Oscars 2010

Mexicola

So the Oscar nominations have been announced today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/feb/02/oscar-nominations-2010-full-list

Are there any nominees that you are particularly rooting for? Is Avatar gonna sweep the boards?

I would love for The Hurt Locker to win best picture and/or Kathryn Bigelow for Directing and for Christoph Waltz to win best supporting actor for Inglourious Basterds.

I'm happy to see Anna Kendrick got a nod for best supporting actress in Up In The Air :D 'm not even going to hazard a guess at who's going to win what though! Having not seen Avatar, I can't say whether it deserves to win or not.

I'm a bit torn when it comes to Avatar. While I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it's a great achievement, I then think of something like The Hurt Locker - not big budget or technically revolutionary but a much more real and thought provoking film. Also a great acheivement on a small budget.

Both have nine nominations each and the director of the Hurt Locker is James Cameron's ex-wife so will be interesting to see the results!

I hope that Up wins best animated.

I've seen precious few of the nominated films this year. I hope The Young Victoria gets a few - I notice it's up for Art Direction and Costume Design. Star Trek is up for Make-up and Sound Editing and Mixing. It's also in for Visual Effects, but I fear Avatar (which I haven't seen) will steal that one from it.

I'm not overly impressed with the nominations for Best Picture. I've only seen one of them (District 9) and I was severely disappointed by it on every level. I've not even heard of half the films on the list and that's unusual because I tend to keep up with what's coming out and make an effort to see quite a few.

I think Avatar is quite possibly going to pretty much sweep the boards.

I haven't seen Avatar and don't intend to since it's not really my kind of film, but from what I've heard it's well worthy of technical awards it's nom'd for but Best Picture? Not really.

I loved District 9 so I'm glad to see it get nominated since it was ignored during the Golden Globes. I'm disappointed that Sharlto Copley didn't get nominated for it for best actor, but was glad to see Jeff Bridges get a nod. I'm also excited for Coen's nomination with A Serious Man and hope they win!

I still need to see Precious, An Education, The Hurt Locker and A Single Man (I think that's the title). Oh and Up in the Air! How could I forget the talented Mr. Reitman?!

Thanks Mexicola for starting this thread, BTW. Have you seen A Serious man yet?

I am glad someone else enjoyed district 9 and also that it has some nominations as i think it was a great depiction of how humanity treats each other from apartheid and immigration points of view and that being different means you lose your humanity, it was more than a film about aliens landing on earth...really want to see Hurt Locker as loads of people have said how good it is.

Avatar is favourite for best picture which I don't agree with. The visual aspect of the film is impressive but I think as a piece of art, it is fairly ordinary. I haven't seen 'The Hurt Locker' yet, but I loved Inglourious Basterds. My favourite Tarantino film, it would be my pick. At least Waltz will get Best Supporting Actor. He was incredible in that role.

I think Avatar is quite possibly going to pretty much sweep the boards.

I just wanted to clarify that this statement is made without having seen the film. I'm purely going by the millions of people who seem to be banging on about it. Personally, I'm really not bothered about seeing it at all because the clips of the animation I've seen in trailers don't look all that great to me. I know, I know, I'm not seeing it with the fabulous, all-singing-all-dancing 3D, but seriously, the creatures don't look "real" to me, so it would probably spoil the whole film for me. Hence, I won't be bothering with it. It's just Pocahontas on another planet anyway, so I don't feel I'm missing all that much. :D

And I really cannot understand how District 9 has been nominated for Best Picture. It sucked on a grand scale! The script was dire, the acting was appalling, the direction was non-existant and the camera-work was shoddy (although I understand that it was supposed to be done "documentary style", it still wasn't good) and, to be honest, the effects weren't all that either. I've not yet met anyone who thought it was a great film - I've heard only of their vast disappointment after sitting through it. I felt like I'd wasted about 8 hours of my life when it's actually just shy of 2 hours long - it just dragged that much.

Edited by Kell

To be honest it took me a while to get into Avatar when I went to see it.. Wasn't that impressed by the beginning but thoroughly enjoyed it after maybe half an hour, thought the animation was fantastic.

Was surprised to see that The Road did not get any nominations - anyone else see this? I thought it was excellent.

Also Stanley Tucci in The Lovely Bones - agree with this nomination as Actor in Supporting Role - read an article on him and his late wife had advised him not to go for the role in this film because of the topic of the film. 'he found himself struggling to finish the story because the detailed rape and murder scenes were too traumatic' - he read the book by Alice Sebold and this was his reaction.

I read the book when I was quite young and remember finding it really disturbing. I saw the film through SeeFilmFirst, I don't think it is out until the 19th of February but it is very good, as is the book. I would recommend both the film and the book. The film is definitely not as traumatic as the book - it is certificate 12 and a lot of the more disturbing scenes are left out.

