Charm's Choices ~ 2010

Charm

Oh Manfred was lovely wasn't he? in another time or place, I could see him and Harper being a couple :lol:

I thought it was a nice touch with Iona

with her pregnancy

;)

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Manfred was lovely wasn't he? in another time or place, I could see him and Harper being a couple ;)

Oh I think so too! :lol:

I thought it was a nice touch with Iona

with her pregnancy

:roll:

It was a lovely touch, totally unnecessary while adding a lot. It actually helped me to come around to liking Iona,

her and hank both appeared much better in this book, really genuinely loving the girls and the fact that they still wanted Gracie was brilliant!

I was so pleased :)

It gave a lot to the story, up until the point you meet Hank and Iona you get the impression that they are not that nice but as you get to know them, you realise why, they want to protect the girls and it was nice about Gracie. :lol:

Forever Odd ~by~ Dean Koontz

The is the 2nd book in the Odd Thomas series.

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstone's:

Odd Thomas, that unlikely hero, once more stands between us and our worst fears. Odd never asked to communicate with the dead -- they sought him out. As the unofficial goodwill ambassador between our world and theirs, he has a duty to do the right thing. That's the way Odd sees it, and that's why he has already won over hearts on both sides of the great divide. For though Odd lives in the small desert town of Pico Mundo, he stands between two worlds, and for him the heroic and the harrowing are everyday occurrences. A childhood friend of Odd's has disappeared and the worst is feared. But as Odd applies his unique talents to the task of finding the missing person, he discovers something worse than a dead body. New allies and new enemies gather around Odd, some living and some not. But the enemy he encounters is unspeakably cunning, and every sacrifice is needed to tip the balance between despair and hope as a life-changing revelation rushes towards us. In the battle to come, there can be no innocent bystanders.

My thoughts:

Odd Thomas can see dead people. Not only can he see them but they come to him for help with either finding who killed them or getting help to move on to what Odd calls the 'service' life, you know, the one after our 'boot camp' life. When the father of an old friend appears to Odd in the middle of the night, Odd realises he needs help, considering the man was alive and kicking up until that point. Odd heads off to his old friend's house only to discover a scene of savage murder and his dear friend missing. An alarming phone call from a mysterious woman alerts Odd to the fact that he alone must use his unique talent to try to help find his friend, before anything happens to him.

I adore Odd Thomas! He is such a simple, kind, generous, smart, loyal and loving human being. He holds no airs and graces and with a profound modesty he manages to see straight to the heart of the matter and just gets the job done. It is no wonder he is loved by all those around him. This time sees he has to embark on his life saving mission alone, without his beloved Stormy.

The first half of the storyline is him using his magnetism talent to find his kidnapped friend which means most of the time he is on his own. I found this really strange and it was almost half way through the book before he met up with anyone else. That's not to say nothing happened, the story still had its fair share of jumps and action with the usual dark and creepy atmosphere. It was a bit slower for me but it still ended up being every bit as good as the previous book.

If you like a thriller with a supernatural twist I definately recommend you check out Odd Thomas, such a wonderful character!

8/10

Great review Charm, brilliant! you described Odd perfectly :)

Thanks Weave :D I think Odd is adorable, such a lovely character from the pen of a horror writer too! Definately not what I expected from Mr Koontz.

Thanks Weave :welcome: I think Odd is adorable, such a lovely character from the pen of a horror writer too! Definately not what I expected from Mr Koontz.

I agree Charm, its a pleasant surprise :)

• 2 weeks later...
Charm!! I just noticed in the Book Activity Today -thread that you've already read 15 books this year?! And I thought your mojo is still doing a couple of AWOLs per week. Wow, I'm impressed :D

Thanks ;) It was the J R Ward series that did it I think, and big books at that, the biggest was over 700 pages!

Wow, I wish my mojo would go AWOL like that! :lol:

thank you :) I think it truly is getting fed up again now though :censored:

I really need to update this thread, I've read about 8 books since Odd Thomas :censored:

Thanks ;) It was the J R Ward series that did it I think, and big books at that, the biggest was over 700 pages!

