Tunn300's 2010 Reads

tunn300

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no mojo and still hardly any reading. Did manage to pick up 12 books or �1 in our local library sale yesterday but still no real desire to read.

Too bad your mojo's gone AWOL :D:D I hope it returns quickly and you get to read the books you've just bought. What books did you buy if you don't mind my asking? ;)

• 1 month later...

519nn5DbLJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis - Amazon

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition . . .

Review

This book details the return to everyday society of Pat Peoples. Pat has been in a mental hospital for some time as he is obsessed with reuniting with his wife Nikki who has left him. As the book progresses we learn why and exactly how long Pat has been in the 'bad place' and why he is so convinced he and Nikki will be together again.

The book is very fast paced and easy to read with short sharp chapters. It is written from Pat's perspective so we get to see how difficult it is for him to return to his normal family life at first. Pat also sees his life as a movie that will end happily being reunited with Nikki and the book constantly refers to the movie formula, there is even a short montage chapter. The book does contain a lot of references to American football, however I have no knowledge of the game whatsoever but still managed to keep up.

When Pat meets Tiffany, another person who is struggling to cope with life without their partner the book changes tack and becomes more about their relationship. Tiffany is a very confusing character at first but as the book progresses all becomes clear.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and thought it offered an interesting insight into the struggles of Pat. When we do discover what Pat's life was like before he went to the 'bad place' and his reason for ending up there it is impossible not to feel sorry for him. A good read.

8/10

Well I have finally managed to read a book again!!!! It has been pretty much 2 months but I finished The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick last night. I really enjoyed it and am already looking forward to reading another book.

I think the last 2 months have just been so busy at work etc I simply have not had time to even think about reading but as things now die down I can get back to it.

Fingers crossed anyway. I am now going to start The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer.

After recapturing my reading mojo I have read about 80 pages of The Book of Lies and as a treat/reward to myself have bought 2 new books when out today. Picked up Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom and The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova for only �5.

• 3 weeks later...

51yvNOxJvjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis - Amazon

Cain killed Abel: the original murder. But the Bible is silent about one key detail: the weapon Cain used to kill his brother. It's a mystery that's never been solved. Until now.

In Florida, Cal Harper comes face-to-face with his family's greatest secret: his long-lost father, who's been shot with a gun that traces back to an unsolved murder in 1932. What could that murder have to do with the biblical one?

Father and son are suddenly thrown into a bloodthirsty quest for an ancient weapon, and the answer to a secret that people are dying to find.

But closing in on them is a man tattooed with the mark of Cain - the world's first killer. In his pocket he carries the means of causing a horrifying death. And in his heart an insatiable desire for what he believes is his birthright . . .

Review

I picked this book up a while ago when Asda were doing 2 books for £7 and I thought I may as well get another book to go along with my main purchase. I have never read any of this authors work before.

I was pretty disappointed with the book. I found the plot very convoluted and unrealistic. I found myself constantly bored with the book but did want to find out the ending so pushed on and read it anyway. The story follows the Cal Harper and his father who have just been reunited after many years apart. It transpires their reconciliation was more than just luck though as Cal's father needs help with a job he is working on. The plot then involves many more people and spans the history of time as everyone searches for a fabled book of lies. At one point the plot even involves the creator of superman and concentrates on his life story for quite some time. This all sounds very strange but I can promise it all happens in the book and more as I have not even touched on the role of Hitler and the Nazis!!!

Overall a disappointing read, there are some enjoyable bits in there but I found the ridicoulous plot kept getting in the way.

6/10

So I have started The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I have been meaning to read it for ages but other books kept getting in the way. Am now about 170 pages in and think it is a truly fantastic book so far. I love the characters and the setting of the book. Zafon's writing flows so well it is easy to get lost in the book and lose track of time. Off to read some more now. Will post review when finished.

Edited by tunn300

I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying TSofW so much, tunn300. It's on my top 5 books ever. 

