Beth's Bookshelf 2010

bethany725

Here's where I'll keep up with all of my reading for 2010!

I completed approximately 48 books (give or take 1 or 2) in 2009... I know I probably won't get through quite as many this year now that I'm working again, but I hope to get through a decent number.

For this year, I want to keep with a bit more info on the books I've read, including:

Author, Title

Number of pages

Date Started, Date Completed

and of course my thoughts on most of the books I read.

I also have joined an in-person book club, so some of my reading list may go astray from my original wishlist to accommodate some of those books as well. ;)

I'll have a few posts/lists at the start of this thread:

Books I've Read (with a small section avail for Attempted Books)

Wishlist

Books I Own (some of these will overlap with the wishlist)

I'll weave in my thoughts on each book as the year progresses and I finish the books. As always, any thoughts/comments always welcome here! As Roxi learned a long time ago, you can even dance on my bookshelf if you're so inclined. (Taking a stab at risque dance is highly suggested... Keep me entertained, people.) :)

Happy reading, everyone!

Edited by bethany725

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Help - Kathryn Stockett (10/10)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows (6.5/10)

Firefly Lane - Kristin Hannah (10/10)

Copycat - Erica Spindler (8.5/10)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon (8/10)

Project Jennifer - Jill Amy Rosenblatt (8/10)

A Reliable Wife - Robert Goolrick (7.5/10)

House Rules - Jodi Picoult (8.5/10)

Heart of the Matter - Emily Giffin (9/10)

Street Blues: The Experiences of a Reluctant Policeman - Andrew Brown (8.5/10)

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane - Elizabeth Howe - (8/10)

Little Bee - Chris Cleave - (9/10)

Attempted and Gave Up:

The Forgotten Garden - Kate Riverton (I don't know what's wrong w/me.. This is clearly on me and not the book.)

Edited by bethany725

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher - Kate Summerscale

The Mom Squad - Christine Weiser (recm'd by Gyre)

Cathy Glass books

----Hidden, Damaged, and Cut (recm'd by Lexie)

Blood Ties - Sam Hayes (recm'd by Lexie)

Shadow - Karin Alvtegen

Black Boxes - Caroline Smailes

My Favourite Poison - Anna Blundy

A Great and Terrible Beauty (1st book of The Gemma Doyle Trilogy) - Libba Bray

The Sister Diaries - Karen Quinn

Sisters of the Quilt (Trilogy) - Cindy Woodsmall (1st book: "When the Heart Cries")

Schooled - Anisha Lakhani

Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders

The Book of Unholy Mischief - Elle Newmark

Girl Friday / Dune Road - Jane Green

Cause for Alarm - Erica Spindler (rec'd by Charm.. LexiePiper rec'd author also)

The Cradle Snatcher - Tess Stimson

How to Break Your Own Heart - Maggie Alderson

A Vintage Affair - Isabel Wolff

The Adultery Club - Tess Stimson

The Case of the Imaginary Detective - Karen Joy Fowler

Bringing Home the Birkin... - Michael Tonello

Twenties Girl - Sophie Kinsella

Columbine - Dave Cullen

A Lifetime Burning - Linda Gillard

The Heretic's Daughter - Kathleen Kent

The Brightest Star in the Sky - Marian Keyes

Nanny Returns - Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

The Lost Book of Salem/The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane - Katherine Howe

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls

Authors:

Anna McPartlin

Edited by bethany725

Glad to see you back around these parts, Bethany! :) Lots of great titles on your wishlist - I loved the Haddon, as well as the Sittinfeld. I have Twenties Girl on my wishlist too, and oh! I hope you get to read the Sookie books soon. They are definitely one of a kind! ;)

Dance on your bookshelves? That rings a faint bell but I don't remember the exact convo... care to refresh my memory? :D

I THINK it was you that had that convo with me when I first joined.. Something abt how comments were always welcome on my book thread, and you asked if you could even dance on it. I was like "Absolutely!" Maybe my memory is all off and it was someone else.. Either way, it was funny! ;) it was someone!!

Glad to see you back around these parts, Bethany! :) Lots of great titles on your wishlist - I loved the Haddon, as well as the Sittinfeld. I have Twenties Girl on my wishlist too, and oh! I hope you get to read the Sookie books soon. They are definitely one of a kind! :lol:

Thanks, Peace!! Let me know of you like the Kinsella when you get to it! I tried to track down the first Sookie at the library today, but no luck. Hopefully soon! :D

Ice Cold Grave - Charlaine Harris

Sookie Stackhouse series - Charlaine Harris

Cause for Alarm - Erica Spindler (rec'd by Charm.. LexiePiper rec'd author also)

I've read and loved all of these! The Graveyard Book I thought was a beautiful book (given to me by Nollaig :lol:) and Charlaine Harris writes a very entertaining story.

Cause for Alarm was actually given to me from Lexiepiper, along with In Silence and See Jane Die. I have to agree with her, great author from what I've read so far!

I really want to get my hands on this book soon, I'll be keeping an eye out for your thoughts on it :)

Happy Reading Bethany! Hope you enjoy many good books :)

I THINK it was you that had that convo with me when I first joined.. Something abt how comments were always welcome on my book thread, and you asked if you could even dance on it. I was like "Absolutely!" Maybe my memory is all off and it was someone else.. Either way, it was funny! :) it was someone!!

