Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

AbielleRose

This is my first book, which I decided to read on English. I've been learning English for 3 years, and now for me very difficult to read books on English, because there are a lot of unknown words.

But the book Going with the Wind is written so masterfully, that I understand it completely! I could not only read without dictionary, but also have a real pleasure of reading this book!

The only one thing, that I really think about - what will I do, when I read this book completely?

Maybe, someone could advice me something similar with the book Going with the wind?

I very like this genre and will be thankful if someone could recommend me something for continue reading on English.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Marina

I'm glad you are enjoying Gone With the Wind . I'd recommend you try East of Eden next by John Steinbeck. It's another really thick book with an interesting cast of characters , and a great story line . I think it might be a bit easier even than Gone with the Wind, as it uses some of the "slang" from the South in it in spots .

Anyhow East of Eden in some ways reminds me of GWTW -- the family and all it's strengths and weaknesses .

/groan/  Something about Steinbeck just sets my teeth on edge.  I've tried numerous time to read his books.  I have read East of Eden, only because I was leading a discussion of it on another forum, some years ago.  It almost killed me.  Not the story.......I liked the story itself.  But something about Steinbeck's writing, I just cannot stand.  I know how popular he is, and how actually revered he is......not by me though.

Love, love, love Gone With the Wind though! :D

/groan/  Something about Steinbeck just sets my teeth on edge.  I've tried numerous time to read his books.  I have read East of Eden, only because I was leading a discussion of it on another forum, some years ago.  It almost killed me.  Not the story.......I liked the story itself.  But something about Steinbeck's writing, I just cannot stand.  I know how popular he is, and how actually revered he is......not by me though.

Love, love, love Gone With the Wind though! :D

Steinbeck is my favorite author.....pontalba can't stand his writing

Vladimir Nabokov is pontalba's favorite author.......and I can't stand his writing

Cajun food - we both love Cajun food. :D

Steinbeck is my favorite author.....pontalba can't stand his writing

Vladimir Nabokov is pontalba's favorite author.......and I can't stand his writing

Cajun food - we both love Cajun food. :D

Ahhh, the Universe is in Balance.....at last!  :P

• 5 months later...

Just popped in to ask if any of you "Gone" fans will be getting a copy of the new printing of the novel? 

It's always offended me that most of the bookcovers show scenes of steamy passion between man and woman - inferring that the book is a sleazy story dripping with loads of  sex.

As we who have read and loved it know that's far from the truth The "passion" of the novel comes from the strength of feeling between Scarlet and Rhett (who never share more than a kiss, or vague references to bedroom-stuff after marriage ) the strength of feeling between North and South, the struggles to survive of the previously-rich characters, and the slavery issues, present in a big way throughout the story. In fact the majority of the "passion" comes from the absorbed reader! :D  

The new version, showing Viven Leigh in her Scarlett role (acceptably clad!) is now on my to-buy list.  

(must get to "Scarlett" and "Rhett Butlers People", too)

Are you talking about this one?

post-3835-0-94179800-1392962168_thumb.jpg

Although I generally hate movie tie-in covers, this one isn't too bad (I love Vivien Leigh!)

Personally, I want to get a hardback of GwtW. I usually avoid hardbacks, but for a book of this size, and because it is such a wonderful story, a hardback would be a special edition that would last a long time.

I like this one, which I saw only recently in a shop (although the one I saw has '75th anniversary edition' written at the top):

post-3835-0-39495800-1392962329_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif9781447264538.jpg

Although I generally hate movie tie-in covers, this one isn't too bad (I love Vivien Leigh!)

Personally, I want to get a hardback of GwtW. I usually avoid hardbacks, but for a book of this size, and because it is such a wonderful story, a hardback would be a special edition that would last a long time.

I like this one, which I saw only recently in a shop (although the one I saw has '75th anniversary edition' written at the top):

attachicon.gif9780684830681.jpg

Oh, I like that new one!  It captures "the look". :D

I have the second one, although it doesn't have 75th anniversary edition on it.  It's a replication of the original cover, I believe.  My old one doesn't have the dust jacket any more, phooey.

I have this trade sized paperback cover also.

5lnl29.png

Just popped in to ask if any of you "Gone" fans will be getting a copy of the new printing of the novel? 

It's always offended me that most of the bookcovers show scenes of steamy passion between man and woman - inferring that the book is a sleazy story dripping with loads of  sex.

As we who have read and loved it know that's far from the truth The "passion" of the novel comes from the strength of feeling between Scarlet and Rhett (who never share more than a kiss, or vague references to bedroom-stuff after marriage ) the strength of feeling between North and South, the struggles to survive of the previously-rich characters, and the slavery issues, present in a big way throughout the story. In fact the majority of the "passion" comes from the absorbed reader! :D  

The new version, showing Viven Leigh in her Scarlett role (acceptably clad!) is now on my to-buy list.  

(must get to "Scarlett" and "Rhett Butlers People", too)

I liked Rhett Butlers People, but truly disliked Scarlett.  As far as I was concerned, Scarlett didn't capture any of the original flare of GWTW, and it dragged interminably. 

I've never seen the movie, but I've seen a few pics of it, and some of the book covers... But I have to say I would never have realized that the woman in the cover (in Kylie's post) was Vivien Leigh. And quite honestly, I thought it looked very modern, and almost a bit like a contemporary chick lit kinda book. :blush: If I saw a cover like that in a bookshop, I wouldn't look at it twice.

qcmdLCLl.jpg

I like the other copy in Kylie's post, though, and the one pontalba has :) ^ That's my copy. It's a paperback, and it's one of those that allows a bit of bending without doing any damage to the book, the spine or anything. I love it.

I should really re-read the book sometime, because I've got Scarlett and the Rhett Butler book on my TBR... Such a fantastic book! I never expected it to be so great... :wub:

That's another great cover, Athena! :) I can only echo what Kylie said: it's a great book, and if you like it as much as we did, it won't feel such a long read, because you'll be flying through the pages :)

x

I agree, I quite like the cover :). Thanks, it sounds very good!

That's great to hear, Kylie! Thanks for telling me that, I might move it up the pile, so to speak :).

That's another great cover, Athena! :) I can only echo what Kylie said: it's a great book, and if you like it as much as we did, it won't feel such a long read, because you'll be flying through the pages :)

What she said ^^^^^. :)

It is a quick read, and what's more it really brings out the issues of that time and place.  All sides of the issues.  I don't consider this much of a spoiler, but will use the tags, just in case. 

There is a great scene in which Rhett talks about how the South is not prepared in any way for a War, and will probably lose. Makes him very unpopular, to say the least.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it isn't only Scarlett's story, it is the story of a nation's turmoil's presented through many eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gif9781447264538.jpg

attachicon.gif9780684830681.jpg

That's the one Kylie - now proudly displayed in my bookcase :smile: 

Of course enjoying any novel itself is the main thing, but it makes a difference having a copy you are comfortable with.  Taking the range of covers shown here - it seems a lot of you agree  

I WILLLLLL finish this book this week! I actually got distracted and found myself reading Scarlett. I cant say as I didn't like the book. I found it enjoyable although it does tend to veer away from the true voice of Scarlett and Rhett.

I finished Scarlett, by the hardest. :)  Didn't like it though.  The film was worse, if that's possible.  In spite of Timothy Dalton's presence. :D

Edited by pontalba

Scarlett O'Hara must be one of the most unlikeable characters I have ever had the misfortune to read. 

:D  She does engender strong opinions, which is a good thing as she is very opinionated herself.