William Makepeace Thackeray - Vanity Fair

Chance

Hi there,

I haven't seen the movie yet but this is an interesting review:

Vanity Fair is an epic story by William Makepeace Thackeray of the rise Becky Sharp through the social ranks from her impoverished beginnings as an orphan girl. The film is your usual period extravaganza with all the usual trappings - lush locations, stunning costumes, hairstyles, horses, but what makes it a bit special is the director Mira Nair who is an Indian gal who made her mark with the brilliant "Monsoon Wedding" a couple of years ago.

Mira brings a fresh eye to the period and even gets a chance to throw in a Bollywood style dance number at one point! If you are more of a purest then maybe the BBC-TV version is more for you.

Reese Witherspoon could have made the whole thing unbearable but actually pulls it off nicely with her wicked slow eyes and shrewd moves reminiscent of Tracey Fleck in her best film to date - "Election". Also worthy of mention is Rhyss Ifans in a rather dapper serious role as an Army captain and Gabriel Byrne as the rather onerous Marquis of Steyne.

It's a long film loaded with matters of manners and backroom bitchiness, all to do with breeding but overall a familiar story quite well told.

Source

• 1 year later...

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (1853)

"Vanitas Vanitatum! Which of us is happy in this world? Which of us has his desire? or, having it, is satisfied?"

The blurb:

No one is better equipped in the struggle for wealth and worldly success than the alluring and ruthless Becky Sharp, who defies her impoverished background to clamber up the class ladder. Her sentimental companion Amelia, however, longs only for caddish soldier George. As the two heroines make their way through the tawdry glamour of Regency society, battles

To me it's a veritable feast of words to gorge upon.
I just LOVE how you put that! I'm going to have to give this one a try too now - you guys are going to bankrupt me in no time at all! off to add this to my wish-list...

I think the film is really good - I watched it last night, again! It was very unfairly bashed by critics, criticising how they'd edited the story. Well, it's over 800 pages long! How else would they fit it into two hours?? I think it's an excellent interpretation of the novel: it's so beautiful to look at and Mira Nair captures the decadence and 'gloss' of Thackeray's world. Reese Witherspoon's portrayl of Becky got some 'tut-tutting' but I feel some critics forgot that Becky's scheming side is only really apparant in her thoughts, not her behaviour.

I remember watching the BBC series, but I wasn't particluarly enamoured with it. After reading the novel, I think Mira Nair's film is much better.

• 1 year later...
Guest velocipede2288

Vanity fair is one of the greats. Thackery was a contemporary of Dickens and his equal if not so prolific a writer. An all time favourite.

This is one of my favorites, but I haven't read it yet this year. Dobbin is my favorite character, but both female main characters annoy the heck out of me, especially Amelia. I think Becky is far more entertaining.

• 5 months later...

This isn't one of my favourites, but I'm glad to have read it. I was so annoyed with Becky Sharp for the first half, then I started to pick up that she was the most interesting character. And Amelia is naive. The book had me commenting on the behaviour of the characters to myself, so it draws you in.

• 1 month later...

Though she is very interesting, I don't like Becky much, my favorite character was also Dobbin.

An exellent book, but I remember when I read it, thinking that Thackeray sometimes simplifies certain things a bit too much, like Amelia I think. It's been a while though, one or two years ago that I read it, so I could be wrong. One of the things I liked about the book was that Thackeray gave each character of the book, even unimportant characters, something original which only defines those certain characters. Most writers only do that with the main characters.

I used to dislike all descripitions in books and often skipped them to go on with the story. That changed when I came across books of authors who could describe things or people in a fascinating way. Now I do read descriptions sometimes.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I might this week. Still want to watch the movie version of the 'DaVinci Code' as well. I don't know which movie I'm going to watch first.

Edited by sadya

• 8 months later...

Don't be put off by its length, the pages will fly by. The BBC series was vastly superior to the film. The actors in the film were all a bit too pretty. Dobbin is so loveable, I just wanted to slap Amelia and I was cheering for Becky until...well, I won't spoil it!!

• 8 months later...

So, I have just started this, am about 40 pages in. Have to get used to the tone of the book a bit, as always with classics. Can't say much yet of course since I've only been reading it a bit. But just thought I'd give it a go, especially since it only cost me 4 euros, even if it was a horrible green penguin popular classics edition. ;)