Why fantasy?

Capture

I'm personally not a fan of pidgeonholing literature into neat little boxes. There are substantial areas of overlap among Fantasy, Science Fiction and Horror - and why shouldn't there be? It's all Speculative Fiction, after all.

I've heard it said that Science Fiction is more sensible than Fantasy, for instance, because it has a link to reality - science - that Fantasy lacks; which is clearly nonsense. What makes Science Fiction interesting is the opportunity to explore human nature and behaviour in an unfamiliar setting; how is Fantasy any different?

All good Speculative Fiction (for there is a lot of faff out there, as there is within any genre) does a lot for the human spirit: it feeds the imagination. Is there a greater gift? I don't think so.

I've heard it said that Science Fiction is more sensible than Fantasy, for instance, because it has a link to reality - science - that Fantasy lacks; which is clearly nonsense. What makes Science Fiction interesting is the opportunity to explore human nature and behaviour in an unfamiliar setting; how is Fantasy any different?

Not to mention a significant portion of Sci-Fi is just that, Fictional Science with grounding little more realistic than the magic in Harry Potter (though arguably more logical if not flawed, which is why I like it.)

I'm definitely one to look for realism in books, even Fantasy ones, which knocks off a huge portion of the individual genre, but the ones that span several genres like BookJumper said are some of my favourite books ever. The Coldfire Trilogy is at it's core Fantasy, but it's dark, psychological and Gothic, graphic enough in places to make me cringe, (horror) and it's set on another planet with a history of evolution, (Sci-Fi) Religion etc - all things not very common in Fantasy, setting it apart and giving it a rich depth across several genres.

Another example is The End Of Mr. Y - a largely Science Fiction book by any standard, except there's no scientific basis for the key events - there is a large degree of the disbelief-suspension required in many Fantasy books required also for this book, as it makes such use of actual theoretical Physics that I know hardly anyone else who got through it without being a tad confused.

So pure Fantasy rarely does anything for me, Fantasy without structure or boundaries or grounding in reality. Therefore it can't be escapism I like best, but at that I like my Sci-Fi to take advantage of the complete boundlessness of imagination, so I clearly don't look for realism either.

I think a book that falls strictly into one genre is a bit like a person with only one real characteristic, to me. And it'd have to be on hell of a characteristic to impress me in the absence of all others. There is nothing in Fantasy alone that does anything at all for my spirit.

Edited by Nollaig

I've been here for thirty five years now, and in that time I've had my share of life-fulfilling experiences, but the bottom line is that reality is very limited, hindered by gravity, the cycle of the ocean, the routine of work, the significance of dates, etc.

The fantasy/sci-fi/horror cannon is not bound to these laws and rules and proceedures that we adhere to, and that's what so fascinating about the genre.

Now, although I've read some autobiographies (Sir David Attenborough, John Peel) and almost all of Elmore Leonard's catalogue, I generally find books that lie outwith the F/SF/H genres to be trapped by logic and sensibility, which invariably make them predictable no matter how many twists and turns the plot throws up.

Regardless of whether you know who the murderer is in a crime novel, it will be a human, and it will take place in familiar settings. These limitations make a story feel as though it is on rails, for me, and unable to throw up real surprises and shocking revelations because of it.

It may be my own issue, but I simply cannot understand people who avoid the F/SF/H genres because they are 'unrealistic.' To me, that is showing a real fear of imagination, and an unwillingness to explore. I bet the subconscious terrifies these people!

Anyway, that's my rant over. The bottom line for me is that escapism should be just that. I can't think of anything more dull than reading 'by the numbers' books.

Edited by Pablo

Because I write fantasy fiction. I love what-ifs too so it makes for a good escape from real life. Plus I don't often need to understand the setting for it from general knowledge. Like when I was reading Les Miserables for the first time, I needed to understand a bit of Napoleonic history. The same with The Count of Monte Cristo. But with fantasy the setting and backstory are delivered part and parcel sans footnotes that I loathe.

I've never quite figured myself to be a lover of the fantasy genre - until I took a good look at my bookshelf and realized that at least half of my book collection contain at least some aspects of the genre or overlaps with it in some way. :D I guess I enjoy fantasy as long as it isn't too fantastical - although that statement requires an entirely separate explanation itself. I need to read something that has some basis in our real everyday lives.

The fantasy/sci-fi/horror cannon is not bound to these laws and rules and proceedures that we adhere to, and that's what so fascinating about the genre.

. . .

Regardless of whether you know who the murderer is in a crime novel, it will be a human, and it will take place in familiar settings. These limitations make a story feel as though it is on rails, for me, and unable to throw up real surprises and shocking revelations because of it.

Good point.

Edited by Capture

Well the way I see it is such genres can do absolutely anything within the realm of the realistic - I don't feel limited in life, and if the day ever comes that I become so jaded as to not be stirred by the psychology, emotion and passion of mere humans then I'll wind up very sad indeed. As long as life continues to excite me, so too will the multitude of possibilities within it being played out on paper.

That said, I'm only playing devil's advocate when I suggest the subconscious of those dying to escape reality must be rather interesting too.

I love fantasy.. always have and always will. However, if you ask me why.. that's hard to say. I just do.

Part of it is, that I hate the world we live in. It's got its perks, don't get me wrong. But it's a cold, unimaginative, ugly place to live in most of the time. All beauty comes from nature. And humankind.. well I don't like them. Humans, in my opinions, are little more than apes, monkeys even, animals who think themselves better, more developed and more evolved. Ridiculous. Which possibly is why I love apocalyptic stuff so much, part of me feels we deserve to be exterminated. :)

So, anything that gives me more than there is in daily life, is good reading for me. Most of the books I read are something that is fantasy, sci-fi, horror, just.. something more. Which is what I always have the feeling I am looking for. More. Unfortunately. :D It's not that I hate life, or hate my life.. just am never satisfied with it.

