Shirley's reading pile - 2010

shirleyz

Good luck with your book log resolution - you'll be surprised how easy it is to keep a note of what you're reading here as you'll have lots of encouragement from other members. :roll:

1 of my New Year Resolutions - to start a read / tbr blog... let's hope it lasts :roll:

just finished - The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (8.5/10)

now reading - The Yorkshire Pudding Club by Milly Johnson

What is the the Yorkshire pudding club about?

HI all - Yorkshire pudding club (Milly JOhnson) is a book about the lives of three friends... follow the link for Amazon book synopsis http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yorkshire-Pudding-Club-Milly-Johnson/dp/1416525904

not sure what to make of it as yet, but i needed a good book about friendship, so i guess this fits the bill. I chose it because of the name - many times i buy a book because the name is enticing, so i get interested :)

with regards to new year resolutions... no Mau, not really, but I thought it was a good excuse to make me stick to the exercise :lol:

finished Yorkshire pudding... not too sure about this book as I feel it works well on an "emotions" level but feel that sometime is hurries through certain events, and the character development suffers...

don't want to give anything away tho, and all in all a good chick lit book :D

now reading Children of Eve by Deidre Purcell. I had read Entertaining Ambrose (a couple of times actually) some time back and loved it, so I decided to try another one by this author. so far so good :lol:

• 1 month later...

now reading Children of Eve by Deidre Purcell. I had read Entertaining Ambrose (a couple of times actually) some time back and loved it, so I decided to try another one by this author. so far so good :smile2:

Slightly disappointed by this book, especially when compared to Entertaining Ambrose... I felt that the chracters were not as fully developed as they could have been...

now half-way through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. This is not usually a style I would choose, but after reading so many good reviews, I borrowed it from a friend. After plodding through the first 100 (or so) pages, I must say I'm enjoying the twists of the story. Let's hope it keeps up the pace. I would be interested in getting the rest of the Millenium trilogy books to see how the story develops.

• 2 weeks later...

since my last post I've read:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon - a book which offers insight on the life and thinking process of an autistic boy. a touching, down to earth story

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - actually I had read this book about 3 years ago, however I still enjoyed this

Now reading The House of Spirits - Isabel Allende.

• 3 months later...

i'm hoping to remember all the books I've read since my last post...

(not in any particular order)

Bitter Fruit (Achmat Dangor) - not too sure what to make of this book. I must say I understood the story much more after I read quite a few book reviews online

The Girl who Played with Fire (Steig Larsson) - was really looking forward to this 2nd book in this trilogy. Must say I enjoyed it even more than the first

Just Between Us (Cathy Kelly) – a light read, but I found this book dragging at times, and pretty predictable…

Something Rotten (Jasper Fforde) – what can I say? I love Jasper Fforde, and I was certainly not disappointed!! My favourite so far!

Purple Hibiscus (Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie) - a great story of a young girl and her family living in Nigeria in post-apartheid period. a truly touching tale

Just finished About a Boy (Nick Hornby) - found this book highly amusing, bu I found myself picturing the characters as the people in the movie, which I watched quite a few years ago

now reading Jericho Point (Meg Gardiner) - first book from this author, not too sure about her style