The J R Ward books kick-started my mojo when it completely disappeared in July 2008, I was in a state of panic so my friend lent me the first one and bam, my mojo was back with a vengeance :censored:

The J R Ward books kick-started my mojo when it completely disappeared in July 2008, I was in a state of panic so my friend lent me the first one and bam, my mojo was back with a vengeance :censored:

I have to say, I really enjoyed them! ;) They seemed to get better as the books went on too although I think there was one that was a little OTT with the adult content and not enough of the fighting. I can't wait for Lover Mine to come out now! :censored:

I did too ;) I definitely know which book you're on about with over-abundance of adultness, I remember thinking the same thing! Looking forward to Love Mine too, only got to wait til May :censored:

If you liked BDB you should try the new series she's just started - Covet, the first book, is out now and Crave comes out in October :censored:

I did too ;) I definitely know which book you're on about with over-abundance of adultness, I remember thinking the same thing! Looking forward to Love Mine too, only got to wait til May :censored:

If you liked BDB you should try the new series she's just started - Covet, the first book, is out now and Crave comes out in October :lol:

I will definately be getting my hands on Covet, it wouldn't happen to be about a certain fallen angel would it? (I loved Lassiter's character :censored:) or maybe something similar?

:censored: Not telling! I loved it and I'm really peeved that i have to wait til October for the next one!

:censored: No fair! I'll definately be buying it in my next book order :lol: Have you read any Laurell K Hamilton? I believe 'Guilty Pleasures' by her is supposed to be good, it's on my list ;)

I've read all of hers, unsurprisingly ;) The early Anita Blake books are good, around book 10 they start to get a bit rubbish, 11 to 15 are way OTT with the smut & the multiple supernatural boyfriends (never mind a love triangle, the woman has a love decagon :censored: ) but the last couple have improved slightly. I just got book 18, Flirt, the other day. She also has the Merry Gentry series about Faerie, heavy on the smut but not quite as dodgy as Anita Blake :censored:

Excellent job on all the books read so far, Charm! ;)

I just got Guilty Pleasures for a birthday present last night and I'm excited to read it. A friend of mine who I turned on to Kelley Armstrong bought it for me - yet another series to read! Are they all about vampires, Fi?

I've read all of hers, unsurprisingly :censored: The early Anita Blake books are good, around book 10 they start to get a bit rubbish, 11 to 15 are way OTT with the smut & the multiple supernatural boyfriends (never mind a love triangle, the woman has a love decagon :lol: ) but the last couple have improved slightly. I just got book 18, Flirt, the other day. She also has the Merry Gentry series about Faerie, heavy on the smut but not quite as dodgy as Anita Blake

You're right, it's not surprising you've read them :) They do sound worth a read though.

Excellent job on all the books read so far, Charm! ;)

Thanks peacefield! I've quite a bit of catching up to do on this thread though :censored:

Vampires, weres, fairies - you name it, it pops up somewhere!

Definately gonna read em :D

Bone Cold by Erica Spindler

Synopsis Courtesy of Amazon:

Twenty-three years after surviving an encounter with a psychopath who abducted her, cut off her pinkie finger, and vanished, Anna North lives quietly in New Orleans, writing thrillers under a pseudonym, until threatening letters, the disappearance of a friend, and a bizarre murder force Anna to confront her past, with the help of homicide detective

My thoughts:

Anna North escaped from a kidnapping by a psychopath who cut off her pinkie finger. Taking on a new identity, the beautiful red-head lives happily as an up and coming author and part time florist, working for her two best friends in New Orleans. Then the murders start. All of which are red-heads and have their pinkie removed. Coincidence? Can Anna really afford to believe that ...

So far I haven't been disappointed by any of this author's novels. This is another one which had me hooked from the start and unfolded as a gripping read to a fantastic ending. I found the main characters to be believable and likeable, with each one being well written into the storyline. The plot moved along swiftly with plenty of suprises and events to keep me interested. The only downside was, I guessed the killer before it was revealed although this didn't spoil the book for me at all.

Another brilliant thriller from Erica Spindler which I would recommend.

8/10

:D Not telling! I loved it and I'm really peeved that i have to wait til October for the next one!

Did you enjoy it, I did but I definitely prefer the Brotherhood series, something about the Vamps...shiver and Phwar at the same time. The next one is on Order, infact both are Crave and Brother mine..can't wait!

I did enjoy it, having read BDB first I like them more but it was still good! Can't wait for Lover Mine, just checked and the release date has been pushed forward to April 29th :D

I did enjoy it, having read BDB first I like them more but it was still good! Can't wait for Lover Mine, just checked and the release date has been pushed forward to April 29th :lol:

Have you been on the J R Ward website? There are interviews with each of the brothers along with snippets of their daily life! :ditto: Incredible, I love it! :lol: