Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

AbielleRose

Hollywood certainly tested enough actresses for the role! And you are absolutely right, Leigh was the only real Scarlett.

Have you ever seen any of the screen tests? I have. :rolleyes:

Can't believe they considered Joan Crawford and Bette Davis for the part ....their googly eyes always makes me think they had a thyroid problem. Katherine Hepburn would have been a strong enough character, although she doesn't quite fit and Susan Heyward possibly, but she probably wasn't feisty enough. Vivien Leigh was so right and I didn't ever realise she was English.

Has anyone read the sequel 'Scarlett'? I wasn't at all impressed. I always thought Margaret Mitchell only wrote the one book but according to Wikipedia a manuscript of hers was found in the 1990's and was published in 1996 called 'Lost Laysen'.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hollywood certainly tested enough actresses for the role! And you are absolutely right, Leigh was the only real Scarlett.

Have you ever seen any of the screen tests? I have. :rolleyes:

In case anyone else fancied seeing them - here are some of the screentests they did for the role of Scarlet. Leigh was far and away the best choice - she was pitch-perfect and had marvellous chemistry with both her love interests. :) See

Can't believe they considered Joan Crawford and Bette Davis for the part ....their googly eyes always makes me think they had a thyroid problem. Katherine Hepburn would have been a strong enough character, although she doesn't quite fit and Susan Heyward possibly, but she probably wasn't feisty enough. Vivien Leigh was so right and I didn't ever realise she was English.

Has anyone read the sequel 'Scarlett'? I wasn't at all impressed. I always thought Margaret Mitchell only wrote the one book but according to Wikipedia a manuscript of hers was found in the 1990's and was published in 1996 called 'Lost Laysen'.

I've read Scarlett, and 'frankly my dear'............... LOL it was pretty bad. Well, that isn't entirely fair, it had some good moments, but it was way over-dramatized, and I have my doubts about how true to the original characters it was. I was disappointed, that's all I can really say. But I don't generally care for romance novels, and this was an out and out Romance Novel.

I'd not heard about Lost Laysen, not any details anyhow, I do vaguely recall something about something found. I didn't hear anymore at the time though. That was still in my pre-computer days. :D

Vivian Leigh WAS Scarlett. Hepburn was way too brittle for the role, and as much as I liked Bette Davis, she was not near to right for the role.

I liked Susan Heyward as well, but I don't think she had the right ability to project the flirtatiousness, or soft femininity that Leigh was capable of.

Regarding the accent...I've read that her English accent was the closest to a Southern accent and that's why she could so easily slip into a realistic Georgia accent.

Incidentally, I've always considered Ashley a total wimp and I'm wondering if reading the book will change that - LOL! Melanie, although always coming off as wimpy, was more a gentle soul who desperately wanted to see only the best in everyone and really did believe (rather naively) that people were inherently good and have the best intentions, even if it doesn't always seem so, so I always had a little more respect for her than for Ashley. So far the book is bearing out those thoughts - and I'm loving it! :)

In case anyone else fancied seeing them - here are some of the screentests they did for the role of Scarlet. Leigh was far and away the best choice - she was pitch-perfect and had marvellous chemistry with both her love interests. :) See

Cool! Thanks Kell. smile.gif

Incidentally, I've always considered Ashley a total wimp and I'm wondering if reading the book will change that - LOL! Melanie, although always coming off as wimpy, was more a gentle soul who desperately wanted to see only the best in everyone and really did believe (rather naively) that people were inherently good and have the best intentions, even if it doesn't always seem so, so I always had a little more respect for her than for Ashley. So far the book is bearing out those thoughts - and I'm loving it! :)

I don't know if I'd call Ashley a wimp, he's a product of his times, sort of inbred actually. Ashley was not someone that could deal with reality too well, but he did have some strength.

In some ways Melanie is one of the strongest women in the book. Strong in a different way to Scarlett, that's true, but Melanie always had an iron will.

KELL, thanks for that great link to the screen tests! Wonderful!

Kell, thanks for the link! =)

In some ways Melanie is one of the strongest women in the book. Strong in a different way to Scarlett, that's true, but Melanie always had an iron will.

I agree - I've just got to the part where she's declaring that she will NOT uninvite Cptn Butler from being a guest in her home, and never will, because he thinks exactly the same about the war as her husband does - he just doesn't word it as politely! Completely going against her "olders and betters" to stand up for what she thinks is right at that young age, and in that society, would take tremendous backbone - andit's actually more than Scarlett did! Scarlett is very hypocritical - always hiding how she really feels in order to keep "in" with people, with only occasional outbreaks of show (such as dancing at the ball when she's supposed to be in mourning), and even that she blamed on Rhett and excused with "it's in aid of our fighting boys!" - LOL!

I agree - I've just got to the part where she's declaring that she will NOT uninvite Cptn Butler from being a guest in her home, and never will, because he thinks exactly the same about the war as her husband does - he just doesn't word it as politely! Completely going against her "olders and betters" to stand up for what she thinks is right at that young age, and in that society, would take tremendous backbone - andit's actually more than Scarlett did! Scarlett is very hypocritical - always hiding how she really feels in order to keep "in" with people, with only occasional outbreaks of show (such as dancing at the ball when she's supposed to be in mourning), and even that she blamed on Rhett and excused with "it's in aid of our fighting boys!" - LOL!

