Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

runner

Being new to the forum I would like to discuss the above book...but has it been discussed before?...i hope not and if this is ok I would like to discuss a major talent and a fantastic book on the crime thriller scene....if it has been discussed perhaps you could point me in the direction of the thread..

runner

This is an amazing debut nominated for a number of awards in 2008, the novel itself is best summed up by one of the reviewers " The atmosphere of paranoia and paralysing fear is brilliantly portrayed and unremittingly grim" The thriller is set in the 1950's when the cold war as at it's highest and Stalin ruled with an iron fist...everyone lives in fear and no one must show disloyalty to the state for fear of reprisals by the secret police. Officer Leo Demidov when we meet him is an idealistic war hero who believes he is helping to build the perfect and ideal society but gradually his loyalty to the state begins to weaver when he sees an innocent man interrogated....Against the background of a murderer on the run Leo is forced to choose where his heart and loyalties really lie. The atmosphere of fear and distrust is prevalent throughout the novel and makes this an edge of the seat read :lol: The location of the cold heartlands of Russia in the 1950's makes this one of the best debut novels I have ever read and I thoroughly recommend :lol:

I quite agree Runner. I thought it was an excellent, well written debut novel and I believe is being made into a film - directed by Ridley Scott.

It is another fine example of how life is portrayed in Stalin's Russia and the writer has a very good descriptive style - Moscow and surrounds (and Ukraine) felt like you were there. The opening chapters are particularly bleak.

I shall look forward to seeing it and hope it doesn't deviate form the book too much.

Edited by SueK

I read this last year and really enjoyed it. I remember at the time thinking that it was very "filmic" so it doesn't surprise me that it's going to come out as a film.

Have you read "The People's Act of Love"? It's set in Siberia and has a lot of similar themes.

No i haven't but i see the follow up book by tom rob smith the secret speech is due out in mid feb so i will def add to my reading list