Charm's Choices ~ 2010

Charm

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw Charm, you are such a wee gem :D

Why thank you! :D You're makin me blush now :D

I'm sooooo tempted.... But I have too many books to read! I haven't even read The Lost Book of Salem yet :D

No worries, if you change your mind just let me know and I can leave your name to the very end if you like :lol:

thank you Shin! You could add it to your wishlist or just join the bookring! :D Either way, I hope you enjoy it :D

Oh, I think I will do that. I love the idea of a book traveling. :D

• 1 month later...

Ok, thought I'd pop on and update this as I haven't been on in what seems like ages :) Truth be told, I haven't been too well and haven't felt much up to anything, including reading :lol: Soooo... just a quick update on all that I've read since my last thoughts.

The Resurrectionists by James Bradley - I've semi abandoned this ... well ... let's just say it has been put in my bedside table for nighttime reading as it's pretty boring to be honest and helps me get to sleep :)

Dead After Dark by Sherrilyn Kenyon, J R Ward, Susan Squires & Diana Love - A collection of supernatural short stories which I picked up in a charity shop. A bit of non-thinking reading material which helped keep my mojo interested. 6/10

Covet: A Novel Of The Fallen Angels by J R Ward - A book by the same author who wrote The Black Dagger Brotherhood series which I loved. This time about angels with overlapping references to the Brotherhood series. Not just as good, but I still enjoyed it all the same. 8/10

The Vampire's Seduction by Raven Hart - I've been trying to get my hands on this for ages and I'm glad I did. Really enjoyable with interesting and likeable characters. I will definately be getting the next in the series. 8/10

Fantasy Lover - Sherrilyn Kenyon - This is the first in a huge series of books. It wasn't bad, it kept my mojo here and I will probably by the next in the series to see how it goes, again nothing too taxing. 7/10

Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter) by Laurell K Hamilton - I really enjoyed this. I think the character of Anita will need a bit of getting used to but an entertaining read where vampires are mainstream and zombies are raised on a regular basis (these zombies I can handle ... just about :D). 9/10

Needless to say, my book buying has been as present as ever, as you can see from my updated opening posts, although in my defense, the charity shops in my area are amazing for great titles! :lol:

I hope everyone is well and I'd just like to say sorry for not keeping in touch as well as I should! :lol:

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well, Charm! I hope you'll be on the mend soon :). Great reviews too, and I do have Guilty Pleasures on my shelf to be read soon so I'm looking forward to it :lol:.

Sorry you haven't been feeling well Charm but glad you are back. I really need to look into those Guilty Pleasure books. I have heard about them and I even think I have them in my Amazon wishlist for a while.

So I've heard, Charm! But really, the world cannot have too many series of vampire books, am I right?!

Mucho :friends0: to you and sparkly good vibes my friend!

:lol: Loving those sparkly vibes! Feeling better already my friend! ;)

Sorry you haven't been feeling well Charm but glad you are back. I really need to look into those Guilty Pleasure books. I have heard about them and I even think I have them in my Amazon wishlist for a while.

thank you Shin :hug: Do check out Guilty Pleasures, I was pleasantly surprised :D

Sorry you have not been feeling well hen, we are all thinking of you

thank you Weave :hug: It's nice to know hun.

Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter) by Laurell K Hamilton - I really enjoyed this. I think the character of Anita will need a bit of getting used to but an entertaining read where vampires are mainstream and zombies are raised on a regular basis (these zombies I can handle ... just about :friends0:). 9/10

I've put a reservation in at the library for this one, so can't wait for it to arrive now!

I've put a reservation in at the library for this one, so can't wait for it to arrive now!

Oh I hope you like it! Like I said, Anita takes a bit of getting used to, but quite and entertaining read otherwise with some interesting characters. :friends0:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Esther, just wanted to let you know I got my preorder of Lover Mine this morning, almost 2 weeks early :D Started it already - so far it's pretty good and it's nice reading more about John Matthew!

Hey Esther, just wanted to let you know I got my preorder of Lover Mine this morning, almost 2 weeks early Started it already - so far it's pretty good and it's nice reading more about John Matthew!

Two weeks early?? :eek: Jealous! You lucky thing! I haven't ordered it yet, I didn't think there would be any point cause it wasn't out yet ;) But that's excellent news, thanks for this!

