Paperplane's Reading 2010

paperplane

Eep! I haven't been on here for what seems like ages. I'm pretty happy with the amount of books I've read last year. Am going to try to fit more in this year though.

I've pretty much given up on Jane Eyre, I'm half way but just can't quite push myself through the rest.

2010 - Have Read So Far:

Little Girl Lost - Drew Barrymore

Living With the Dead - Lisa Williams

Die A Little - Megan Abbot (Half read - didn't like)

Company - Max Barry

Dog Boy - Eva Hourning (Half Read - didn't like)

Black Ice - Leah Giarratano

Private Dancer - Stephen Leather

The Little Friend - Donna Tartt (Half read - didn't like)

Something Rotten - Jasper Fforde (Half read - didn't like)

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters - G.W Dahlquist (1/4 read - couldn't finish)

Vintage - Olivia Darling

The Messenger - Markus Zusak

Prozac Nation - Elizabeth Wurtzel

We Need to Talk About Kevin - Linoel Shriver (Gave up on)

The Da Vinci Code (Read 1 chapter, gave up on)

Play Dead - Harlen Corben

The Luxe - Anna Godbersen

Rumors - Anna Godbersen

Currently Reading:

Envy - Anna Godbersen

Next to be read:

Rumours - Anna Godbersen

Envy - Anna Godbersen

Hells Angels - Hunter S Thompson

House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski

The Crimson Petal and the White

My Cousin Rachel - Daphnie Du Maurier

Procession of the Dead - D.B Shan

Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffernegger

Next to be bought/borrowed:

13: The Story of the World's Most Notorious Superstition - Nathaniel Lachenmeyer

The Blood Countess: Erzebet Bathory - Valentine Penrose

Body Copy - Michael Craven

Bright Young Things - Anna Godbersen

Columbine - Dave Cullen

Countess Dracula: The Life & Times of Elizabeth Bathory - Tony Thorne

December - Elizabeth Hartley Winthrop

Dream Story - Arthur Schnitzler

Earth Abides - George R Stewart

Familiar Scars - Christy Stewart

Heart of A Dog - Mikhail Bulgakov

High Rise - J.G Ballard

How Late it was, How Late - James Kelman

Janet Frame: An Autobiography - Janet Frame

John Dies at the End - David Wong

Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy

L.A Candy - Lauren Conrad

Madapple - Christina Meldrum

Marching Powder- Rusty Young

Metropole - Ferenec Karinthy

Numbers - Rachel Ward

Parasites Like Us - Adam Johnson

Post Office - Charles Bukowski

Procession of the Dead - D.B Shan

The Quiet Earth - Craig Harrison

Queenpin - Megan Abbott

The Red Necklace - Sally Gardner

Shantaram - Gregory Davis Roberts

The Shining - Stephen King

Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed,Chunked and Spewed - Lance Carbuncle

Sorceress - Celia Rees

Strangers on a Train - Patricia Highsmith

Sugar Rush - Julie Burchill

To Catch A Thief - David Dodge

Underbelly: The Golden Mile

Vanishing Point - David Markson

Vertigo - Pierre Boileau

The Voice Imitator - Thomas Bernhard

Watership Down - Richard Adams

Witch Child - Celia Rees

We - Yevgeny Zamyatin

Wonder Boys - Michael Chabon

The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman

To be continued...:)

Edited by paperplane

I'd love to know what you think of House of Leaves (I'm dead interested by Danielewski's unorthodox approach to typography and by the fact that he shares my roots, however the book is quite an investment) and Countess Dracula (she fascinates me and yet I know next to nothing about her) :) happy reading!

Both books are hard to get a hold of I've found, House of Leaves is apparently not being reprinted anytime soon according to the guy in Dymocks as he was after it as well.

The books I'm reading at the moment I've borrowed from the library, I'm half way through Die A Little but have given up, it's a chore to get through. Dog Boy is going okay, a little slow moving.

