Charm

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's already been used in Feb 2006

Well, well, well, it should be used again because I wasn't here then. :D

Aw me neither! :jump:

Oh well, never mind, I'm sure there's a thread on it where we can discuss it anyway, if we're reading it at the same time :D

Thanks for the heads up chesil :roll:

I have The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent on my tbr pile, we should try to read it at the same time (if you want to, of course:D).

I have The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent on my tbr pile, we should try to read it at the same time (if you want to, of course:D).

Absolutely! I want to read Dead and Unwed after my current read but no idea what after that. Let me know when your on to it :blush:

The Labyrinth thread is still open for further discussion here :lol:

I expect there are many members who've read it since it was last posted in. :lol:

Oh thanks for that Janet! I'll check it out and dip into it when I'm reading it.

Couldn't you have an independent mini reading circle of your own? Why not? :lol:

Charm, bless you for buying both copies, you charitable person! And I've already said this but I'll say it again: So jealous that you've already purchased The Heretic's Daughter! Happy reading :)

Charm, bless you for buying both copies, you charitable person!

Charm ~ you are a gem :lol:

Aw thank you both, I have no doubt the two of you would have done the same thing :)

Couldn't you have an independent mini reading circle of your own? Why not? :D

Good idea, but if we are all reading it together we can just make use of the existing thread, same thing really? :lol: Might as well :D

Good idea, but if we are all reading it together we can just make use of the existing thread, same thing really? :) Might as well :D

That's kinda what I meant, but just everyone read it at the same time :D I didn't know people were coincidentally reading it at the same time already :lol:

That's kinda what I meant, but just everyone read it at the same time :lol: I didn't know people were coincidentally reading it at the same time already :lol:

Oh sorry! :D I thought you meant start up our own thread or something!:) I don't know anyone who is reading at the min, we are talking about the same book right? Labyrinth? :D

Oh sorry! :D I thought you meant start up our own thread or something!:lol: I don't know anyone who is reading at the min, we are talking about the same book right? Labyrinth? :)

Yeah Labyrinth! Oh shoot I guess I've read something wrong, never you mind about my comments ;)

The Vanished Man ~by~ Jeffery Deaver

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstone's:

A killer flees the scene of a homicide at a prestigious Manhattan music school and locks himself in a classroom. Within minutes, the police have him surrounded. Then a scream rings out, followed by a gunshot. The police break down the door. The room is empty. Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are brought in to help with the high-profile investigation. For the ambitious Sachs, solving the case could earn her a promotion. For the quadriplegic Rhyme, it means relying on his protege to ferret out a master illusionist they've dubbed the conjurer, who baits them with gruesome murders that become more diabolical with each fresh crime. As the fatalities rise and the minutes tick down, Rhyme and Sachs must move beyond the smoke and mirrors to prevent a terrifying act of vengeance that could become the greatest vanishing act of all.

My thoughts:

Another bizarre case for the criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and his partner Amelia Sachs. This time finds the pair up against not just a murderer, but a master of illusion and magic who leads them along a path of sleight of hand and disguise. Rhyme and Sachs have to rethink their whole method of following clues and are soon learning the art of misdirection and illusion the hard way ..

This is a marvellous thriller which centres around the world of magic and trickery. It is written in Jeffery Deaver

I have never read any Jeffrey Deaver Charm but reviews are always so good, which book should I start with? :D

Great review ~ as always :lol:

Thanks Weave :D

I would defintately start with The Bone Collector (you may have seen the film), it is the start of the series and introduces all the main characters. It's fast paced, pretty gruesome and pulls you in from the very start :lol:

Undead And Unwed ~by~ MaryJanice Davidson

Synopsis Courtesy Of Waterstone's:

It's been a hell of a week for Betsy Taylor. First she loses her job. Then she's killed in a freak accident only to wake up in a morgue to discover she's a vampire. On the plus side, being undead sure beats the alternative. She now has superhuman strength and an unnatural effect on the opposite sex. But what Betsy can't handle is her new liquid diet...And whilst her mother and best-friend are just relieved to find out that being dead doesn't mean Betsy's can't visit, her new 'night-time' friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen. The scrumptious Sinclair and his cohorts want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious power-hungry vampire in five centuries. (A Bella Lugosi wannabe who's seen one to many B-movies.) Frankly Betsy couldn't care less about vamp politics. But Sinclair and his followers have a powerful weapon in their arsenal - unlimited access to Manolo Blahnik's Spring collection. Well, just because a girl's dead - er undead - doesn't mean she can't have great shoes...

