BBC America's "Demons" TV Series

Capture

I'm a fan of BBC America's Scifi/Fantasy tv shows. The most recent show which premiered on channel is "Demons". The story is about a teenage descendant of Van Helsing, the vampire hunter, who's been called to fight against half-lives, while coming to terms with his father's legacy as a demon hunter. He is mentored by an old friend/partner of his father's who fought with him, who also has a mysterious past as well.

Has anyone seen or watched the series? And what do think of the way it addresses the Van Helsing myth?

Are there other books, films, or tv shows which you think address the Van Helsing myth well?

Thx

Has anyone seen or watched the series? And what do think of the way it addresses the Van Helsing myth?

Personally, I thought it was pretty dreadful!

Are there other books, films, or tv shows which you think address the Van Helsing myth well?

Story, not myth.

There is, of course, the Hugh Jackman film Van Helsing, but that is pretty dreadful as well - and the somewhat better Bram Stoker's Dracula, where VH is played by none other than Anthony Hopkins.

Is it the one with Philip Glenister in it?

Yep. Whatever possessed him to do an American accent should have been exorcised.

I watched it too purely for Philip Glenister! but it got canned by the critics and was dropped after the first season, I believe.

Panned, it got canned by ITV!

Well, I watched the whole series so I must have enjoyed it, although I am not desperately disappointed that there won't be a second series. The American accent wasn't particularly good and was a little unneccesary. I don't think that it really delved in to the Van Helsing myth. It was more about the main boy (I forget his name!) coming to terms with his new life.

I think the thing for me is that a lot of other shows have walked similar ground and done it a lot better (Buffy, Angel, Ultraviolet, Being Human etc).

They didn't really seem to know what they wanted to do with this series, and as a result it just lurched from episode to episode; it just didn't seem very coherent.

ITV got it right with Primeval, but they got it wrong with this.

It seemed to me that someone decided to make a British Buffy and to hide their lack of originality just reversed characters

Buffy became male

Xander became female

Giles became an American in Britain

It even had a friendly vampire although it was female.

• 2 weeks later...