Poppy's Paperbacks 2010

poppyshake

spotofbother.jpg

A Spot of Bother - Mark Haddon

Waterstone's Synopsis
: George Hall doesn't understand the modern obsession with talking about everything. 'The secret of contentment, George felt, lay in ignoring many things completely.' Some things in life, however, cannot be ignored. At fifty-seven, George is settling down to a comfortable retirement, building a shed in his garden, reading historical novels, listening to a bit of light jazz. Then Katie, his tempestuous daughter, announces that she is getting remarried, to Ray. Her family is not pleased - as her brother Jamie observes, Ray has 'strangler's hands'. Katie can't decide if she loves Ray, or loves the wonderful way he has with her son Jacob, and her mother Jean is a bit put out by all the planning and arguing the wedding has occasioned, which get in the way of her quite fulfilling late-life affair with one of her husband's former colleagues. And the tidy and pleasant life Jamie has created crumbles when he fails to invite his lover, Tony, to the dreaded nuptials. Unnoticed in the uproar, George discovers a sinister lesion on his hip, and quietly begins to lose his mind. The way these damaged people fall apart - and come together - as a family is the true subject of Mark Haddon's disturbing yet very funny portrait of a dignified man trying to go insane politely.

Review: Although I didn't enjoy this as much as The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time it was still a good story and well written. Poor George is going through a bit of a crisis ... his daughter is about to marry an unsuitable man, his son is a homosexual and his wife is having an affair ... on top of all this George convinces himself that he is dying. All this sends George into a downward spiral of epic proportions as his daughters big day looms ever nearer.

It's very funny and the characters are well drawn, you really do feel sorry for George and his plight ... and the son Jamie too who is having relationship problems with his boyfriend. The Mum and daughter were hard to warm to though.
But overall I found the subject matter really depressing ... even though it was dealt with well and was extremely funny and witty in parts.
I suffer quite a bit from anxiety and so I felt I couldn't really enjoy it as much as I would have done had George's episodes not reminded me of bad times (though I've never been face down in a ditch I have to say .. well, not yet anyway! :blush2:)

7/10

Edited by poppyshake

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alandavies.jpg[

My Favourite People and Me (1978-1988) - Alan Davies

Waterstone's Synopsis
: Alan Davies was always a hoarder. Pages from Smash Hits, rolled up gig posters, Cup Final ticket stubs, Woody Allen paperbacks, NME covers and Blondie calendars filled boxes once used to ferry shopping home from supermarkets (back when supermarkets would leave boxes out for the ferrying of shopping). Not much that came down from Alan's bedroom wall made it into the bin, never mind the uninvented bin-liner. Growing up is not easy. So many decisions: who to revere, Sheene or McEnroe; who to imitate, Starsky or Hutch; who to dislike overnight in an effort to show maturity, Thatcher or Scargill; and, how to decide which pin-ups to unpin when a batch of Animal Rights leaflets or a satirical poster of Ronald Reagan demand wallspace. The Impressionable Age of a young man lasts around a decade and the idols and icons of that period can reveal much of the time and of the impressed subject. Nostalgic, warm and laugh-out-loud funny "My Favourite People and Me 1978-1988" is an affectionate trip through a suburban childhood in Essex and an eighties education in Kent. As Alan says, 'an attempt to remember who and what I liked as a boy/youth/idiot and to work out why. There are also some pictures.

Review: I didn't enjoy this as much as I was expecting to .. mainly because it wasn't quite my era and also because I'm female and this is written very much from a male adolescents point of view (obviously) .. hence lots of drooling over Debbie Harry and Chrissy Hynde etc etc. There are also tons of references to Arsenal football club and as a Spurs supporter I can't condone that :mad:  :D  .. a lot of his 'favourite people' are former Arsenal players. Other favourites are more diverse ranging from Margaret Thatcher :o to Michael Foot and Arthur Scargill!! .. though he is at pains to point out that he wasn't very politically aware when Margaret came to power and was just emulating his father's political views.

