Michelle - 2010

Michelle

I've just finished The Queen Must Die, and I hope to get a proper review written over the weekend. As a summary though, it's probably aimed at those somewhere 9 and 13, depending on reading ability, and it's strength is that it gives a good insight to life in Victorian times, plus the characters are interesting.

The element of time travel, and the reasons behind it didn't quite work for me, although I can't put my finger on why. I personally feel that the author may have better simply writing an historical adventure for children, but in the age of Dr Who, this age group probably enjoy that added element.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just mentioned it on another thread and it reminded me .... the reader of 'Magyk' also reads 'The Book Thief' and it's excellent .. so I highly recommend listening to that (if it's your sort of thing) :).

For those of you interested in The Girl With Glass Feet, I'm about half way through, and it's a really good read. It's a slow paced story, but well written, and the idea behind the glass feet is just a part of it, as there's a lot about relationships etc. I'd recommend it so far, but of course I don't know how the story will progress and end.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been achieving much reading recently, especially since hurting my back. I'm yet to review The Girls with the Glass Feet, but I would recommend it. :(

Audiobooks and podcasts have been very useful.. I've listened to the first of the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and am half way through the second. I've read them in the past, but they are good ones to listen to, and the reader is brilliant. :)

Sorry to hear about your back Michelle, hope you feel better soon.

I loved the 'Bartimaeus' books and also the audio's .. I've listened to them lots .. as you say the reader is brilliant.

Glad you enjoyed 'The Girl with the Glass Feet' .. look forward to your review.

• 2 weeks later...

Review for the The Girl With Glass Feet is here, followed by my review for More Than It Hurts You. The first one I really enjoyed, the second I had mixed feelings about.

I've now started Tony and Susan, which I'm very impressed with so far.

Audio wise, I'm still listening to the second book in the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and I still think the first is the best. I've also started Good Omens.. it is quite good, but not as wonderful as I expected.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just realised that I've only read or listened to 11 books so far this year, which is a little slow for me. Mind you, I do have 5 others on the go at the moment. I didn't do much actual reading when my back was bad, and I have spent quite a lot of time at bed time listening to LOST podcasts!

My main read at the moment is Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill - I'm half way through, and still can't decide what I think.

I tend to listen to audiobooks when I go to bed Maureen, for many reasons. It sounds strange, but I used to go to bed feeling very tired, but not able to sleep. This way, I still get to 'read' if I'm tired, plus it really helps me relax, and get sleepy.

It's also been helpful with my back being painful.. it's uncomfortable to sit in bed and read, but with my ipod, I can get comfy! :D

I finished Apartment 16 last night, and my overall impression was very good. It's slow to build up, and gets better as it goes along. I'll be writing a proper review soon, but I would recommend it for horror fans looking for something a bit different. :roll:

Hi Michelle as a fellow audio book listener I always think its the best way of reading with my eyes shut, have you ever tried the BBC's Paul Temple series (adapted from Francis Durbridge), they are set in the 50's (???? sometimes its hard to tell) (my dad remembers them on the 'wireless') and a fictional detective serialisation. He and his wife steve solve crimes, drink cocktails and go to night clubs and talk in thats very british way hilarious but great to listen too in bed.

What have you got lined up Michelle .. audiobook-wise?

At the moment I'm listening to 'Inkdeath' (it's good, but I read the other two books and the narrators voices are completely different to the one's I'd made up in my head, takes some getting used to), I've also got 'Wolf Hall' to come and 'The Poisonwood Bible'.

I'm listening to Wicked at the moment, but I'm not that far in. I also started Good Omens but have lost interest in that one. :roll:

I also have waiting (runs off to grab ipod) Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (should keep me busy for some time! lol), Ptolemy's Gate, Songs of the Dying Earth and a couple of Torchwood stories. :D

Are you a fan of the classics, Michelle? iTunes has them for very cheap (under 5.00 US) or even free. I guess I don't know if it would be the same from the US to the UK, but there are some done by the University of Florida (I believe, don't quote me 100% on that) and they have a very sizeable list of classics that are completely free to download.

Hope you're enjoying Wicked :roll:

It really is one of those books you either love or hate. The beginning is a bit hard to get into but gets better once Elphaba is at school and you start to see her character as a completely seperate person from the famous Wicked Witch of the West.

We just finished reading it for the Rory Gilmore Book List Challenge and the ratings were either very high or very low, no middle of the roads.

• 2 weeks later...

My review for Apartment 16 is here - I'm eager for other people to read it, so I compare thoughts. :lol:

I've also just read Derren Brown's Tricks of the Mind. I hoped to get some more reveals as to how her does some of his shows, but I did enjoy it as a book - but then again I agree with most of what he says. :D