Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 40 pages left of Let the Right One In. Should be finished later today :( This feels like the longest it's taken to read a book :giggle: I'm enjoying it but it feels everlasting. Next I can finish Wuthering Heights :lol:

Whoooo hooooo for you Stephanie! Does seem like you have been reading it for years :roll:

As for me, While the kids were in an indoor play area and my OH went out with some friends to say goodbye, as he is leaving tomorrow. I was able to read 80 pages of James Patterson's 3rd Degree. It is speeding through, very typical of Patterson's work.

Four books followed me home from my charity shop visit today;

Linda Fairstein's 'Bad Blood'

John Connolly's 'The Lovers'

Marjorie Blackman's 'Knife Edge' (I have 'Noughts And Crosses on my TBR mountain)

& Sarah Water's 'Affinity'

It was

I haven't done any reading today, but I'm bring two or three books to my parents with me for the weekend so hopefully I'll get some done. I've less than 100 pages in Something Wicked This Way Comes, and I think after that it will be I, Lucifer, World War Z, and Vlad, roughly in that order that I read.

Yesterday I read:

Born Standing Up - Steve Martin

Coma - Alex Garland

Both very short, both very good. Makes me wish Steve Martin would make a good film again.

Also finished Dracula by Bram Stoker. I reall enjoyed it when I started it but by the last hundred pages I was bored and the ending is a massive anti-climax. Glad I read it though.

Today I started The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Quantum Genius.

Also bought:

Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane

Lirael - Garth Nix

Abhorsen - Garth Nix

I finished Precious by Sapphire last night and i would rate it 8 out of 10, very moving and inspiring.

Today i rented Duma Key from the library and will start reading it next week. It's a book from King which i never did get around to reading because of college and then it slipped my mind, but i am looking forward to it now. Not one of his major releases, so i believe, but one which has received positive reviews.

Only 40 pages left of Let the Right One In. Should be finished later today :( This feels like the longest it's taken to read a book. I'm enjoying it but it feels everlasting. Next I can finish Wuthering Heights :roll:

Hope you've enjoyed it Stephanie :lol:

I finished Precious by Sapphire last night and i would rate it 8 out of 10, very moving and inspiring.

I really fancy seeing this in its movie form as I've heard it's amazing but tragic. Not sure if I'm reading for a heartbreaking tale just yet. Glad you enjoyed the book StephenKingman :17:

I've finished The Reunion by LJ Smith and made a start on Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk. So far so good but I regret starting it while eating lunch :giggle: *heave!*

I read about ten pages of Northanger Abbey on the way to town and then I went off on a wander in the forest this afternoon so sat in a field reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and watched the clouds :lol:

I read 110 pages of Cloudstreet yesterday. I can tell this is going to be an epic novel - the type I really like. It's terrific so far. :lol:

Today I finished my Trixie Belden book and now I'm going to concentrate on Cloudstreet again...if I can manage to stay awake!

I finished reading The Time of my Life by Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi. I started the book thinking that it would be really sad but it was very interesting and I found out many things about him that I hadn't known before. It's a really good autobiography :lol:

I got The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters out of the library but I haven't started it yet. Excited though as I love her ;)

Despite my pledge to only read classic books from the library, i purchased 1984 by George Orwell today in my local bookshop. It was only 10euro and had a cool cover so i dont feel so bad!

Also, there were a string of other classic books that i have never read on the same shelf as 1984- Catcher in the Rye, War and Peace etc, but i will get those books from the library when i can. SO my book activity cost me 10euro today.:lol:

Also, there were a string of other classic books that i have never read on the same shelf as 1984- Catcher in the Rye, War and Peace etc, but i will get those books from the library when i can. SO my book activity cost me 10euro today.:lol:

I just bought Catcher in the Rye last night along with Flowers for Algernon (couldn't resist :lol: its one of my all time favorites) and The Lovely Bones. I have read the second two but don't remember if I had ever read Catcher in the Rye or have just always wanted to.

I'll try and resist cracking open CitR until I finsih Gone with the Wind. ;) Hopefully I can make a bit of a dent in it this weekend!

I just bought Catcher in the Rye last night along with Flowers for Algernon (couldn't resist :lol: its one of my all time favorites) and The Lovely Bones. I have read the second two but don't remember if I had ever read Catcher in the Rye or have just always wanted to.

I'll try and resist cracking open CitR until I finsih Gone with the Wind. ;) Hopefully I can make a bit of a dent in it this weekend!

Im ashamed to admit that i havent a clue what Catcher in the Rye is even about! I know its a classic from JD Salinger, recently deceased, but apart from that nothing. Is it the only book released by Salinger or just the most successful.

Did you like The Lovely Bones then?:lol:

Here is the little synopsis from Barnes and Noble. I was scheduled to read it my final year in high school but ended up transfering schools to a private institution for my final year where they had alredy read it in a previous year's work, so now I'm finally going back and catching up on it. I could have sworn that I checked it out of the library at one point my senior year with the intent to read it but the more I think about it, I'm sure I never did.

The hero-narrator of THE CATCHER IN THE RYE is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices-but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle it to keep.

The Lovely Bones really captured a part of me. In all honesty, it was one of the most difficult books for me to read just because of the beginning, but I would consider it a great book and one that I want to read again before I form a fully rounded opinion of it. How about you?