No it does ring a bell all right, I at least read it! :)

Nice to see you back on the forum again Bethany, where have you been hiding? I see you're in NY now, how's it treating you? I'm so jealous... :)

Sookie Stackhouse series - Charlaine Harris

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Mark Haddon

Twenties Girl - Sophie Kinsella

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

Great books on your wishlist! The last three are especially great! I do hope you enjoy all of them :lol:

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher - Kate Summerscale

A Great and Terrible Beauty (1st book of The Gemma Doyle Trilogy) - Libba Bray

A Lifetime Burning - Linda Gillard

I also have these books on my TBR/wishlist, I've heard great things about these books and I'm expecting them to be quite good. Let's hope we'll enjoy them :) Happy reading Bethany!

I've read and loved all of these! The Graveyard Book I thought was a beautiful book (given to me by Nollaig)

Happy Reading Bethany! Hope you enjoy many good books :roll:

Thank ya! I hope I enjoy, too! heehee

I have to say, I usually check most books out from the library, but I think The Graveyard Book could be worth having on my bookshelf.. Very pretty!

I loved The Eyre Affair - very funny. And THe Graveyard Book was one of my favourites from last year. Happy reading! :(

We are all in agreement on this Graveyard Book I see.. I really must get it soon. I can ask for it for my anniversary or something, I bet! Thanks, Kell!

No it does ring a bell all right, I at least read it! :D

Thank goodness.. I thought I was going crazy! You are still welcome to dance on my bookshelf though!

Nice to see you back on the forum again Bethany, where have you been hiding? I see you're in NY now, how's it treating you? I'm so jealous... :D

I also have these books on my TBR/wishlist, I've heard great things about these books and I'm expecting them to be quite good. Let's hope we'll enjoy them.

Glad to see we are sharing some common books, too, Frankie! I'll be following your thread to see how you like the ones we both will be reading.

And thanks for the welcome back -- between moving, working again, and trying to strike a work vs home balance, it's been a bit hectic! We're definitely enjoying NYC so far, and I'm loving having winter back! Don't be jealous.. Come live here too so I'll have a fellow BCF-er here. I'm trying to talk everyone into it! :lol:

Thanks everyone for all your comments.. I feel so wuv-ed!! :D

Thanks so much, Ben! The same goes to you from me. :roll:

Thank you.

I have to add that your wishlist contains some fantastic books. Let me know what you think of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. I absolutely loved it.

Thank goodness.. I thought I was going crazy! You are still welcome to dance on my bookshelf though!

Wahey! Unfortunately, I didn't like The Graveyard Book OR The Curious Incident, so maybe I should mosey quietly away... :roll::D

Well I'm glad to hear you're enjoying New York and have hopefully settled down nice and easy and have more time to spend on BCF with us :D

Don't be jealous.. Come live here too so I'll have a fellow BCF-er here. I'm trying to talk everyone into it! :D

I know!! You and peacefield have been trying to hijack Charm! :roll: How am I ever going to get to meet her if you succeed in your evil plans?? ... And don't say "by moving to NY yourself!". Because that's too tempting :D

I know!! You and peacefield have been trying to hijack Charm! :roll: How am I ever going to get to meet her if you succeed in your evil plans?? ... And don't say "by moving to NY yourself!". Because that's too tempting :D

That's a fabulous idea, Frankie! By the time Charm gets to New England I'll be there too, then you can move here! No matter where you live, all four of us will be within driving distance, see? Perfect :D.

I know!! You and peacefield have been trying to hijack Charm! :roll: How am I ever going to get to meet her if you succeed in your evil plans?? ... And don't say "by moving to NY yourself!". Because that's too tempting :lol:

That's a fabulous idea, Frankie! By the time Charm gets to New England I'll be there too, then you can move here! No matter where you live, all four of us will be within driving distance, see? Perfect :lol:.

Looks like our future is all planned out for us frankie! :lol: We may start saving!

Thanks so much, Ben! The same goes to you from me. :lol:

Thank you, I'm looking forward to trying to put a dent in my TBR pile this year. I've decided to keep my 'Bought in 2010' list empty for as long as I can. :roll:

I have to add that your wishlist contains some fantastic books. Let me know what you think of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. I absolutely loved it.

Why, thank you! I am VERY excited about my wishlist.. So fun! I've had this Mark Haddon book on my list for so long now.. I am DEFINITELY going to get it this year.

Wahey! Unfortunately, I didn't like The Graveyard Book OR The Curious Incident, so maybe I should mosey quietly away... :roll::lol:

Oh you can stay, Nolls.. You can stay! Just because I like you that much! :lol:

Frankie, Peace, & Charm -- I will eagerly await each of your arrivals! Anyone else want to come to the good ol' Northeast? We can read books and brush each other's hair... :D:lol:

Frankie, Peace, & Charm -- I will eagerly await each of your arrivals! Anyone else want to come to the good ol' Northeast? We can read books and brush each other's hair... :lol: :lol:

:lol: Do you think they'll mind us doing that in the world's largest book store there in NYC, Bethany?! I've always wanted to visit that Barnes & Noble and have been kicking myself ever since I came out there and neglected to go.

I loved the Haddon! Such an excellent book - I can't wait for you to read it :roll:.

Frankie, Peace, & Charm -- I will eagerly await each of your arrivals! Anyone else want to come to the good ol' Northeast? We can read books and brush each other's hair... :lol::lol:

May I come please? :roll: How are you at hair styling? Because I could use some help. :lol: