Jessi's Reading List - 2010

Jessi

Kissed by an Angel – Elizabeth Chandler (3/5)

Kissed by an Angel tells the story of Ivy, a teenager whose mother remarries. Along with her little brother, she moves into her stepfather’s new house where her new stepbrother also lives. There is friction between the two of them even before she moves in. But when boyfriend Tristan dies, Gregory is there for her like no one else is and it is not long till that friction turns into something else...

Kissed by an Angel is an ok read for holiday, but I couldn’t really get into it. I didn’t find the characters that engaging. There was also lots of grammar mistakes and missing punctuation. They were off putting, but I’ve read worse. Over all three out of five.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so not exactly a book read but we got a pack of Cuba missile documents from uni and having gone through it three times I'd thought I'd list it for the pages for my end of year tally.

The Roosevelt’s by Peter Collier (4/5)

If you’re looking for a ‘starter’ book on American/Roosevelt history, this is your one. Collier seamlessly works the story of both the ‘Oyster Bay’(TR’s) Roosevelt’s and the ‘Hyde Park’(FDR’s) Roosevelt’s together.

Spanning a century, this book tells the story of a family. Naturally this includes highs as well as lows as they have to deal with deaths, suicides, love, weddings, affairs... the Roosevelt’s seem to strive to live full life’s though at times it did back fire on them.

This family lived through extraordinary times and there story made for a wonderful, if at times heart rendering book.

Burned by PC and Kristin Cast (4/5)

By far my favourite of the House of Night series yet, the Cast’s do not disappoint. Picking up from the tragic end of Tempted, Zoey is utterly broken and there is only one person who can save her. meanwhile, best friend and fellow high priestess Stevie Rae too fights the darkness and comes to terms with what happened to her at the end of Tempted. I love Raphaim! Best character ever!

Burned keeps the same sense of humour as previous House of Night books as well as taking the plot to an entire new level. Taking Z away from the millions of boys (namely Erik actually) vying for her love did wonders for the plot.

You're right, Jessi - I didn't miss Erik in the slightest. It was much more interesting to see the story from the other characters points of view as well, especially my new favourite, Aphrodite.

Erik annoys me full stop and has done since

Chosen/Untamed, ever since he found out about Heath and Loren pretty much. I adored Heath as a character - heartbroken when he died but then I like Stark too. The whole devotion and honour thing he has going on just won me over. Especially when he said he wanted to go and get Zoey even if they couldn't be together - so sweet!

I agree - I loved the changing point of views as well.

Aphrodite - she is just great! I think Stevie Rae is my favourite at the moment after Burned, but she doesn't make me laugh like Aphrodite. No one else could be as rude as her and get away with it. I especially love her and the twins - 'left and right brain, listen up' LOL!

He's just such a complex character, isn't he? I can't wait to find out what happens next to him! I'm already looking forward to Awakened and we have to wait till 2011!

Dark Continent – Mark Mazower (4/5)

Dark Continent is a very well written book which I read for my exams. It tells the story of Europe’s dark and twisted 20th century through the wars and what happened after them. My lecturer recommended it to us and I was not disappointed.

The Kings Secret Matter by Jean Plaidy (4/5)

Now books like these are ones that make me love Jean Plaidy. After Uneasy Lies The Head, it took me a while to crack another one of hers but I am so glad I did. Secret Matter it brilliant! Plaidys writes beautifully of Katherine of Aragorns pain as Henry VIII battles to divorce her and then in the end abandons her without so much as a good by. She also writes Poor little Princess Mary well. By giving the characters she writes about such depth, Plaidy turned out a brilliant novel here. Recommended for Tudor fans.

American Adulterer by Jed Mercruio (3.5/5)

This historical novel explores the life of JFK. It takes the reader from his election to his tragic assassination.

I admit that when I started it I wasn’t so keen on it. It has an analytical narrative style, (Kennedy is always referred to as ’the subject’ and it takes some getting used too.) I admit to that the first hundred pages did kind of bore me with Kennedy just getting off with a different girl on every days (charmingly, three are referred to as Faddle, Fuddle and Fiddle and are interchangeable for the president.) There are only a few mistresses who we are given names for.

However there are moments of really complex writing that make the book interest. JFK’s relationships with both Jackie O and Marilyn Monroe are explored and I came away with a deep sympathy for Marilyn, while finding the Kennedys marriage intriguing. Although complicated, there were obviously real moments of tenderness between them and the chapter in which they lost baby Patrick had me in tears. The way Mercruio writes the president with his children, John and Caroline, is adorable.

Overall, a good read if a bit slow to start with.

It is. Once Mercurio gets going he is a master at what he does, I think, but I totally agree that his work needs time and perseverance if your going to enjoy it.

Saint Thomas’s Eve – Jean Plaidy (4/5)

My faith in Jean Plaidy is utterly restored after this book.

Telling the emotional and tragic story of St Thomas More and his family, Plaidy brings especially Sr Thomas and his daughter Meg back to life through the pages. This very emotional tale was nothing short of beautiful through its writing. Though I think I am always going to have trouble with her one dimensional Henry VIII, I love her characterizations of the others.