I love that scene, the ball room....in the movie it's played just as in the book.

Re Melanie, I can't wait till you reach a certain scene...you'll know it when you get there. :D

I love that scene, the ball room....in the movie it's played just as in the book.

Re Melanie, I can't wait till you reach a certain scene...you'll know it when you get there. :D

lol Pontalba, I bet we're thinking of the same one. Mitchell developed Melanie's character so well. She seems so weak and wishy washy at the start, but goes on to be an amazingly strong, courageous person in her quiet, gentle way. I love how she stands up to all the gossips too and defends the 'ladies of the night' and always loves Scarlett unconditionally. She's one of my favourite fictional heroines.

I love the bit where she's relating to Scarlet about the money from Belle and how she can't tell Aunt Pittypat or anyone else who it came from but that Belle has as much right as anyone else to contribute to the cause if she wants to. It was so funny how she was so shocked herself, but strong enough - and kind enough - to put prejudice aside for a good cause. I think it's an indication of things to come and I'm loving her character. I love Scarlett's outrageousness, but Melly's quiet courage is inspiring. :)

I loved Gone with the Wind, but found the sequel Scarlett a terrible let down. It didn't follow the characters at all, and I couldn't get past her just leaving Tara after all she had gone through to keep it. It was mildly entertaining on its own, but seemingly unrelated to the original except in names.

lol Pontalba, I bet we're thinking of the same one. Mitchell developed Melanie's character so well. She seems so weak and wishy washy at the start, but goes on to be an amazingly strong, courageous person in her quiet, gentle way. I love how she stands up to all the gossips too and defends the 'ladies of the night' and always loves Scarlett unconditionally. She's one of my favourite fictional heroines.

Come to think of it, Melly is certainly one of my very favorite heroines too. She is a lady in the true sense of the word, courageous, kind to all regardless, and defends her family with her life if necessary.

I love the bit where she's relating to Scarlet about the money from Belle and how she can't tell Aunt Pittypat or anyone else who it came from but that Belle has as much right as anyone else to contribute to the cause if she wants to. It was so funny how she was so shocked herself, but strong enough - and kind enough - to put prejudice aside for a good cause. I think it's an indication of things to come and I'm loving her character. I love Scarlett's outrageousness, but Melly's quiet courage is inspiring. :)

Exactly.

I loved Gone with the Wind, but found the sequel Scarlett a terrible let down. It didn't follow the characters at all, and I couldn't get past her just leaving Tara after all she had gone through to keep it. It was mildly entertaining on its own, but seemingly unrelated to the original except in names.

Oh, man, you are not kidding! The whole section that took place in Ireland was just too melodramatic.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished GWTW about a week ago and it is now firmly on my list of all-time favourites and I shall be looking to get a really beautiful copy to read next time as I got a somewhat dog-eared 2nd-hand paperback copy. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!

I finished GWTW about a week ago and it is now firmly on my list of all-time favourites and I shall be looking to get a really beautiful copy to read next time as I got a somewhat dog-eared 2nd-hand paperback copy. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!

I am just tickled to hear that Kell. :D GWTW is definitely one of my all-time favorites.

I have a pretty ordinary second-hand copy of the book and I'm hoping that one day a beautiful hard cover edition will be released. The story is well worth the expense! I haven't been particularly impressed with any of the paperback covers I've seen; they make the book like too much like romance/chick-lit, and I think there's so much more to the story than that. I'm glad you loved it as much as I did Kell. :)

The cover on mine if a shot from the movie - Rhett holding Scarlett in his arms (in the traditional "dip" pose) with a flame-coloured background. Like THIS one. :)

Actually, I've been hankering after watching the movie again, so I'll have to get hold of a copy of that too!

If you are looking for a real collector's edition to treasure all your days, Easton Press publish a two volume, leather bound Gone With The Wind that I covet (do you think I could persuade all the members of my family to club together for a single Christmas present? :) ):

The great American novel in its finest edition ever.

Margaret Mitchell's legendary saga of the Civil War, from the carefree plantation life to the burning of Atlanta. The fiery Scarlett O'Hara and the dashing Rhett Butler are matched in one of literature's most memorable romances. A deluxe Collector Edition illustrated with over 100 paintings and drawings.

7 1/2" x 10 1/2"

Item Number: 0062

2-volume set in one shipment. 2 monthly payments of just $67.75.

0062_m.jpg

Edited by Ooshie

Wow, that's so beautiful Ooshie! But incredibly expensive. I know I said it would be the expense, but I didn't quite mean that expensive. blush.gif Maybe we could get a bulk discount if several of us want copies? giggle.gif

OMGs! I want it so badly it hurts! No way I could justify paying that amount though, so it will never be mine. I could just cry. In fact, I think I will!

*WAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAaaAAAAAAhhhhhHHHHHHhhhhhHHHHhhhhh!*

Ooshie, that's a beautiful edition!! I hadn't seen it before. Phooey, can't buy it, but it's nice to know it exists.

HERE is a copy of the hardback I own. It's a reproduction (I believe) of the original first edition. I couldn't find it on the UK Amazon, so posted the US link.

I also have an old hardback that my mother bought back in the 60's, and a mass market paperback, plus a trade paperback edition. :giggle: