Catwoman's 2010 Reading log!

catwoman

Ok first book of the year! So here is my first review:

Book #1: The Big Over Easy - Jasper Fforde.

'It looks like he died from injuries sustained during a fall...'

Bestselling author Jasper Fforde begins an effervescent new series. '

It's Easter in Reading - a bad time for eggs - and no one can remember the last sunny day. Humpty Dumpty, well-known nursery favourite, large egg, ex-convict and former millionaire philanthropist is found shattered beneath a wall in a shabby area of town.

Following the pathologist's careful reconstruction of Humpty's shell, Detective Inspector Jack Spratt and his Sergeant Mary Mary are soon grappling with a sinister plot involving cross-border money laundering, the illegal Bearnaise sauce market, corporate politics and the cut and thrust world of international Chiropody.

As Jack and Mary stumble around the streets of Reading in Jack's Lime Green Austin Allegro, the clues pile up, but Jack has his own problems to deal with. And on top of everything else, the JellyMan is coming to town...

Ok so my first book of 2010, well becuase of the time of year and many family commitments and Super Mum duties to do, it took my longer than I would have liked to have finished this book. In some respects I wish I had read this another time so I could have sat there for hours with a cup of coffee and devoured it in one sitting. What a fantastic start to my year.

This book is a breath of fresh air in a genre (Murder who dunnit) that has for me become slightly stale. I do not know a book like it. Funny from start to finsh, I warn you if you read this book in public expect funny dissaproving looks from fellow people due to the strange laughing noises coming out from your mouth.

Hillarious and yet loving characters, charactors that you want to see again. Jack is hillarious and you find that you are 'egging' (get it) him on to do well and to get that out of reach memebership of the guilds. Mary is a character whom you learn to love. I think she will develop in character in the next book in the series.

There are many twists and turns in the book with many referances to famous detectives inclusing Miss Marple, and Agatha Christie and if I am right a little bit of Monty Python in there to boot. HOWEVER, do not think that the constant flow of humour will ruin the book and will not be well written, it is fantastically written.

AAAAAH I could go on for days about how good this book is. I don't give out top marks very often but this deserves it.

READ THIS BOOK!

Pros: Fantastic in every single way! Good characters, good twists and turns, original.

Cons: If read in public you may become utterly embarassed due to laughing out loud!

A MAGNIFICENT 10/10!!!!

Edited by catwoman

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IKylie oh yeah I'd almost forgotten that Manson had a bit of a thing for the Beatles! Helter Skelter was one of their songs wasn't it.

Edit: Kylie and catwoman, how about Let Me Take You Down: Inside the Mind of Mark David Chapman,the Man Who Killed John Lennon? That's on my wishlist as well.

Yes, Helter Skelter is a Beatles song, and I believe he wrote the word 'Piggies' or something on the wall in blood. Piggies is the name of another Beatles song.

Hmm, the other book sounds interesting as well. I haven't heard of it before. Who's the author?

Catwoman, what a fantastic review! Sold!! I'm going to add this book to my wishlist immediately :roll:

Kylie, the Mark Chapman book is by Jack Jones. I got this from play.com:

Based on five years of interviews between reporter Jack Jones and Mark David Chapman, this book looks at the forces that compelled Chapman to kill John Lennon. A chillingly articulate man, Chapman dissects his own life, describing childhood fantasies and the youthful idealism that decayed into satanic ritual and a murder that shocked the world. Chapman's wife, family, former lovers and friends are all interviewed.

Ooh, that sounds really interesting. I'm kind of torn, because I usually like to avoid anything about him. I have a thing (I think other Beatles fans do too) where I can't/won't even say his name or type it. I don't even know why; I guess I don't want to give him any publicity (which I believe is what he craves), and I guess I would be doing just that by buying this book! Ooh, what a dilemma :roll:

What a fantastic review. This book has been receiving loads of interest around the forum and it looks great. Is this the best place to start with his books then?

What a fantastic review. This book has been receiving loads of interest around the forum and it looks great. Is this the best place to start with his books then?

Awe thanks Ben!

Honestly I am not the best person to ask as I have only read this one, but this is the first one in the Nursery Detective series, so I would presume so.

Hope that helps Ben.

Awe thanks Ben!

Honestly I am not the best person to ask as I have only read this one, but this is the first one in the Nursery Detective series, so I would presume so.

Hope that helps Ben.

Yep, that's great thanks. Consider it add it to my wishlist and I'll find someone that can help with the rest of his works. Thanks again. :roll:

Yep, that's great thanks. Consider it add it to my wishlist and I'll find someone that can help with the rest of his works. Thanks again. :roll:

Fantastic! Please let me know when you have read it, I would love to hear your thought, hopefully you will love it as much as me.

CW.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed The Big Over Easy! I actually borrowed it from a member of this forum a couple of years back (I'm sorry, I can't remember who it was now - isn't that terrible?!) and adored it. I actually prefer the Nursery Crime books to the Thursday Next ones! (Although I do love the TN ones too.)

I'm so pleased you enjoyed The Big Over Easy! I actually borrowed it from a member of this forum a couple of years back (I'm sorry, I can't remember who it was now - isn't that terrible?!) and adored it. I actually prefer the Nursery Crime books to the Thursday Next ones! (Although I do love the TN ones too.)

I'm not sure if I will read the Thursday Next ones, as I am more a crime who dunnit fan, but because the book was sooo good, I might well be tempted!

