What are your reading resolutions for 2010?

ian

I'd like to reduce my TBR. I did quite well last year, and managed not to acquire too many new books (there was a rush at the end of the year with xmas and what with my birthday being in Decemberbut aside from that I only bought a handful of books myself.)

I'd like to read more - I managed about 25 or so in 2009. I'd like to break 30 in 2010.

I'd also like to read more non-fiction, of which there is plenty on my shelves :blush:

I'd also like to read more non-fiction, of which there is plenty on my shelves :lol:

There's a very good book I can recommend, if you like alternative history/religion/spirituality with a dose of science fiction for good measure ! :blush: Sorry, couldn't resist a quick plug there ...

I want to keep track of what I read in 2010: I start a list every year and haven't managed to keep it up yet, so I don't know how many books I read in a year.

I'd also like to try a couple of French books which have been sat on my shelves for ages. Maybe the snow and ice will keep me in and I can make a start pretty soon! :D

I've been reading it on and off for most of the last decade. It's fascinating in places but mostly it's just insanely, overwhelmingly, big. Long.

Not sure if i want to spend a decade reading a book :smile2:. I'm sure it is a fascinating read though, must be great just to dip in and out of. I saw another history of London book with over 1000 pages! I think i'll put this one on the back-burner for now :D.

Oh, oh - I've got another one:

4. Wherever possible (that is to say, unless a book is out of print or similar), I shall always buy books first-hand in actual bookshops. This will be good for:

- the bookstore's survival in this technological age

- the size of authors' royalty cheques

- my sanity, compromised as it is by books in poor condition

- my general wellbeing, as it means exercise and braving public transport

4. Wherever possible (that is to say, unless a book is out of print or similar), I shall always buy books first-hand in actual bookshops. This will be good for:

I'm adding this one to my own resolutions. :D Secondhand books are all well and good, but I don't mind paying a bit extra for a book in order to be the first one to read it.

Interesting. I should really buy more from bookstores. However I acquire most of my books at xmas or birthday. Perhaps I should get waterstones vouchers instead of pointing people to online store links.

Well said BookJumper - especially the second one ! Same reason that 90 percent of my books come from Waterstones as well (with a hefty chunk of the remaining 10 percent direct from the authors themselves).

As for my own reading resolutions, to be honest, I don't think I have any - just to carry on reading and trying new things !

I will go through my shelves at some stage, as much to dust them as anything else, and it will be good to have an idea of what books I have on them that I am yet to read.

I will keep a note of what I have read over the course of the year, but beyond these two things I have no major plans or schemes or targets. I will read what I read and will no doubt enjoy many. Maybe next year I'll have targets and plans, this year I'l keep it mood driven.

My resolutions are to:

1. Finish Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles

2. Investigate Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld Series

3. Read the Neil Gaiman books which I've yet to read

4. Read more non-fiction surrounding the Tudor period and the French Revolution.

:):D I might join Bookjumper in buying books only from bookshops too.

Buy no more than 4 new books a month. All other books must be borrowed either from friends or library, swapped or received as gifts! That way some of my reading will be recommended by someone other than Amazon. I get so lazy with the 'If you liked this, you might like this' thing that I've found the variety of what I read has reduced significantly.

I went to the library last week and they actually have a great range and it's free! What an awesome hobby.

Other than that I would like to read some non-fiction this year (last year the only non-fiction I read was about OJ Simpson and even then I'm not sure how factual it was).