enjoy the book of The Lovely Bones and was waiting for how disturbing the opening of the book was but to be honest it was quite tame, especially compared to the graphic accounts of abuse in Precious by Sapphire. I know Sebold doesnt base the whole book on the murder but the reaction to it i think was a bit excessive. As for the plot, it certainky was original and captivating, shame it lost its way halfway throughh, in my opinion. I just felt it shifted down a few gears and served up a flat ending.

The movie is out here this weekend and i am going to watch it next weekend and am looking forward to it. Hopefully Sairse Roinan will make the movie worth all the awards.

Received The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom from Diane (Inver) this morning and I have now finished it. Haven't rated it yet but it will definitely get a high rating from me. I really enjoyed this short book.

I am still reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. :lol: I am about 135 pages in and I am determined to finish it this weekend so I can get stuck into the Karin Slaughter books I have in my TBR. ;)

I am enjoying it Missy, i just think it is a bit hard to read. I bought the book over a year ago and stopped reading after 37 pages but I am determined to finish it this weekend. My reading tastes have also changed in the passed year too.

I've just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns - really good book. I best not say too much as some people may be currently reading it!

We get to discuss it next month missy. You finished that one really quick. I struggled with it, took me a whole week. Can't wait to see what you thought of it.:lol:

So I'm reading Fire in the Blood by Irene Nemirovsky and I am not enjoying it. Im debating putting it aside for another book. I've been on a reading roll this year (this book being # 7 which is a looot for me in 2 months lol) and I'm worried this book will ruin it. To continue to read this? or drop it for another book? hmmm...

Despite my pledge to only read classic books from the library, i purchased 1984 by George Orwell today in my local bookshop. It was only 10euro and had a cool cover so i dont feel so bad!

Is that the Penguin edition with 1984 written in red with an eye beneath it? The back says 'Cover design by Shepard Fairey'. That's the edition I bought recently, even though I already had a copy. I just love this cover. I know there's also an edition out that has the 'War is Peace...' quote on the cover, but no actual reference to the book's title, which I think is pretty cool.

I've read another 220 pages of Cloudstreet this weekend, and I'll no doubt fit in more tonight. It's an excellent book.

I may also start on Coraline by Neil Gaiman shortly.

As per usual I'm really struggling to get any reading done at home. I just can't concentrate with tv and people distracting me.

I know the feeling, TV, kids and now twitter :lol:

I gave up reading Fire in the Blood and am now reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. about 100 pages in, im enjoying it ;)

I do hope you like the Dragon tattoo.

As for me I read 20 oages of 3rd Degree before I went to sleep in bed. As normal, super quick easy to read book. Very James Patterson.