Charm's Choices ~ 2010

Charm

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, what a bargain! :o:D

I don't know almost all of these books, except for the Philip Pullman ones, which are really good!

Thanks lopeanha! I've never heard of a lot of them either apart from the classics and a few others including the Philip Pullman ones, but I did read the blurbs and I would say I will probably read a good lot of them. I did pick a lot for my teens too ;)

just had to pop in and say amazing haul of books :D and I also love your book bag :D

Thanks for popping in lauraloves! I got to actually use the bookbag today :D

I found a link for some other lovely book bags ;)

Skin Trade ~by~ Laurell K Hamilton

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstone's:

Anita Blake's reputation has taken some hits. Not on the work front, where she has the highest kill count of all the legal vampire executioners in the country, but on the personal front. No one seems to trust a woman who sleeps with the monsters. Still, when a vampire serial killer sends her a head from Las Vegas, Anita has to warn Sin City's local authorities what they're dealing with. Only it's worse than she thought. Several officers and one executioner have been slain -- paranormal style...Anita heads to Las Vegas, where she's joined by three other federal marshals, including the ruthless Edward hiding behind his mild-mannered persona. It's a good thing Edward always has her back, because, when she gets close to the bodies, Anita senses 'tiger' too strongly to ignore it. The were-tigers are very powerful, which means the odds of her rubbing someone important up the wrong way just got a lot higher...

Skin Trade would have to be another of my favourites in the Anita Blake vampire series. Laurell K Hamilton seems to have gotten the balance just right in this one with the crime, action and personal stuff all blending together nicely. Yet more characters introduced, but all very interesting and each one adds his or her own element to the storyline. Totally recommended!

9/10

Glad to see you enjoyed the fifth Dexter all the way! :smile2: Such an unconventional Dexter, right? I can't wait for the next Dexter either, but it's gonna take at least a year I guess because the fifth one wasn't published that long ago :blush: I already feel like re-reading it, it was so excellent and hilarious at times.

The bookbag is amazing :o Pretty!!! I want one :smile2:

Could you ask them if they would make me one of those in a booksuitcase? :blush:

Now THAT would be cool. Can you imagine? A suitcase with lots of little compartments for all the books to sit in individually, not a crease in sight! :D

(I'm gonna read all the books I've bought here AND write my thesis AND experience Australia and everything in 2 months, no worries... :giggle2:)

Uh-huh :rolleyes: .. of course you are luv :giggle2:

I love your bookbag, how romantic .. he bought you the thing he knew you'd really like, that's so sweet.

Thanks! :D He doesn't understand my obsession with books cause he's not a reader, but he knows that my books are important to me! :D

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstone's:

Grace is fascinated by the wolves in the woods behind her house; one yellow-eyed wolf in particular. Every winter, she watches him but every summer, he disappears. Sam leads two lives. In winter, he stays in the frozen woods, with the protection of the pack. In summer, he has a few precious months to be human ...until the cold makes him shift back again. When Grace and Sam finally meet, they realize they can't bear to be apart. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human - or risk losing himself, and Grace, for ever.

It took me a while to get into this book and to be honest for the the first half of it, I just wanted to get through it so I could move on. The second half however was great! I whizzed through it, there was a lot more going on and the ending was a delight. I loved the two main characters and how they developed and I'm now looking forward to reading the next in the series. :D

8/10

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Grace is fascinated by the wolves in the woods behind her house; one yellow-eyed wolf in particular. Every winter, she watches him but every summer, he disappears. Sam leads two lives. In winter, he stays in the frozen woods, with the protection of the pack. In summer, he has a few precious months to be human ...until the cold makes him shift back again. When Grace and Sam finally meet, they realize they can't bear to be apart. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human - or risk losing himself, and Grace, for ever.

It took me a while to get into this book and to be honest for the the first half of it, I just wanted to get through it so I could move on. The second half however was great! I whizzed through it, there was a lot more going on and the ending was a delight. I loved the two main characters and how they developed and I'm now looking forward to reading the next in the series. :D

8/10

Great review Charm, I was the same with 'Shiver' but as we both found, it was good to hang on in there, you are going to love 'Linger' hen :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lost Souls ~by~ Poppy Z Brite

Sex, blood and rock'n'roll - presented here from the master of gothic horror. At a club in Missing Mile, just outside New Orleans, the children of the night gather. They dress in black and they're looking for acceptance. There's Ghost, who sees what others do not; Ann, looking for love; and Jason, whose real name is Nothing, seeking the deathless truth about his father - and himself. But into Missing Mile tonight come three beautiful, hip vagabonds: Molochai, Twig and seductive, green-eyed Zillah. They are on their own lost journey, slaking their ancient thirst for blood, aching for supple young flesh. In Nothing and Ann they find it. Now Ghost must pursue them all. To save Ann from her new friends, to save Nothing from himself. First published in the early 90s, "Lost Souls" redefined the vampire novel for a new generation and remains unsurpassed in its dark wit, graphic descriptions and its power to send shivers of panic and pleasure down your spine...

I was looking forward to reading this so much that it was a bit of a let down when I didn't get drawn into it straight away. The story is told from the perspective of several of the characters and while it was easy to follow, it just didn't hold my interest as much as I'd hoped. This is supposed to be a disturbing read but what I find disturbing is the fact that it didn't disturb me at all! :blush: If you are squeamish be aware, it does include sexual content (including incest) and violence along with the usual spatterings of gory murders. I did like the character Ghost, however I found myself wanting to either slap or give the others a good shake. The storyline was a bit slow and although I wouldn't say it was a bad read, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped for.

6/10

Linger ~by~ Maggie Stiefvater

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstone's:

In "Shiver", Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in "Linger", they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping dangerous secrets. For Sam, it means grappling with his werewolf past ...and figuring out a way to survive the future. But just when they manage to find happiness, Grace finds herself changing in ways she could never have expected...

It took me a while to get into the prequel of this, 'Shiver', but once I did I loved it and was really looking forward to 'Linger'. Needless to say it didn't disappoint. The story picked up straight where it left off in 'Shiver' and the plot this time concentrated more on Grace and the changes she was going through. There were several new characters introduced and we were able to get to know some of the more secondary characters from the previous book (I'm really liking Isobel now!) . The main characters of Sam and Grace developed even more and I enjoyed how their relationship maturing.

A great read both for young adults and older ones alike. I am so looking forward to 'Forever'!

9/10

Awww, too bad you didn't enjoy Lost Souls, Charm :friends0: I know you were really looking forward to reading it and thus the disappointment must've been all the more bigger. :(

Thanks frankie :hug: It wasn't so much that I didn't enjoy it, it was ok, it just wasn't as good as I was expecting I guess :dunno: