Sad news for Spencer Fans

Vladd

I was shocked to read about Parker's death -- and immediately sent the online story to my mom, one brother and one sister, who are also fans.

Something funny, later that week: I was finishing up the second "Death on Demand" book (Annie Laurence Darling -- though she's still Annie Laurence -- who owns Death on Demand in Broward's Rock in one of the Carolinas, by Carolyn Hart). Each book has this thing about 5 pictures featuring a famous mystery. And at the very end of this book, someone points out that one of the pictures is reflective of the very first "Spenser" book. And the character -- a minor one -- says something like, "He's one of my favorites. DO you ever think we'll find out his first name?"

It was Twilight Zone time!

Sad news indeed - Parker was one of the big hitters in eighties detective novels. I think it is fitting that he takes a little mystery with him. The revelation of Morse's name was a bit of a disappointment, so no single name could have pleased everyone had Parker decided to furnish the character with one. The books are all the better for the secret.