Catwoman's 2010 Reading log!

catwoman

Synopsis

Book#9: Breaking Dawn (Twilight book 4) - Stephanie Meyer

To be irrevocably in love with a vampire is both fantasy and nightmare woven into a dangerously heightened reality for Bella Swan. Pulled in one direction by her intense passion for Edward Cullen, and in another by her profound connection to werewolf Jacob Black, she has endured a tumultuous year of temptation, loss and strife to reach the ultimate turning point. Her imminent choice to either join the dark but seductive world of immortals or pursue a fully human life has become the thread from which the fate of two tribes hangs. Now that Bella has made her decision, a startling chain of unprecedented events is about to unfold with potentially devastating and unfathomable consequences. Just when the frayed strands of Bella's life - first discovered in TWILIGHT, then scattered and torn in NEW MOON and ECLIPSE - seem ready to heal and knit together, could they be destroyed...forever?

A book that I had been looking forward to for a while, but I had heard some less than brillant reviews before hand and I had actaully been told the story before hand whcih ruined it a little. But I still lvoed it. I was hooked for the first page.

I absolutely adore Edward. I can not get enough of him. I totally forgot I was in a book. I was in this world, totally sucked in, if the plane crashed I don't think I would have realised. :lol:

I did not mind Jacob in this book. Like is maybe a too strong a word. Normally I groan when I see a big chunk of warewolve

Sorry Shapeshifter :( Why did she have to correct herslef? Did someone email her and tell her of the mistake?

I love the relationship between Edward and Jacob in this book. I got many smiles, laugh out louds and ooooooooooooh from this book just from the converstations and scenes with those two in. I do however hate the

Nessie/Jacob imprinting thing.

I found rather cringeworthy and felt kind of strange reading it. I also found the swing of emotions from Bella and Edward about it stange also.

The only other thing that got me confused was the whole

Charlie thing. I thought there was going to be some big cliffhanger or thing at the end. Due to the drmatic and rather quick and sudden inclusion of the storyline.

The ending like other people was a bit like Eclipse and was an anti climax, how long was the build up? ;) I did however shed tears, smile and all the other emotion the books bring out of me.

I was sad to turn the final page and see The End.

This is just a thought but

All this talk about her never doing another Twilight book again, yet for me for her to point out that the Volturi will come back and take revenge one by one due to the 'fight'' Edward Pg 689. Made me think that she has those stories in her head ready to use maybe at a later time..... Maybe that is jUST wishful thinking on my part? :D

All in all I loved the book, even the ending. It's a series where if another book came out I would have to preorder it, counting down the days to read. I don't care if it is not the most beautifully written in the world, or if it has the contention to be up their with soome of the greatest books/ series on Earth. For me there is something about the series, the characters, that make me feel that I am there. Like they are my friends, and that to me is one hell of a good series.

Pros: EDWARD CULLEN!!!

Did anyone else imagine when he was being Daddy to Nessie think of that black and white picture poster of the bare chested model with the baby craddeled in his arms?:)

Cons: Some of the sub plots were strange and hard to digest. The ending could have had a bit more pow!

9/10

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a thought but

All this talk about her never doing another Twilight book again, yet for me for her to point out that the Volturi will come back and take revenge one by one due to the 'fight'' Edward Pg 689. Made me think that she has those stories in her head ready to use maybe at a later time..... Maybe that is jUST wishful thinking on my part? :D

Interestingly, Weave has just posted some links in the New Moon film thread to an interview with Meyer, and although I could only manage a couple of minutes before I got bored and couldn't be bothered to listen anymore, she does talk about

the possibility of future books and says that in her head she knows exactly how Bella and Edwards lives continue

Thanks for that Chesilbeach.

I thought and hoped that might be the case.

she has obviously got over the leak. It just seems a bad way to end the series. I honestly thought they would both be dead in some Romeo and Juliet plot, and Nessie would go and live with Jacob. :D even though I would not want that to happen.

The book just seemed like there were too many reasons not to carry on.

again thanks for that *goes and hunts the video*

Edited by catwoman

Great reviews of both books Catwoman and inparticular your reference to the Uri Gellar beading spoons bit. :lol: Sorry you didn't like The Lost Symbol. I haven't read it myself but I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code and Angel & Demons.