I am still thoroughly enjoying it. Glad to hear you like it so much. Yesterday at the library I picked up Little Hands Clapping and intend to read it after I finish The Shadow of the Wind.

I am still thoroughly enjoying it. Glad to hear you like it so much. Yesterday at the library I picked up Little Hands Clapping and intend to read it after I finish The Shadow of the Wind.

Oooh, I can't wait to get to read your thoughts on Little Hands Clapping :) I may have to invest in it myself at some point in the near future. 

By the way, did you know that Carlos Ruiz Zafón has written The Angel's Game, which is a kind of a prequel to TSotW? It was published last year. I haven't read it yet myself but I'm expecting it to be good. 

Definitely looking forward to reading what you make of 'Little Hands Clapping', it's been on my TBR for what seems like ages. I really want to read 'The Prince of Mist' by Carlos Ruiz Zafón so looking forward also to reading your review of 'The Shadow of the Wind' .. I expect I'll have to put that on my TBR too :)

Definitely looking forward to reading what you make of 'Little Hands Clapping', it's been on my TBR for what seems like ages. I really want to read 'The Prince of Mist' by Carlos Ruiz Zafón so looking forward also to reading your review of 'The Shadow of the Wind' .. I expect I'll have to put that on my TBR too :)

I picked up Little Hands Clapping from North Swindon library actually. It was filed under lads lit so you may not have spotted it before. Whilst there I also picked up The Prince of Mist but it is a fast back book and is due back on Saturday. Am pretty sure I won't get round to it before then unfortunately.

51FiaakuMPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis - Amazon

Hidden in the heart of the old city of Barcelona is the 'cemetery of lost books', a labyrinthine library of obscure and forgotten titles that have long gone out of print. To this library, a man brings his 10-year-old son Daniel one cold morning in 1945. Daniel is allowed to choose one book from the shelves and pulls out 'La Sombra del Viento' by Julian Carax. But as he grows up, several people seem inordinately interested in his find. Then, one night, as he is wandering the old streets once more, Daniel is approached by a figure who reminds him of a character from La Sombra del Viento, a character who turns out to be the devil. This man is tracking down every last copy of Carax's work in order to burn them. What begins as a case of literary curiosity turns into a race to find out the truth behind the life and death of Julian Carax and to save those he left behind. A page-turning exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead.

Review

This book centers around Daniel, who when we meet him is a young boy of 10. We meet him on the night his farther shows him the cemetery of lost books. He is allowed to choose one book that is farther informs him he must look after for the rest of his life. Daniel chooses a book called the shadow of the wind by Julian Carax. Daniel is transfixed by this book and reads it in a night and is anxious to read more of this authors work, however he finds even the most knowledgeable local booksellers no very little about Carax. From what little Daniel is able to piece together he finds that the shadow of the wind was the last book written by Carax but that someone is going around and burning any of his novels they can lay their hands on. One night Daniel is approached by this disfigured stranger who offers to buy the book from hm for a small fortune. Daniel however refuses and strives to find out more about this mysterious author. The whole book is set with the backdrop of the Spanish Civil war and Franco and his fascist regimes rise to power.

I found this book to be truly excellent. It is really well written and appears to move at a nice gentle pace whilst all the time taking you on a roller coaster ride towards an exciting climax. The way Daniels life mimics Carax is slowly revealed to us and there are constant plot twists and turns that are impossible to see coming. The book deals well with so many genres thriller, historical fiction, mystery, romance, the list goes on and on however Zafon does it so well.

The characters are what make this book truly excellent as we sympathise, laugh and feel fear just like they do. Every character we meet has a well rounded story and plays a key part in the novel. All of this set in Barcelona which is depicted in such detail it is impossible not to feel like you are there.

This is a book I will be reading again and again over time as it is now one of my all time favourite books. If I had any criticism it is that the mysterious man who is buying all the Carax books identity can be guessed pretty early on, but this did not effect my overall enjoyment of the book. The twists and turns run all the way up to the conclusion of the book and kept me guessing what would happen to the final few pages. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, the best I have read this year, and will certainly be reading more of his work.