I love Alan on QI, and there is a lot of his trademark dry wit here, the book is very easy to read. The reader doesn't learn much about his personal life, and there aren't many photo's ... it really is a social commentary about the late 70's - 80's and if you happened to be 12 in 1978 (and preferably a boy), then this is the book for you.
I would have given him a 7/10 but .. despite the drooling .. one of his 'favourite people' wasn't Kate Bush :o .. unforgiveable! :D

6/10

Edited by poppyshake

gargoyle.jpg

The Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson

Waterstones Synopsis
: The nameless and beautiful narrator of The Gargoyle is driving along a dark road when he is distracted by what seems to be a flight of arrows. He crashes into a ravine and wakes up in a burns ward, undergoing the tortures of the damned. His life is over - he is now a monster. But in fact it is only just beginning. One day, Marianne Engel, a wild and compelling sculptress of gargoyles, enters his life and tells him that they were once lovers in medieval Germany. In her telling, he was a badly burned mercenary and she was a nun and a scribe who nursed him back to health in the famed monastery of Engelthal. As she spins her tale, Scheherazade fashion, and relates equally mesmerising stories of deathless love in Japan, Greenland, Italy and England, he finds himself drawn back to life - and, finally, to love.

Review: There's no denying that this book is incredibly ambitious and compelling, however I found it a bit of a trial at times. I'm a bit squeamish so the graphic accounts of the narrator's horrific injuries and the treatment for his extensive burns was a little too much for me and also I found the dialogue quite crude in places. I was captured by the relationship between the (nameless) narrator and Marianne and I found the tales she told completely entrancing and touching. Could Marianne be actually telling the truth when she declares that they were lovers in the 1300's or is she in need of medication and psychiatric care? (after all she was in the psychiatric ward when he first met her.)

I had to read some of the passages through squinty eyes as they were too graphic or gruesome .. otherwise I would've rated it more highly. A lot of it was extraordinary though, folklore and myths woven beautifully to run parallel to the main story.

7/10

Edited by poppyshake

gold.jpg

Gold - Dan Rhodes

Waterstones Synopsis
: Miyuki Woodward; lover of pints and instant food has been taking a holiday to the same seaside town for eight years. She is made to feel at home, at least during pub-quiz nights, when Short Mr Hughes, Tall Mr Hughes and Mr Puw are especially glad to recruit Miyuki and her trivia prowess to their team. This year, following an act of raw creativity involving some cans of gold spraypaint, Miyuki will take part in the most turbulent events the village has seen since Tall Mr Hughes returned from the pub toilet without remembering to button up

Review: I really loved this book, very quirky and witty. I loved all the characters especially Miyuki, the Welsh/Japanese girl who has spent a fortnight every winter in the same seaside town .. only 100 miles from home .. for the last eight years eating junk food, reading a book a day and drinking 'Brains' beer in The Anchor, just so that she can appreciate her love for Grindl (absence making the heart grow fonder and all that :D) Not much happens but I could have read about that 'not much' happening for several more chapters because I just loved the people, the place and the whimsical nature of it. It has a surprisingly sad ending but that in a way made it all the more perfect.
I would say it was 'laugh out loud' but I never do that .. it was definitely 'smile out loud' though :smile:

10/10

Edited by poppyshake

I'm glad you enjoyed it Poppy. Definitely agree about the smile out loud moments throughout the book. Even though it has been a few days since I read it I still think about moments i particularly enjoyed. Have managed to get Anthropology, one of his other books and will be reading that soonish.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Poppy. Definitely agree about the smile out loud moments throughout the book. Even though it has been a few days since I read it I still think about moments i particularly enjoyed. Have managed to get Anthropology, one of his other books and will be reading that soonish.

Look forward to hearing what you make of it. After reading the reviews on the back jacket of 'Gold' I'm tempted by his 'Timoleon Vieta Come Home' . However, after reading some of the Amazon reviews about it I'm not so sure ... seems to be unbearably sad .. and the reviews were mixed to say the least. More promising is 'Little Hands Clapping' but that is only in hardback at the moment.

stardust.jpg

Stardust - Neil Gaiman

Waterstone's Synopsis
: Life moves at a leisurely pace in the tiny town of Wall - named after the imposing stone barrier which separates the town from a grassy meadow. Here, young Tristran Thorn has lost his heart to the beautiful Victoria Forester and for the coveted prize of her hand, Tristran vows to retrieve a fallen star and deliver it to his beloved. It is an oath that sends him over the ancient wall and into a world that is dangerous and strange beyond imagining...It includes extra material exclusive to "Headline Review's" edition

Review: A really magical book, very reminiscent of C.S. Lewis's writings (The Silver Chair in particular) with beautiful, witty, imaginative, enchanting prose. As ever with Neil's writing you are transported straight away into the worlds of Wall and Faerie. The hero .. Tristan Thorn, of the town of Wall, want's to win the heart of Victoria Forester and in order to do so (or to be granted his hearts desire at any rate) he must retrieve a fallen star, the only problem is the star has fallen in Faerie and Tristan must go through the gap in the much guarded wall and face untold danger (well it is told but you know what I mean :D) It's all here .. witches, ghosts, a talking tree/animals, a unicorn, charms etc etc and I got totally caught up in Tristan's quest and whether he would ever make it home to Wall to present Victoria with the star and whether, if he did, she would be worthy of it.
Every book I read of Neil's makes me admire him more .. he understands storytelling perfectly.