Thanks Mexicola for starting this thread, BTW. Have you seen A Serious man yet?

It didn't get a general release here and wasn't showing at any of my local cinemas so I'm sad to report that I've not seen it yet! Is it brilliant?!

I think it's a shame that Moon was completely overlooked, I thought it was worthy of a nomination.

Personally, I'm really not bothered about seeing it at all because the clips of the animation I've seen in trailers don't look all that great to me. I know, I know, I'm not seeing it with the fabulous, all-singing-all-dancing 3D, but seriously, the creatures don't look "real" to me, so it would probably spoil the whole film for me. Hence, I won't be bothering with it. It's just Pocahontas on another planet anyway, so I don't feel I'm missing all that much. :lol:

Yup, yup and yup. I agree on all counts. Although where you say 'Pocahontas' I say 'Dances With Wolves'. I've heard the world is amazing, and that it doesn't matter that the story is utterly generic and predictable, but I don't know. I can't imagine thinking it's that great. Though I'm tempted to go see it just to prove it. I definitely don't think it should get Best Picture.

I think it's a shame that Moon was completely overlooked, I thought it was worthy of a nomination.

I loved Moon. And Harry Brown too. They both should have many, many nominations and yet, where are they? Nowhere to be seen! Absolutely scandalous!

I've not yet met anyone who thought it was a great film - I've heard only of their vast disappointment after sitting through it. I felt like I'd wasted about 8 hours of my life when it's actually just shy of 2 hours long - it just dragged that much.

You mustn't read the movie thread, but I know quite a few of us have commented there that we loved it (including me!) In fact, I would have to say the opposite - I haven't known of anyone who has disliked it, until now. :lol:

I thought it was wonderful and unique. I'm sorry you disliked it so much. :lol:

Oooooh it's that time of year again :lol:

I'm hoping Wes Anderson wins Best Animated Feature and Musical Score for The Fantastic Mr Fox. It was a great movie with a brilliant soundtrack and he's one of my favourite directors so I'd like to see him win that catagory.

With regards to District 9, my BF loved it but I'm still torn. I don't think I'll ever make my mind up really as it's such a bizarre movie.

Edited by Nicola

You mustn't read the movie thread, but I know quite a few of us have commented there that we loved it (including me!) In fact, I would have to say the opposite - I haven't known of anyone who has disliked it, until now. :lol:

I thought it was wonderful and unique. I'm sorry you disliked it so much. :lol:

Oh, I've seen on forums and read positive reviews - I've just not actually met anyone who thought it was all that great. Everyone I know personally who saw the film didn't think all that much of it. The most positive response I got when I asked was "I've seen worse." THe worst response I got is unprintable on a polite forum! :lol:

It didn't get a general release here and wasn't showing at any of my local cinemas so I'm sad to report that I've not seen it yet! Is it brilliant?!

I loved 'A Serious Man,' Mexicola! Another excellent work from the Coen's, plus I actually recognized some places in the filmed since it was made here last spring :lol:. I hope you get to see it soon.

I agree about Moon. Sam Rockwell was so great in it and it's too bad that some films just get passed over like that.

I would have to agree with you on District 9, Kylie, I loved it. I thought Sharlto Copley did a fantastic job and for the smallish budget (compared to other big sci-fi blockbusters) the efx were great.

I loved 'A Serious Man,' Mexicola! Another excellent work from the Coen's, plus I actually recognized some places in the filmed since it was made here last spring :lol:. I hope you get to see it soon.

I agree about Moon. Sam Rockwell was so great in it and it's too bad that some films just get passed over like that.

I would have to agree with you on District 9, Kylie, I loved it. I thought Sharlto Copley did a fantastic job and for the smallish budget (compared to other big sci-fi blockbusters) the efx were great.

Thanks, peacefield. I think it's out on DVD in a month, I'm gonna pre-order it now! That's really cool that you recognise places from the film; I always find their landscapes and scenery really fascinating.

I loved District 9 too and thought Sharlto Copley was brilliant in the role.

Thanks, peacefield. I think it's out on DVD in a month, I'm gonna pre-order it now! That's really cool that you recognise places from the film; I always find their landscapes and scenery really fascinating.

Even though I didn't love No Country for Old Men, Mexicola, that's something I definitely appreciated about the film - the landscape and scenery. It was a quiet movie, if you know what I mean.

I recognized a lot of place in Fargo too, except truly we don't have that strong of accents here! :lol:

Even though I didn't love No Country for Old Men, Mexicola, that's something I definitely appreciated about the film - the landscape and scenery. It was a quiet movie, if you know what I mean.

I recognized a lot of place in Fargo too, except truly we don't have that strong of accents here! :readingtwo:

I saw No Country for the first time the other night. It was better than I thought it was going to be based on what I had heard. Loved Fargo as well, awesome movie.