10/10

51%2BPRlobzdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis - Amazon

In a room above a bizarre German museum, and far from the prying eyes of strangers, lives the Old Man. Caretaker of the museum by day, by night he enjoys the sound of silence, broken by the occasional crunch of a spider between his blackened teeth. Little Hands Clapping brings together the Old Man with the respectable Doctor Ernst Frohlicher, his greedy dog Hans and a cast of grotesque and hilarious townsfolk, all of whose lives are thrown together as the town uncovers a crime so outrageous that it will shock the world. From its sinister opening to its explosive denouement, Little Hands Clapping blends lavishly entertaining storytelling with Rhodes's macabre imagination, entrancing originality and magical touch.

Review

This is the third book I have read by Dan Rhodes and he is an author who I really enjoy reading. This tale is set around a German museum that focuses its exhibits on suicide. The museum is owned by a women who believes through creating the museum she can show people the horrors of suicide and thus prevent people from doing it. I will not go into detail and spoil the plot but just to say the book mainly focuses on the curator of the museum, an old man and a local doctor and their handling of the problems a museum of suicide creates.

As with Gold the real strength of this book is the Characters Rhodes creates. The old man and Doctor and all the village people are so well crafted and humorous it is impossible not to enjoy spending time with them. Rhodes humor again echoes throughout the book and it is a very dark humor. At times I did find the plot a little tough going as it concerns some very dark things,

namely cannibalism and necrophilia.

These things are often told in a very lighthearted and funny way but I still felt a little uncomfortable reading it and especially telling my wife about the plot overall.

Again because of the humor and the interesting storyline I found myself reading the book in just over a day. I really enjoyed the book , not quite as much as Gold but it is still very good. The only thing I didn't like about the book was this middle section where I felt things got a little too dark. I am still a huge fan of Rhodes work and will look out for his next book with anticipation.

8/10

Excellent reviews on TSotW and LHC, tunn300! I'm really happy to hear TSotW is now one of your favorite novels ever. Actually I'm a little bit terrified of re-reading the book sometime, I fear that my mindset was perfect at the time to read the novel and now I couldn't match it and wouldn't enjoy it as much.

I picked up Little Hands Clapping from North Swindon library actually. It was filed under lads lit so you may not have spotted it before. Whilst there I also picked up The Prince of Mist but it is a fast back book and is due back on Saturday. Am pretty sure I won't get round to it before then unfortunately.

That's funny that lads lit section. I do sometimes look at it (it's on a carousel isn't it?) and I've seen authors there that would probably wince at the thought of being filed under 'lads lit' .. Will Self for instance (but then there's no reason why lads lit has to be the male equivalent of chick lit I suppose.) I have noticed Dan amongst them but I think it was probably 'Gold', but I'll definitely keep a look out for 'Little Hands Clapping.' .. great review, I'm looking forward to reading it (it wouldn't be a Dan Rhodes book if it didn't make you feel a bit queasy at some point.).

I'm often tempted by the 'fastback' books but I'm not near enough to get them back fast but it's interesting to see them because hopefully they'll be eventually put in amongst the 'slowbacks.' Hopefully 'Prince of Mist' will be available in the future, though I'm tempted to download it from Audible (to give me something to listen to while I pack or unpack a box.)

51FiaakuMPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis - Amazon

Hidden in the heart of the old city of Barcelona is the 'cemetery of lost books', a labyrinthine library of obscure and forgotten titles that have long gone out of print. To this library, a man brings his 10-year-old son Daniel one cold morning in 1945. Daniel is allowed to choose one book from the shelves and pulls out 'La Sombra del Viento' by Julian Carax. But as he grows up, several people seem inordinately interested in his find. Then, one night, as he is wandering the old streets once more, Daniel is approached by a figure who reminds him of a character from La Sombra del Viento, a character who turns out to be the devil. This man is tracking down every last copy of Carax's work in order to burn them. What begins as a case of literary curiosity turns into a race to find out the truth behind the life and death of Julian Carax and to save those he left behind. A page-turning exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead.

