Michelle - 2010

Michelle

I've just devoured Maggie O'Farrell's latest, The Hand That First Held Mine - it's a rare book which brings tears to my eyes, but this one did it. Proper review to come soon, but if you've enjoyed her previous books, get this one! :smile2:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also just read Derren Brown's Tricks of the Mind. I hoped to get some more reveals as to how her does some of his shows, but I did enjoy it as a book - but then again I agree with most of what he says. :smile2:

I thought this was a terrific read Michelle (I am a bit biased because I'm a big fan of DB). The most interesting parts to me were when he was debunking psychics and mediums. I don't believe in them at all, and it was interesting to learn about some of the tricks they use.

I've just devoured Maggie O'Farrell's latest, The Hand That First Held Mine - it's a rare book which brings tears to my eyes, but this one did it. Proper review to come soon, but if you've enjoyed her previous books, get this one! ;)

Super author. I look forward to reading this one at some point:)

I've just devoured Maggie O'Farrell's latest, The Hand That First Held Mine - it's a rare book which brings tears to my eyes, but this one did it. Proper review to come soon, but if you've enjoyed her previous books, get this one! :D

Good...this one is on my wishlist Michell.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe that, according to my my LibraryThing records, I've only read or listened to 17 books so far this year!

Even despite that, I'm still not very good at keeping this thread updated. So, last 3 books reviewed:

The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell

WyrmeWeald by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell

White Time by Margo Lanagan

I've also given up on a few, so I thought I'd quickly round those up here:

House of Leaves - I do intend to try to get back to this. The story of the house itself was good, but the rest is rather rambling.

Flyte (audio) - unfortunately I really struggled with the narrator for this one. I have the books, so will possibly read it one day, and the rest of the series.

Good Omens (audio) - I'm sorry, I know this is a much loved book by many, but it wasn't working for me. It may be that audio made a difference, I may try the book one day if I get yelled at enough.. but I'm not entirely sure I get on with the humour.

Wicked - I didn't particularly like the first part, but I stuck with it. The section at the college was better, but I decided to give up when they went to the strange sex show.. it was just all too bizarre for me.

Moving ahead, on my ipod is the first Percy Jackson book, which I'm rather enjoying. There are a few annoyances, but on the whole it's good, and I'm hoping Beth might like it.

Book wise, I have some review books which I'm about half way through (not that great, but need reviewing) plus others waiting for me, I'm not really sure where to go next!

It's the sort of book which I would love to read, but I'm not sure I practically can! :D

I agree, on a certain esoteric level I would too, but as you say, on a practical level.....I dunno! :friends0:

Moving ahead, on my ipod is the first Percy Jackson book, which I'm rather enjoying. There are a few annoyances, but on the whole it's good, and I'm hoping Beth might like it.

I just bought the first 3 in the series this morning. Look forward to hearing what you think when you've finished :friends0: Do you plan on continuing with the whole series?

I did find it a good fun book - I like the stories of the Greek gods, so I like this modern take. The annoyance is how they keep walking into trouble, it takes them far too long to become suspicious. I'm going to try the 2nd book, and see how it progresses. :friends0:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now listening to the 2nd Percy Jackson book, and enjoying it. I do like the world which has been created, and I'm rather keen to get hold of the film now. :D

I'm also listening to the latest Tess Gerritsen book.. the story has started well, but unfortunately the narrators voice is very annoying.. she's rather robotic sounding, and quite fast.

Reading wise, I have two more books of Margo Lanagan's, plus I've just been sent a copy of The Red Pyramid. It's the first in a new series by the author of the Percy Jackson books, and this time we have Egyptian gods! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I think I preferred the 1st Percy Jackson book to the 2nd, although there are things I like in both. I will definitely be getting the next two when my audible credit comes in. :) (The film, however, was a disappointment.)

I'm now trying to read too much at once! I'm just over halfway with the Red Pyramid, which is by the author of the Percy Jackson. It started off great, but has stalled a little in the middle. It's still a good book, with the same subtle humour.