As for Breaking Dawn, I thought it was just me. I also felt there was more to the story. I just think she definitely could continue with more books and of course everyone would be gagging for them. ;) Even though BD was one of my favourite books in the series, I also found a few cringe worthy aspects.

I may be the only one, but I really thought the whole Nessie thing was cringe worthy. But then of course, what other way would Edward have turned Bella? Yeah, the whole imprint thing was weird but I was glad of it so Jacob would just leave Bella alone. He was really annoying me. :(

I know I have said that I prefer the Stackhouse books but I still love Twilight and yeah....EDWARD! :D Anyway, I think most of us who enjoyed the series was sad at the end because there was no more to read. Seriously, I really did have that gapping hole and felt lost for a few days. I just couldn't stop thinking about the whole story. Sad eh? :)

Great reviews, CW! I feel the same way about the Lost Symbol, and agree with you on the dislike of

the whole Jacob imprinting on Renesme thing and the way Charlie dealt with Bella's turning

in BD. The ending definitely could have had a lot more pow, and I adored Edward as well (surprise, surprise) :D. I don't know if I've asked you this before, but have you read the 260+ pages of Midnight Sun?

Great reviews, CW! I feel the same way about the Lost Symbol, and agree with you on the dislike of

the whole Jacob imprinting on Renesme thing and the way Charlie dealt with Bella's turning

in BD. The ending definitely could have had a lot more pow, and I adored Edward as well (surprise, surprise) :D. I don't know if I've asked you this before, but have you read the 260+ pages of Midnight Sun?

I have read midnight sun, and I really liked it. I loved reading th elittle bits of what Edward 'heard' . Especially in the cafetria. I loved that. The only problem about it is that the actual story would not progress. saying that I would love to know what he really thought about Jcob in the last book, and about Nessie. That would be real interesting.

Great reviews catwoman :(

I was thinking of getting the lost symbol but I have Angels and Demons to read first so I guess I'll see how it goes with that one before hand.

Glad you enjoyed BD too, I hope you're right and there are more books in the series to come! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Book #10 3rd Degree - James Patterson

The third novel in the Women's Murder Club series. One of the best-loved heroines from the Women's Murder Club is about to die. Which one will it be? Detective Lindsay Boxer is jogging along a beautiful San Francisco street as a ferocious blast rips through the neighbourhood. A townhouse owned by an internet magnate explodes into flames, three people die and a sinister note signed 'August Spies' is found at the scene. Soon a wave of violence sweeps through the city -- and it seems that whoever is behind it is intent on killing someone every three days. Even more terrifying, the four friends who call themselves the Women's Murder Club discover that the killer has targeted one of them. And Lindsay learns that one member of the club is hiding a secret so dangerous and unbelievable that it could destroy them all.

I lost my mojo for a while not because of the book just to be honest did not want to read for a it. Luckly I was reading this bok as with all PAtterson's they are easy put downn and pick back up.

Ok so like all Patterson's books this was a wuick paced book with lots of action, and very short chapters, which are shorter than my finger nails! :D But for a single Mum I like that, a quick chapter here, quick chapter there all mounts up.

The book was very political, which I have been finding in a few of his more later books.

As for the characters, when something happensto one of the characters, I actually di dnot feel any emotion, I don't tend to with the characters, I find that with Patterson's chracters. Yet with Patterson Id o tend to get engrossed in the thriller. I suppose you an't win them all.

7/10

Great reviews CW! I'm interested in what you said about The Lost Symbol, I'm probably going to give it a go at some point as I find Brown's writing quite easy to absorb so it fits the bill when I'm tired. I'm re-working my way through Angels and Demons (slowly).

Book #11: Hush Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick

A sacred oath, a fallen angel, a forbidden love...This darkly romantic story features our heroine, Nora Grey, a seemingly normal teenage girl with her own shadowy connection to the Nephilim, and super-alluring bad boy, Patch, now her deskmate in biology class. Together they find themselves at the centre of a centuries-old feud between a fallen angel and a Nephilim...Forced to sit next to Patch in science class, Nora attempts to resist his flirting, though gradually falls for him against her better judgment. Meanwhile creepy things are going on with a mysterious stalker following her car, breaking into her house and attacking her best friend, Vi. Nora suspects Patch, but there are other suspects too - not least a new boy who has transferred from a different college after being wrongly accused of murdering his girlfriend. And he seems to have taken a shine to Nora...Love certainly is dangerous...and someone is going to have to make the ultimate sacrifice for it.