Loved it!

Jackie, Ethel, Joan by J Randy Taraborelli (4.75/5)

I have not enjoyed a book as much as I did this one in a very long time! It was such a joy to read.

Jackie, Ethel, Joan tells the story of the three Kennedy wives of the Camelot era. Joan was married to Ted Kennedy, Ethel to Bobby and as everyone knows, Jackie was JFKs first lady.

As glamorous as their lives were tragic, Taraborrelli has a real flair for writing and brought every character in the book from family patriarch Joe to all of the kids to life for me.

Obviously and as I have already said this is a tragedy as much as a story of triumph, and reading through the chapters concerning both the presidents and Bobby Kennedys assassinations I couldn’t help tears stinging my eyes. Especially the consequences of the shootings; thirteen young kids, none over twenty were left without a dad.

Yet there were moments of triumph – JFKs ascent to power, Bobby and Ethel’s seemingly strong marriage (even if he did cheat) and Joan finally taking control of herself and splitting from Ted.

If you love American history or the Kennedy era, read this book – I loved it!

Do! It was so interesting and I will definately reread it - it was just brilliant and really writing to bring out your emotions I think. Three Extraordinary Ladies!

The Pearl by Douglas Smith (4/5)

I enjoyed this book. It was so different to everything else I have read this year. The pearl tells the story of Russia’s wealthy aristocrat and the serf who stole his heart. Set in the time of Catherine the Great, this was nothing sort of a crime against society.

Nicholas and Praskovia are the heart of this tale, and though in the end there love story came to the end that lesser men than Nicholas wouldn’t able to bring it to, (after she feel dangerously ill he freed and married her a free women) it was followed it quick succession by tragedy as her broken health could not with stand the birth of their only (known) child, Dimity.

Yet what makes The Pearl such a fascinating read is not only the love story it surrounds but the social context Smith sets it in. We are given a look into not only high society but also serf society, the world of serf theatre; a glimpse of all the classes who were involved in this part of the arts in this place and time. A very different, interesting and well written book which is only let down by the lack of material it was based on though that was no fault of the authors but rather the time. We know it seems very little of Praskovia so Smith had to reconstruct her from what people said/thought of her. Overall, brilliant though.

Katherine by Anya Seton (4.5/5)

I heard once Seton was the queen of historical fiction; I believe it now. I definitely just found a new favourite author.

Katherine was a best seller back in the 1950s and is about the low born daughter of a knight who rose to be the first lady of England. Set in the medieval era when Edward III was king, it was fresh for me as I had never read a book sent in this era, yet Katherine succeeded in transporting me to the era in a way that no book has since The Last Station.

Katherine is 15 when she comes to court and is soon forced into a marriage with the burly, uncouth Hugh Swynford. Yet her heart belongs to the kings third son, John of Gaunt. After the tragic death of his almost saint like wife Blanche, Katherine and John begin to move closer to their hearts desires; one another, yet as they say (and it was very true for these pair) that the course of true love never does run smooth.

Beautifully crafted and sourced from meticulous research, Katherine is a first rate historical read and gives you everything you want from a historical novel. As well as exploring the love of this passionate pair, it also gives you a glimpse as the other important characters of the time as well as the society; in this time, serfdom still existed in Britain, yet parliament was already formed.

Given the complex and contradictory characters, the rich social and political background as well as unexpected plot if you don

I loved this book too. I was surprised that despite the historical topic it flowed really well and was a quick read, often historical novels seem a bit clunky to me because the author isn't confident in such a different setting and language.

Yeah, Seton really seemed to know what she was talking about and that made it so easy to fly through. I thought she handled the more grisly parts of Medieval life well in her writing too.

• 5 weeks later...

The Second Short Life of Bree Tanner by Stephanie Meyer (3.5/5)

I really enjoyed this novella. Having been enthralled by the Twilight Saga last Easter, reading all 4 in 2 weeks, I was really excited about this. I also loved the Host.

I did enjoy Bree Tanner too, though I think I preferred all the other books, except Breaking Dawn which I still have issues with to this day (which is what happens when your best friend coverts you to team Jacob). I liked Bree and felt genuinely sorry for her, and thought the opening of the book was really shocking with them hunting, as vampires are ‘meant too’. Shame we didn’t see more of Freaky Fred I thought. I would have liked to know more about him.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (4/5)

Inkheart was a bit of a mixed bag for me even though in the end I loved it.

First of all, Funke is great at coming up with interesting characters, such as Dustfinger. I thought he was the most complex. I loved the way she brought him in his relationship with Mo and Meggie and his feelings for Resa just broke my heart.

I also thought the plot was very unique which is always a huge plus for any book, a lot of thought clearly went into it.

But, and it is quite a big but, I didn’t really get into it till the last hundred pages and had to make myself sit down and read it. I felt as if I should like it but really struggled to get into it.

That said, I have not ruled out reading Inkspell. So yeah, mixed feelings about this one. undoubtedly a good book, but I didn’t find it very compelling.

Edited by Jessi