Weave

Title of book: The Ask and the Answer

Name of author: Patrick Ness

ISBN-10: 1406322474

ISBN-13: 978-1406322477

Number of pages: 536

Bookcover-7.jpg

Synopsis ~

Fleeing before a relentless army, Todd has carried a desperately wounded Viola right into the hands of their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss. Immediately separated from Viola and imprisoned, Todd is forced to learn the ways of the Mayor's new order. But what secrets are hiding just outside of town? And where is Viola? Is she even still alive? And who are the mysterious Answer? And then, one day, the bombs begin to explode... The Ask and the Answer is a tense, shocking and deeply moving novel of resistance under the most extreme pressure.

‘The Ask and the Answer is the second book in the Chaos Walking series.

‘The Ask and the Answer’ begins where ‘The Knife of Letting Go’ ended with Todd and Viola facing the Mayor of Prentisstown, he has now taken over Haven and renamed it as ‘New Prentisstown’ and has renamed himself as ‘the President’.

Todd and Viola are separated and from there the book is told from both of their perspectives. Todd and Viola find themselves in very different situations but the reality is still the same, they must survive what the Mayor/President is going to do next.

‘The Ask and the Answer’ explores different topics, war, genocide, love, survival and they are shown in a brutally honest manner, there are some genuinely heart wrenching moments which makes the story a powerful read. The book is exciting and just as good (if not better) that ‘The Knife of Letting Go’.

As with its predecessor, the book finishes on a cliff hanger. The third and final part of the series is due for release in May this year.

An excellent read.

Rating: 10/10

• 1 month later...
I fiished reading it and i have to say it was a really good book,it left a huge cliffhanger at the end.I still say the book was long winded like the last one,but i always say that:)

What a cliffhanger it was! I can't wait for the next book :D

• 3 weeks later...
I was having a look on Amazon the other day and I think it said it was due out in May 2010. I can't wait either!

Me too Mia, 'Monsters of Men' the third and final book is due for released on ~ Monday 3rd May 2010

• 11 months later...

I've just finished this book. Why didn't I read like books like this when I was a teenager? Were they there and I missed them, or is this just a golden age for the YA genre?

This books truly examines the the concepts, theories, practical and emotional aspects of war, but in a safe "fantasy" world. It was a gut wrenching read, contemplating the two youngsters going through such atrocities and the decisions they have to make. I don't know whether it's just my age and experience of life, but all I could think about while I was reading it were the images we see in the media of boys in conflict situations forced to take arms and fight as soldiers alongside adults.

Todd and Viola's innocence allows them time and time again to be manipulated, but with each incident they grow as individuals, learning more and more about themselves and despite all the obstacles, about each other too.

I'm deliberately not buying the last book just yet, as I know I would rush it, and I want to look forward to it for a while!