My thoughts:

Betsy Taylor is an ordinary girl with a love of shoes and fashion, who gets killed in a car accident and awakens in a morgue to discover she's a vampire. It's not all bad, she loves her new superhuman powers with the only drawbacks being her new liquid diet and the fact that some of her new friends think she's the foretold queen who has come to get rid of the evil Nostro. Quite frankly, Queen Betsy would far rather check out the latest sales as start a fight with a fashion challenged old vamp!

I really enjoyed this book. It's light, witty and full of oneliners. Betsy's character is likeable as are her friends. The plot moves along at a steady pace with nothing too taxing to have to think about. There is a good bit of adult content so it's most definately not a young adult book but if you want a quick, fun, read along the lines of Sex In The City with vampires, you might enjoy this.

The only drawbacks I found were, the plot was a bit predicatable and some sections seemed to drag on a little bit where it wasn't needed. Having said that, I do find myself wanting to read the rest of the series to find out how the characters progress and how Betsy copes with being the Queen of the Block!

8/10

Undead And Unwed ~by~ MaryJanice Davidson

Synopsis Courtesy Of Waterstone's:

It's been a hell of a week for Betsy Taylor. First she loses her job. Then she's killed in a freak accident only to wake up in a morgue to discover she's a vampire. On the plus side, being undead sure beats the alternative. She now has superhuman strength and an unnatural effect on the opposite sex. But what Betsy can't handle is her new liquid diet...And whilst her mother and best-friend are just relieved to find out that being dead doesn't mean Betsy's can't visit, her new 'night-time' friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen. The scrumptious Sinclair and his cohorts want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious power-hungry vampire in five centuries. (A Bella Lugosi wannabe who's seen one to many B-movies.) Frankly Betsy couldn't care less about vamp politics. But Sinclair and his followers have a powerful weapon in their arsenal - unlimited access to Manolo Blahnik's Spring collection. Well, just because a girl's dead - er undead - doesn't mean she can't have great shoes...

My thoughts:

Betsy Taylor is an ordinary girl with a love of shoes and fashion, who gets killed in a car accident and awakens in a morgue to discover she's a vampire. It's not all bad, she loves her new superhuman powers with the only drawbacks being her new liquid diet and the fact that some of her new friends think she's the foretold queen who has come to get rid of the evil Nostro. Quite frankly, Queen Betsy would far rather check out the latest sales as start a fight with a fashion challenged old vamp!

I really enjoyed this book. It's light, witty and full of oneliners. Betsy's character is likeable as are her friends. The plot moves along at a steady pace with nothing too taxing to have to think about. There is a good bit of adult content so it's most definately not a young adult book but if you want a quick, fun, read along the lines of Sex In The City with vampires, you might enjoy this.

The only drawbacks I found were, the plot was a bit predicatable and some sections seemed to drag on a little bit where it wasn't needed. Having said that, I do find myself wanting to read the rest of the series to find out how the characters progress and how Betsy copes with being the Queen of the Block!

8/10

Oh no Sex and the City style does not sound too good to me, I hate that sort of thing :lol:

Hi Charm, Happy New Year to you.

Just reading through your reviews and definitely will be putting some of your reads onto my wishlist. Really liking the sound of Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson. So the whole series is on my wishlist already. :friends0:

Oh no Sex and the City style does not sound too good to me, I hate that sort of thing

Oh I hope I haven't put you off! :censored: If it's any consolation, I didn't watch SITC either, couldn't stand it tbh. It's a short read, so why not give it a go since you have it anyway!

Another great review and I will definitely borrow 'The Bone Collector' from my sister

Please do, I think you might enjoy it :)

Hi Charm, Happy New Year to you.

Just reading through your reviews and definitely will be putting some of your reads onto my wishlist. Really liking the sound of Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson. So the whole series is on my wishlist already.

Hey Shin! Bout ye! Happy New Year back at ya hun :friends0:

thank you! Glad you're finding something interesting here, I know a couple of other members who've also read and enjoyed the Undead series and I hope you do too. :)

Hey Charm, hope you're okay. :friends0: I have added The Bone Collector to my wishlist, as the one that you wonderfully reviewed sounded very good.

Thanks Ben! :censored: Jeffery Deaver does tell a good yarn and he does it very well, I hope you enjoy it, I'm sure you will. :)