That book sounds amazing. *added to my wishlist.

51%2BPRlobzdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis - Amazon

In a room above a bizarre German museum, and far from the prying eyes of strangers, lives the Old Man. Caretaker of the museum by day, by night he enjoys the sound of silence, broken by the occasional crunch of a spider between his blackened teeth. Little Hands Clapping brings together the Old Man with the respectable Doctor Ernst Frohlicher, his greedy dog Hans and a cast of grotesque and hilarious townsfolk, all of whose lives are thrown together as the town uncovers a crime so outrageous that it will shock the world. From its sinister opening to its explosive denouement, Little Hands Clapping blends lavishly entertaining storytelling with Rhodes's macabre imagination, entrancing originality and magical touch.

Do I have to read the previous books or are they stand alone? That book sounds great! *added to wishlist*

Great reviews.

Hi catwoman,

So far all of Dan Rhodes books have been stand alone, Gold and Little Hands Clapping are both really good. Shadow of the Wind is truly n excellent book and I would recommend it to anyone.

That's funny that lads lit section. I do sometimes look at it (it's on a carousel isn't it?) and I've seen authors there that would probably wince at the thought of being filed under 'lads lit' .. Will Self for instance (but then there's no reason why lads lit has to be the male equivalent of chick lit I suppose.) I have noticed Dan amongst them but I think it was probably 'Gold', but I'll definitely keep a look out for 'Little Hands Clapping.' .. great review, I'm looking forward to reading it (it wouldn't be a Dan Rhodes book if it didn't make you feel a bit queasy at some point.).

I'm often tempted by the 'fastback' books but I'm not near enough to get them back fast but it's interesting to see them because hopefully they'll be eventually put in amongst the 'slowbacks.' Hopefully 'Prince of Mist' will be available in the future, though I'm tempted to download it from Audible (to give me something to listen to while I pack or unpack a box.)

There does indeed seem some random books in that section. The more I think about Little Hands Clapping the more I realise I enjoyed it and there are some very funny parts in there. Are you moving to Cirencester now?

We're moving out of our house on Monday, but not moving into our new (old) home in Cirencester until 3rd September .. the lady that owns it can't move until then. So we'll be gypsies for a month, I'll have no computer access (apart from in libraries etc) and hardly any mod cons (thank God for mobile phones.) I'm looking forward to exploring the Cirencester library but will still go to North Swindon because I love it in there and it'll probably be even closer than it is to me now.

I've had to close down my business temporarily (it's just a little craft based one) which means I won't have anything to do but read :) I'm making sure my prized TBR's don't get packed in a box and put in the Big Yellow at Swindon, along with the rest of our stuff.

Btw, thanks to your great review (and because it has the word library in it's synopsis) I couldn't resist buying 'The Shadow of the Wind' on the 3 for 2 at Waterstones this week :)

I read your review of The Shadow of The Wind and then saw it in a charity shop for 99p - what a bargain! I'm really looking forward to reading it when I finish the couple of library books I've got. :)

I hope everyone who has now bought The Shadow of the Wind enjoys it. I found it a fantastic book. As it was my birthday last week I received some book vouchers for Waterstones and have picked up some books in the 3 for 2 on fiction. I got;

The Angels Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Fingersmith - Sarah Waters

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Am off on holiday next Sunday and am now struggling even more to choose which books to take.

I hope everyone who has now bought The Shadow of the Wind enjoys it. I found it a fantastic book. As it was my birthday last week I received some book vouchers for Waterstones and have picked up some books in the 3 for 2 on fiction. I got;

The Angels Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Fingersmith - Sarah Waters

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Am off on holiday next Sunday and am now struggling even more to choose which books to take.

Just take one outfit and a swimming cossie and then fill the rest of the suitcase with books :giggle2: We all know that's the most important thing anyway! :D