I've started Company which is quite entertaining, it's just what I need right now.

Edited by paperplane

Little Girl Lost - Drew Barrymore

What was this like? I like autobiographies. I imagine I would find this one quite interesting. I really enjoyed Daniella Westbrooks autobiog about her cocaine addiction and I really like Drew Barrymore. She seems a lovely person.

You have some great books on your TBR list!

Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy

The Shining - Stephen King

I'll be interested in your thoughts on these as they are both authors I like.

Strangers on a Train - Patricia Highsmith

This is on my bookshelf and I am very excited about reading it, hopefully I'll get to it quite soon. I love Highsmith although I suspect a Hitchcock theme in your choices? Are these two:

To Catch A Thief - David Dodge

Vertigo - Pierre Boileau

books that the Hitchcock films are based on? If so I'd also be quite intrigued to read them.

My Cousin Rachel - Daphne Du Maurier

Watership Down - Richard Adams

Both fabulous reads. I hope you enjoy. Watership Down is one of my all time favourite books. Are you a Du Maurier fan?

• 2 months later...

Urghh I haven't read anything since my last post. I had a few things to sort out in my life. I've missed reading and I miss being able to buy books, library ones just aren't the same as fresh glossy new ones. One thing I still need is a job, it's soul destroying getting rejection emails one after the other.

I gave up on all three books I last borrowed, I would like to finish 'The Little Friend' by Donna Tartt though.

I've started on a new batch I'll hopefully finish, not off to a great start this year I want to beat my 40 something books I read last year.

Ooo ~ I will keep an eye open for your thoughts on Private Dancer, your the first person I have come across who has it on their list.

I enjoyed it, it changed my perceptions of Thai bar girls and I found learning about a their culture and different priorities really interesting. The book is based on real people/ places and is often described as a 'must read' for visitors to Thailand.

Off to research Countess Dracula now.....

k x

Finished 'Black Ice' last night which was a good read, I liked that it was set in greater western Sydney so I could relate to a lot of the places that were mentioned in the book. It's rare that Australian books are set out here, it's usually the city or Melbourne.

Have started on Private Dancer and am liking it so far, I like how it goes from one characters version of events to the other's version without being too repetitive.

Hmm finished 'Private Dancer' yesterday afternoon, was interesting to learn about Thai nightlife and what really goes on, it was a quick and easy read but I didn't expect it to end the way it did.

I reborrowed The 'Little Friend' as I really want to get it finished. Also got 'Something Rotten' by Jasper Fforde as I keep hearing good things about him on here. And also 'The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters', it sounds interesting there was another book there which I think may carry on from this one, hope I picked up the right one!

I've given up on The Little Friend I so badly wanted to like it but I just can't. It started off so well but the plot just goes nowhere in totally unrelated tangents it made me so frustrated.

Something Rotten I read about 70 pages but it's just not my cup of tea..

I've given up on The Little Friend I so badly wanted to like it but I just can't. It started off so well but the plot just goes nowhere in totally unrelated tangents it made me so frustrated.

Something Rotten I read about 70 pages but it's just not my cup of tea..

Paperplane, are you aware that Something Rotten is actually the fourth book in the series which begins with The Eyre Affair. I wonder if this is why it was not to your liking.:irked:

• 3 months later...

It had a promising start but I found it to be a little too self-indulgent and whingey by the end of it. Not something I'd read again.

I've decided to put aside 'We Need to Talk About Kevin', just can't get into it so instead I've started on 'Play Dead' by Harlan Corben.

• 2 months later...

Ahh! Finally I've found a book that I can't put down after having a wave of bad luck with my book selections. I'm reading the first book in the Luxe series by Anna Godberson and am really enjoying it. I ordered a whole heap of books from the Book Depository for my birthday and finally got a hold of House of Leaves which I've had a quick look through and already I can tell it's going to be one bizarre read!