I'm also reading Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan. I loved her book of YA short stories, but her novel has a different feel. It's taken a while to get a feel for the book, and now I understand what's going on, it's pretty good. It's rather odd though.. kinda like the Gregory Maguire books I've experienced.

Then today I picked up The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland at work (on our charity book table). I read a few pages at lunch, and I very much like so far. So now that's tempting me to continue too!

readingtwo.gif

Then today I picked up The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland at work (on our charity book table). I read a few pages at lunch, and I very much like so far. So now that's tempting me to continue too!

readingtwo.gif

I loved The Owl Killers its a great book, go on read that one :D

I like the sound of 'The Owl Killers' .. if it's anywhere near as good as her 'Company of Liars' book then I'll be happy.

Margo Lanagan is someone that Neil Gaiman keeps recommending and I keep meaning to try.

Looking forward to your thoughts on both Michelle :)

Hi poppyshake! I had a peek at the amazon reviews of The Owl Killers, and most seem to say it was really good, but not quite as good as Company of Liars. I very happily spotted that one in a charity shop today, so I now don't know which order to go in!

I wrote a quick review of one of Margo Lanagan's books here. :)

Unfortunately The Owl Killers and Company of Liars must now wait, as I've had two review books come in. The first is Someone Else's Son by Sam Hayes, which I'm very excited about. The second was a random send from Penguin called The Anatomy of Ghosts by Andrew Taylor.

I'm not sure if I'll continue Tender Morsels, as there are some things in it which make me feel too uncomfortable. The Red Pyramid is almost done, and is great, and I'm halfway through the 3rd Percy Jackson audiobook.

I am so glad that you are loving the Percy Jackson series and that Red Pyramid is also as good. I have just ordered it online for my son for Xmas.

As for the film, I am glad there was another person dissapointed. I think if you watched the film before reading the book you would really like it, like the people who I went with, but I kept getting frustrated.

• 2 weeks later...

catwoman, I totally agree - my mum and my daughter haven't read the books, and they enjoyed the film. I'm usually pretty good at separating the book and the film, but this film was frustrating. In most cases, you can see why they've changed certain things, as it comes across differently on screen, but I think that this book would have transferred perfectly.

I've finished The Red Pyramid, and will review soon - I think it's better for a slightly older age group, as it's a little more complex.

I'm now jumping between Someone Else's Son and The Anatomy of Ghosts, which have both started well, and I've passed on Tender morsels to someone who I think will do better with it. :)

Audiobook-wise, I'm now on the 4th Percy Jackson book. The narrator is excellent, and it's like being read to sleep! I will be very disappointed when the series is over.

I'm intrigued by Tender Morsels, Michelle. What is it that put you off? Is it something I should have a look at? Is it worth picking up from the bookshop? cool.gif

I'm 60 pages into it and I must admit, it's a bit shocking in some ways, but it's beautifully written. I'm quite enjoying it, but I think it'll take a little longer to get into it as so far everything just seems to be a random series of events with no real story holding them together.

Noll, it does start to make sense and come together.

I had some money left on a Waterstones gift card, so we went in the Bluewater store today. I fancied some YA books that I could read inbetween or alongside review books, and I got 4 very different books:

Holes by Louis Sacher - I've heard this one mentioned a lot, so wanted to give it a try.

The Poison Diaries by Maryrose Wood - It had a good cover! blush.gif

Before I Die by Jenny Downham - This is about a 16 year old dying of cancer. Descibed as 'Uplifting, life-affirming, joyous.'

White Chin by Marilyn Edwards - erm, I'm a sucker for a story about a cat! blush.gifmocking.gif

Holes by Louis Sacher - I've heard this one mentioned a lot, so wanted to give it a try.

I loved this book. Some of the kids I was working with a few years ago were doing it in English, so I thought I'd give it a go. I then watched the film which stars a young Shia LeBouef - way before his Transformers whirlwind. It's worth watching after you've read the book. He's excellent as Stanley Yelnats.

Cheers now! x