Charm's Choices ~ 2010

Charm

Fallen is a book I have seen around. I was really tempted to buy it in boarder but was double the price of the one I bought (Vampire Kisses) I think it will pick it up at some point especially as it seems like it is the beginning of a series.

Thanks Charm.

Thanks cw :D I hope you enjoy it more than I did. I just feel that I invested that much time in reading this installment, that now I want to know what happens next. Hopefully it's just a case of 'first of a series syndrome' where it's basically an introduction before the series continues, if you know what I mean :(

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you're reading Heretic's Daughter, Charm, yay!! :D I'm hoping to get this one soon - you'll have to let me know what you think.

I am indeed :D, started it last night. I read a whole 5 pages, then fell asleep :lol: I haven't had a chance to read yet today, but I'll keep you posted :D

Happy reading Charm :D

thank you hun! Hurry up and join me on this one :)

Gosh Charm, you have read alot of books so far.

How do you do it? :lol:

Thanks! :D When my mojo is good, I seem to fly through books and take full advantage of it, but I think I overdo it sometimes and 'drain it dry' so to speak. It's actually waning a bit at the min, I think it's tired! :D

Thanks! :) When my mojo is good, I seem to fly through books and take full advantage of it, but I think I overdo it sometimes and 'drain it dry' so to speak. It's actually waning a bit at the min, I think it's tired! :)

Happy reading Charm, I am finally about to start 'The Heretic's Daughter' :D

I went to the charity shops again today and came home with:

Breakneck by Erica Spindler

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Breakneck was on my wishlist and it's a brilliant copy, almost like new, result! Just need to get Copycat by the same author first :friends0:

I went to the charity shops again today and came home with:

Breakneck by Erica Spindler

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Breakneck was on my wishlist and it's a brilliant copy, almost like new, result! Just need to get Copycat by the same author first :friends0:

Great buys Charm, well done :D

Yeah for charity shops. :D

Don't let me put you off The Lovely Bones. I really did enjoy it. It was a hard read in terms of what happens to the little girl but a lovely written book. I will do up my review tomorrow so you can have a read. :D

The Heretic's Daughter ~by~ Kathleen Kent

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstone's:

Martha Carrier was hanged on August 19th, 1692 in Salem, Massachusetts, unyielding in her refusal to admit to being a witch, going to her death rather than joining the ranks of men and women who confessed and were thereby spared execution. Like her mother, young Sarah Carrier is bright and wilful, openly challenging the small, brutal world in which they live. In this startling novel, she narrates the story of her early life in Andover, near Salem. Her father is a farmer, English in origin, quietly stoical but with a secret history. Her mother is a herbalist, tough but loving, and above all a good mother. Often at odds with each other, Sarah and her mother have a close but also cold relationship, yet it is clear that Martha understands her daughter like no other. When Martha is accused of witchcraft, and the whisperings in the community escalate, she makes her daughter promise not to stand up for her if the case is taken to court. As Sarah and her brothers are hauled into the prison themselves, the vicious cruelty of the trials is apparent, as the Carrier family, along with other innocents, are starved and deprived of any decency, battling their way through the hysteria with the sheer willpower their mother has taught them.

My thoughts:

This story is set in 1692 during the hysteria of the Salem witch trials and told from a child's point of view. It is a raw glimpse into a time when a slipped comment or an act of help could be misconstrued into being something more sinister. I found it to be quite a harrowing read, stirring up a mix of emotions from anger about the way the family were treated to sadness when it seemed things couldn't get any worse for young Sarah. It is definately a book which will stay with me for some time.

The relationship between mother and daughter was a strange one, not your typical love and hugs type, more cold than that, but still strong in that Martha Carrier knew her daughter extremely well and so hardened and prepared her as best she could to the hardships of life, while still developing an unspoken loving bond. As young Sarah learned in the end, she was definately 'her mother's daughter'. It never ceased to amaze me how independant and strong in spirit a child could be, she was resilient and adaptable to each and every situation she was placed in, right up until the point where she was imprisoned and even then, being protective of her family.