I had wanted to read this book for a while when I saw it in my local tescos while doing a Christmas shop. I decided to wait until after the Xmas period was over. Lucky for me I was able to get it out from my library. So if it was not good and was too YA for me, it would not matter.

But I was plesantly surprised in the end. With a start that started out with a "Lets jump on he Twilight bandwagon" but instead of a vampire lets replace it with an Angel.

Yes there are MANY things that make you compare it to Twilight. Yet once you get past that feeling, you get to read a good book in it's own right.

With a non existant mojo (and I mean existant) this book got my mojo in full swing. I could not litrally put the book down. Housework was put aside today just so I could read it to the end I HAD TO FINISH IT!!!

Ok so it is not the most original of books, we know where some of her inspiration came from, yet there are some quirky ideas in the mix, and some interesting characters. There are not many characters which is good. I never got confused by who was who and with each character I had an ideal in my head of whom they were. Saying that I did not think that it was for me the best of written books, but then it is a YA.

For people with YAs most definately a book for them. No sex in it at all. flirting, yes. Talked about a little. But nothing in detail(very very very little in fact) Also no swearing. Yet unlike some other YA books, no childish or modern slang used.

All in all a good and exciting read for a flagging mojo. Will be looking out for the next one CRESENDO.

Pros: Quick read, memorable characters. Kept me hooked.

Cons: For me not quite up there with Twilight, but has great promise.

9/10

• 4 weeks later...

My best friend who only reads Twilight over and over again, borrowed my copy before I had to take it back to the library and she LOVED IT and can't wait for the next one in the serious to come out. I am also going to be starting another Vampire/angel type lov e story book soon which seems good.

Book #12: The Hunger Games (Book 1) by Suzanne Collins.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. But Katniss has been close to death before - and survival, for her, is second nature. "The Hunger Games" is a searing novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. Welcome to the deadliest reality TV show ever...

I was totally chocker with things to do while reading this book which was a real shame. I saw this on the YA section of new books in at my local library. It seemed a totally different and novel idea and decided to pick it up on a whim.

I was not dissapointed. Totally original idea and easily read for both adults and YA alike. Great characters that suck you in, and an idea with many twists and turns that keep you guessing right to the end.

The pace of the book is perfect, with enough detailed to get your gripped yet not too much where you are yawn and yearning for it to move on. There are three 'parts' to this book. One before the games, where you see kaniss's life before the games, how much of a struggle it is to even get the basics of food and shows how she gained some of her strength and knowledge, also some of the other people in her life whom get mentioned through out the book. You then see the transformationfor the public. Second part is the games itself and the third part is the aftermath.

The ending is good and ends on such a dramatic note, you really are like nooooo, what the ??? Quick get me the second book NOW!!!

Pros: Not read a book like this in a long time, perfect for YA and Adults alike

Cons: The cover of the edition I had.

It had to different sides of the cover so you knew that Peeta was also a good guy, when at one point you did not know if he was.

Fantastic and can't wait to read the second, I just am worried it can't top this!

9/10

Nice review, Catwoman. I have the first two books on my TBR pile but I've decided to try and hang out until the third book is released so I don't have an agonising wait in between. :D

Book #13: Eternal - Cynthia Leich Smith

CLASSIFIED ADS: WANTED Personal assistant to Her Royal Highness. Duties: Whatever is asked, without hesitation, including but not limited to secretarial / administrative, household, defence, blood donation, driving, companionship, prey disposal, and love slavery. At last, Miranda is the life of the party: all she had to do was die. Elevated and adopted by none other than the reigning King of the Mantle of Dracul, Miranda goes from high school theatre wannabe to glamorous royal fiend overnight. Meanwhile, Zachary, her reckless and adoring guardian angel, demoted to human guise as the princess

But... Now this is the thing. I really want to know what happens. Again The writer, being the cleverwriter she is, has left it.... You guessed it.. Open.. Way-hey! and because of this and me being the sort of person I am I want to read the next book, so no it can't be that bad.

The happened to me when I read LJ Smith's Vampire Diaries. They weren't very good but I've read all four and I'm waiting for number 5 to be released this year so I can bore myself a wee bit more :smile2:

Thanks for the review! :lol:

(p.s.....I agree with Stephanie. Without a hot vampire or 2, what's the point! ;))