I did start my best friend on the series and she's read the first two since Thurs, she's completely hooked! :lol: I dare say she'll be on to amazon ordering the last few, so I'll get her to order an extra Lover Mine for me too ;) I've just literally placed a rather large order! :irked:

So pleased you're enjoying it Fi, can't wait to get my copy now! :exc:

Practical Magic ~by~ Alice Hoffman

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstone's:

A tale of two sisters, Gillian and Sally Owens, brought up by their two elderly guardian aunts in a world of spells and exotica. As the magical charm of their childhood wears away, they escape from this mystical mayhem - one by running away, the other by marrying. Many years go by before strange circumstances thrust them together again, and once more they are in a place that blends the mundane and mysterious, the familiar and fantastic, the normal and the numinous. Three generations of Owens women are brought together in an experience of unexpected insight and revelation, teaching all of them that such perceptions are rare and wonderful and - to be sure - practical.

I loved the film version of this book, so I decided to have a go at reading it, since it has been so long since I watched it. The storyline differs quite a bit from the film version, although the basic skeleton is there, and I found myself not liking some of the main characters I had liked before. Having said that it was still an entertaining read, moved along nicely and kept me interested to the end, which did tidy up rather a bit too easily :irked:

7/10

About halfway through now LM and it's good, going to try and finish it later but real life is calling :irked:

I meant to tell you about another author you have to try - if you haven't already! Nalini Singh, I think she's from New zealand but I've just read the first two books from two series she's written. You absolutely have to try Angel's Blood which is the first in the Guild Hunter series (there's two books so far, the second is Archangel's Kiss) and if you like that try her Psy-Changeling series ;)

Great review of Practical magic, I love the book nearly as much as the film but I'd read the book first so that could be why.

About halfway through now LM and it's good, going to try and finish it later but real life is calling :lol:

I meant to tell you about another author you have to try - if you haven't already! Nalini Singh, I think she's from New zealand but I've just read the first two books from two series she's written. You absolutely have to try Angel's Blood which is the first in the Guild Hunter series (there's two books so far, the second is Archangel's Kiss) and if you like that try her Psy-Changeling series :exc:

Great review of Practical magic, I love the book nearly as much as the film but I'd read the book first so that could be why.

Thanks for this Fi! ;) I looked these books up and they do look pretty good. I've just started 3, yes I know ;), 3 more vampire series. The Anita Blake ones by Laurell K Hamilton, the Raven Hart series and the Sherrilyn Kenyon dark hunter series .. oh and the Betsy queen of the vampire series too (that's 4 isn't it :irked:)! I dare say I will get fed up with vamps soon but at the min I'm loving the supe world and can't get into anything else! :eek: Escapism at it's best!

You can't beat a bit of escapism! I think the only series I've not tried in the ones you mention are the Raven Hart books so I've just ordered the first one :irked:;) I'm surprised I'm not sick of vamps yet but I think that's why I liked the Singh Guild Hunter books as they're not just straight vampire novels.

You can't beat a bit of escapism! I think the only series I've not tried in the ones you mention are the Raven Hart books so I've just ordered the first one ;):lol: I'm surprised I'm not sick of vamps yet but I think that's why I liked the Singh Guild Hunter books as they're not just straight vampire novels.

Exactly, it's nice to have a mix of supes in the story. What did you think of the Sherrilyn Kenyon series? I've just ordered the next two of the Anita Blake series and the next two Raven Hart ones, I enjoyed the first of those.

Oh oh ..Did I tell you I read Covet? :irked: I did like it, not as good as the BDB series of course, but still a good read. I liked the way the author crossed over between the two, I mean the main character literally bumped into Phury at the centre! :eek: Great stuff! I'll definately be getting Crave :exc:

I am shamelessly addicted to the Dark Hunter books, I've read them all except the last book & thoroughly enjoyed every one :lol:

Glad you enjoyed Covet, I liked it too - not as much as BDB but I think that's maybe because we've had more time to get to know all the characters in the Brotherhood. I've already pre-ordered Crave ;):irked: It'll be interesting to see how many books she's planning in this series!

I picked up Guilty Pleasures from the library on Friday, so should be making a start on it sometime this week ;)

I'll be interested to see what you think of Anita, it took me a while to get used to her. I've ordered the next ones though :irked: I hope you enjoy it :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

It's been way too long since I posted my thoughts on the books I've been reading and I've read quite a few. So, rather than do an individual post on each book, I've decided to just write a few lines on each one. Lazy I know :D, but better than nothing!

Nightswallow ~by~ Bronwyn Winter Phoenix

Blurb:

"Night Swallow is dead. A former travel journalist, she lost herself in beautiful worlds far from the London apartment where she was murdered. Following a series of dark events on an isolated island, she must face her death as she is forced to learn the ways of the spirits around her. As things start to spiral out of control, she is sucked deeper into a world she no longer recognises to battle the unstoppable force she uncovered on her travels. With help from mesmerising spirits along the way