So yeah, fantasy for me, is more colorful, exciting and romantic than normal. I'm always disappointed in people...

Also, I have always been fascinated with myths, legends and supernatural stuff (even if I don't really believe in the last, then again, I don't believe in the other stuff either).

I love science too, that's why I love sci-fi. I'd give a lot to be able to time travel and see mankind and other planets in the future.. But when sci-fi literature has got too much technology stuff in it, it's not for me.. it's not what's important to me.

Perfect for me, is a mix between sci-fi and fantasy.. like the Dragonriders of Pern series, Anne McCaffrey, or alternate reality stuff. Like Kushiel's Dart (Jacqueline Carey).

Pff. I could write a bookwork about this. Apart from that I can't write that well. :) Just let me say I adore fantasy.:lol::lol:

All beauty comes from nature. And humankind.. well I don't like them. Humans, in my opinions, are little more than apes, monkeys even, animals who think themselves better, more developed and more evolved. Ridiculous. Which possibly is why I love apocalyptic stuff so much, part of me feels we deserve to be exterminated. :D

100% agreed. Although I would add that there is beauty in art and in intelligence, which is probably why I like books. Good books, I mean. E.g. a favourite: The Picture Of Dorian Gray. Oscar Wilde had the right views on art and created his story in their likeness. Which is why I adore it/him.

Also, I have always been fascinated with myths, legends and supernatural stuff (even if I don't really believe in the last, then again, I don't believe in the other stuff either).

I love that stuff too, I particularly love dark fairytales (The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly, Valiant by Holly Black) thematically, but also because of the exploration of traditional fairytales, myths, legends etc. I like the sense of boundaries in those also though, for example if you use a Pooka in your book, it has to be a shape-shifting mischievious spirit that takes animal form. But you can play with that a bit - I still like the limits set down by tradition.

I love science too, that's why I love sci-fi. I'd give a lot to be able to time travel and see mankind and other planets in the future.. But when sci-fi literature has got too much technology stuff in it, it's not for me.. it's not what's important to me.

Again, 100% agreed. I adore physics and time travel - have you read The End Of Mr. Y? That's essentially what it's all about.

^wow, you just agreed on a whole lot of what I said. :lol::lol:

And true, there's beauty in art too, or at least some forms of art. Others are ugly. But some things in nature can be ugly too, so I guess it's only fair.

But art maybe is one of the few things that make mankind worthwile.

And haven't read The End Of Mr. Y, though I saw it around here on the forum somewhere, and thought it might be worth a read.. one of many books I must add you guys have pointed me to. Love this forum. :D

But art maybe is one of the few things that make mankind worthwile.

That, and beer.

I don't read a lot of fantasy, but what I do - like any book from any genre really - is for a bit of escapism, to put the mundane and the ordinary behind me and lose myself in another world (whether that is Mordor, Rama or the streets of Tokyo, doesn

Couple of points:

"Well the way I see it is such genres can do absolutely anything within the realm of the realistic - I don't feel limited in life, and if the day ever comes that I become so jaded as to not be stirred by the psychology, emotion and passion of mere humans then I'll wind up very sad indeed."

Firstly, it's the psychology, emotion and passion of mere humans (authors) were talking about, so it's safe to say that we're all interested to some extent, aye?

On the subject of humans though, I'm with Univerze. I look around me every day, imagining the forests that were there before we came along.

Stop laughing! I'm not a tree-hugger.

The trees hug me.

You're right about those dreams though! Phew!:D

I think there's a lot of beauty in the human race, though a lot of it lies hidden, afraid of stigma and ridicule. Beautiful, for instance, is the human imagination - the very definition of which is the ability to envision worlds of possibility. Not to explore those worlds would constitute the rejection of something that makes life worth living, and the human race worth saving.

ETA: <--- proud treehugger.

Couple of points:

"Well the way I see it is such genres can do absolutely anything within the realm of the realistic - I don't feel limited in life, and if the day ever comes that I become so jaded as to not be stirred by the psychology, emotion and passion of mere humans then I'll wind up very sad indeed."

Firstly, it's the psychology, emotion and passion of mere humans (authors) were talking about, so it's safe to say that we're all interested to some extent, aye?

I don't follow. I mean things like what drives people to murder. Like in crime novels. Nothing Fantasy-esque about that, it's completely limited to the human realm, but it's just as fascinating and frightening as anything that could be conjured by the human imagination.

I find fantasy and sci-fi can allow a writer to be abstract about ideas/concepts. It allows me to understand some aspects of politics, psychology/social constructs and even questions the world we live in. Yes it can sometimes be escapism but most often it is not. It can be a vehicle to take a look at some disturbing aspects of humanity. I've noticed that a lot of writers that write fantasy and or sci-fi have studied subjects like sociology, physchology, latin, philosopy, linguistics, literature, history, anthropology and some of the sci-fi ones may have studied a science subject or two. In writing fiction they get to play around using what they have learnt.

Edited by Kreader

That reminds me. Fantasy is an excuse to read/study stuff you might think pointless/immensely pressing during the normal course of human lie. Wartactics, statecraft, weaving, sewage, townplanning, herbal medicine, religion, ancient history, exhuming corpses 101, torture methods, exotic diseases etc.

When writing fantasy, it's only natural to read up about stuff like that. When reading, well it offers all of that and more through a filter so to speak.