I loved how the story was written, the author (a tenth-generation descendant of Martha Carrier) manages to create the atmosphere wonderfully, with a swift moving plot and an abundant blend of betrayal and secrets.

If you are in any way interested in the Salem witch trials, I would definately recommend this. It's a well researched, facinating, historical read of the true horrors which were bestowed upon many innocent souls.

9/10

Yeah for charity shops. :D

Don't let me put you off The Lovely Bones. I really did enjoy it. It was a hard read in terms of what happens to the little girl but a lovely written book. I will do up my review tomorrow so you can have a read. :D

Oh you haven't put me off, I'm actually considering reading it next :D I'll be looking out for you review! :D

Great review Charm, well done, I enjoyed reading it and the book. :D

Can I ask you a wee question? :D

How did you feel about the accusers and the judges not being made accountable? I felt they should have at least answered for everything for what they did. I know Ann Putnam Jnr apologised for her part.

From Wikipedia (I hope you don't mind me posting it here)

I desire to be humbled before God for that sad and humbling providence that befell my father's family in the year about ninety-two; that I, then being in my childhood, should, by such a providence of God, be made an instrument for the accusing of several persons of a grievous crime, whereby their lives were taken away from them, whom, now I have just grounds and good reason to believe they were innocent persons; and that it was a great delusion of Satan that deceived me in that sad time, whereby I justly fear I have been instrumental, with others, though ignorantly and unwittingly, to bring upon myself and this land the guilt of innocent blood; though, what was said or done by me against any person, I can truly and uprightly say, before God and man, I did it not out of any anger, malice, or ill will to any person, for I had no such thing against one of them; but what I did was ignorantly, being deluded by Satan.

And particularly, as I was a chief instrument of accusing Goodwife Nurse and her two sisters, I desire to lie in the dust, and to be humble for it, in that I was a cause, with others, of so sad a calamity to them and their families; for which cause I desire to lie in the dust, and earnestly beg forgiveness of God, and from all those unto whom I have given just cause of sorrow and offense, whose relations were taken away or accused.

Great review Charm, well done, I enjoyed reading it and the book. :D

Why thank you! :D

How did you feel about the accusers and the judges not being made accountable? I felt they should have at least answered for everything for what they did. I know Ann Putnam Jnr apologised for her part.

I thought it despicable that they weren't made accountable for their actions. I mean they murdered innocent men, women and children for heavens sake, on the strength of heresay and superstition. They even charged them for the privilege of putting them in shackles! Not to mention taking and selling all their worldly possessions.

[ but what I did was ignorantly, being deluded by Satan.

Call me cynical, but this is just too convenient an excuse for me :D

Why thank you! :D

I thought it despicable that they weren't made accountable for their actions. I mean they murdered innocent men, women and children for heavens sake, on the strength of heresay and superstition. They even charged them for the privilege of putting them in shackles! Not to mention taking and selling all their worldly possessions.

Call me cynical, but this is just too convenient an excuse for me :D

Oh totally hen! I :D my eyes too :D

Excellent review of Heretic's Daughter, Charm!! :D I am so buying this book this weekend :D.

Great review Charm! Oh boy, oh boy, I wanna buy the book... but shouldn't really... :D

thank you both! :D It was really good. I've started a bookring if you're interested, I'll post anywhere :D

Fantastic review Charm! I've looked at picking this one up before and I'm just off to check my shelves to see if I have a copy of it. If not, I may take you up on the bookring!

Thanks Lilywhite! :D It would be my pleasure to add your name to the bookring.

Great review of The Heretic's Daughter, Charm.

I think I might put this on my ever expanding wishlist. :D

thank you Shin! You could add it to your wishlist or just join the bookring! :D Either way, I hope you enjoy it :D

Thanks Lilywhite! :D It would be my pleasure to add your name to the bookring.

thank you Shin! You could add it to your wishlist or just join the bookring! :D Either way, I hope you enjoy it :D

Aw Charm, you are such a wee gem :D