@ CHESILBEACH - Yep a fully pledge member of the Fforrde fan club right here! :roll:

@ Catwoman: please, please do read the Thursday Next ones :roll: they are fantabulous. There's enough crime elements (murders, kidnappings, hijackings, investigations, conspiracies...) in there to keep you happy, I should think - and yet they're twisted around in such a way that someone like me, who does not read crime fiction as a rule, loves them also. Jasper = Jenius of Crossjenre.

@ Ben: I'd start with the TN books (The Eyre Affair is the first of those) simply because he wrote those before the NC books, which are a spin-off mini-series of the TNs; still, there's people here who've read the NC books first without getting confused so I guess Jasper wrote them to stand alone as well :lol:.

@ Kylie: I know what you mean, I wouldn't touch that book with a bargepole, the same way I refuse to see the film they recently made about John's murder. That said, I swore elsewhere on these forums that I'd never be seen owning The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away yet I've discovered a copy in my collection at home; I also managed to ascribe it to the silly Decca exec as opposed to the boys' first manager, so I'm obviously losing my marbles here... :lol:. At least it proves I haven't read it, I suppose.

@ Catwoman: please, please do read the Thursday Next ones :roll: they are fantabulous. There's enough crime elements (murders, kidnappings, hijackings, investigations, conspiracies...) in there to keep you happy, I should think - and yet they're twisted around in such a way that someone like me, who does not read crime fiction as a rule, loves them also. Jasper = Jenius of Crossjenre.

@ Ben: I'd start with the TN books (The Eyre Affair is the first of those) simply because he wrote those before the NC books, which are a spin-off mini-series of the TNs; still, there's people here who've read the NC books first without getting confused so I guess Jasper wrote them to stand alone as well :lol:.

@ Kylie: I know what you mean, I wouldn't touch that book with a bargepole, the same way I refuse to see the film they recently made about John's murder. That said, I swore elsewhere on these forums that I'd never be seen owning The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away yet I've discovered a copy in my collection at home; I also managed to ascribe it to the silly Decca exec as opposed to the boys' first manager, so I'm obviously losing my marbles here... :lol:. At least it proves I haven't read it, I suppose.

Thanks BJ. My only concern about reading the TN ones is that I have to read Jane Eyre again and it reminds me of GCSE English and the horrible teacher that used to make us stand in the cold if we got a question wrong *shudders* I now becuase of this hate the book, and I don't want to re read the orginal, do I have to re read it.

*Lightbulb moment* A-ha, maybe I could get an audio book version and listen to it before I read the Eyre affair.

Fantastic review catwoman! The Big Over Easy has been added to my wishlist :roll: How could I resist with those comments? :lol:

Thanks BJ. My only concern about reading the TN ones is that I have to read Jane Eyre again and it reminds me of GCSE English and the horrible teacher that used to make us stand in the cold if we got a question wrong *shudders* I now becuase of this hate the book, and I don't want to re read the orginal, do I have to re read it.

This is my concern too, is it a must to read Jane Eyre? I would read it if I thought it would spoil The Eyre Affair :lol:

You don't *have* to re-read it; I've not (yet, I intend to though) read the original in full, so I read The Eyre Affair purely on the strength of the Zeffirelli film - though others confirm my suspicion that Fforde's books are best enjoyed after having read the originals, I have got by so far only knowing the plotlines of said originals :lol: and, what a horrible, horrible teacher... it's a wonder you haven't been put off reading altogether :roll:!

Fantastic review catwoman! The Big Over Easy has been added to my wishlist :roll: How could I resist with those comments? :D

This is my concern too, is it a must to read Jane Eyre? I would read it if I thought it would spoil The Eyre Affair :lol:

Fantastic, I hope you like it Charm, I am pretty sure you will, we seem to have the same humor, I think. :lol:

You don't *have* to re-read it; I've not (yet, I intend to though) read the original in full, so I read The Eyre Affair purely on the strength of the Zeffirelli film - though others confirm my suspicion that Fforde's books are best enjoyed after having read the originals, I have got by so far only knowing the plotlines of said originals :D and, what a horrible, horrible teacher... it's a wonder you haven't been put off reading altogether :lol:!

I think I might audio book it, I havemy original copy of Eyre at my Mother's house, but honestly I just remember hating the class and hating the book.

The teacher was horrible, she made me hate English for six months until she was sacked. The English classes were in old fashioned huts, and one lesson she told this boy to stand outside in the cold. One of the other English teachers noted this and told the headmaster, who as a result watched my teacher do it over 20 times in a week if I remember right. In the end she was sacked and we had a wonderful teacher, who tought me the wonderful world of Harper Lee!

As for reading the Eyre affair, I will get an audio book of Jane Eyre and listen to it while at the gym or working.

Thank you Giulia. :roll: Do you think I would enjoy them?

@ Ben: I'd start with the TN books (The Eyre Affair is the first of those) simply because he wrote those before the NC books, which are a spin-off mini-series of the TNs; still, there's people here who've read the NC books first without getting confused so I guess Jasper wrote them to stand alone as well :roll:.

While I agree that the Thursday Next books are a good place to start, I hate to disagree with you, Giulia, but Mr Fforde actually wrote The Big Over Easy first, but The Eyre Affair was officially the first book he had published. After the success of the first few TN books, TBOE then had an extensive overhaul (and now includes some nods to our favourite literary detective) and was published after the success of the first few TN books.

Alas it matters not. Thanks to Chesil for the right order but the recommendation still remains the same so I don't feel led astray my good friend. :D

Catwoman, I'm absolutely outraged to hear about your former English teacher!! I'm so happy the next teacher was only a million times better and made you enjoy books again :lol:

Awe thanks Frankie, I hate to think of all the people she put off reading!