9/10

Edited by poppyshake

Indeed :lol: glad you enjoyed Stardust, it's such an enchanting book. Have you seen the film?, it's really good. There's quite a few changes made, but Neil sanctioned them all and they do work on screen so I didn't mind too much.

No I haven't seen it, but I believe it's on TV this coming week (possible Saturday .. I'll have to check) .. so happy days :lol:

I just looked .. it's Sunday

Edited by poppyshake

oneday.jpg

One Day - David Nicholls

Waterstone's Synopsis
: 'I can imagine you at forty,' she said, a hint of malice in her voice. 'I can picture it right now.' He smiled without opening his eyes. 'Go on then.' 15th July 1988. Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? Twenty years, two people, ONE DAY. From the author of the massive bestseller STARTER FOR TEN.

Review: Very readable and I liked the concept of documenting the same day in two peoples lives, for twenty years. I absolutely loved Emma .. she's warm, funny, loyal, intelligent and the absolute ideal best friend .. Dexter was harder to love .. selfish, superficial, arrogant, disloyal and a nightmare of a best friend. By the time you're a quarter of the way through the story you are absolutely involved in their storylines.

I liked the first part of the book best, very funny and witty but as the story went on it became more sad and melancholic .. and although things eventually start looking great again there is a heartbreakingly sad ending which, because of your involvement with the characters by then, was quite emotional.
It's got 'film adaptation' stamped all over it :)

8/10

Edited by poppyshake

Not much happens but I could have read about that 'not much' happening for several more chapters because I just loved the people, the place and the whimsical nature of it. It has a surprisingly sad ending but that in a way made it all the more perfect.

I agree, nothing much really happens but the characters are so quirky and lovable each in their own way that I could've kept on reading for ages ;) The ending was really sad, I didn't see it coming at all! ;) But it was part of the story.

I loved the taller Mr Hughes, he had the most amazing tales to tell about alligators and George from Trowbrigde :friends0: And Mr Puw calling every woman 'Thunderthighs' (I'm not sure about the word, I read the book in Finnish and from the translation I just figured it's probably thunderthighs in English?) :lol:

I agree, nothing much really happens but the characters are so quirky and lovable each in their own way that I could've kept on reading for ages :) The ending was really sad, I didn't see it coming at all! :( But it was part of the story.

I loved the taller Mr Hughes, he had the most amazing tales to tell about alligators and George from Trowbrigde :lol: And Mr Puw calling every woman 'Thunderthighs' (I'm not sure about the word, I read the book in Finnish and from the translation I just figured it's probably thunderthighs in English?) :D

Those men in the pub were fantastic. I loved the way that tall Mr Hughes went to Trowbridge because it was the furthest he could go for his money. Also loved Septic Barry and the Children from Previous Relationships ... all their plans for gigs and tours that were never going to happen ... when they were finally offered a gig they were worried that there wasn't a socket by the dartboard for plugging their keyboard into :D. Yes, it was 'thunderthighs' ... and nobody minded being called it .. except the women with thunderthighs!!

ofbeesandmist.jpg

Of Bees and Mist - Erick Setiawan

Waterstone's Synopsis
: Up in the house that sits on the hill, a strange spell is brewing...To Meridia, growing up with her father Gabriel, who vanishes daily in clouds of mist, and her bewitching mother Ravenna, the outside world is a refuge. So when as a young woman her true love Daniel offers her marriage, it seems an escape to a more straightforward existence. Yet behind the welcoming facade of her new home lies a life of drudgery and a story even stranger than that she left behind. Aged retainers lurk in the background; swarms of bees appear at will, and of course, there's her indomitable mother-in-law, Eva, hiding secrets that it will take Meridia years to unravel. Surrounded by seemingly unfathomable mysteries, can Meridia unlock the intrigues of the past, and thus protect her own family's future? An epic tale of two families told by an unforgettable voice. A modern fable, a gothic page-turner, but most of all, a passionate story about the power of love to conquer all that comes its way.

Review: It took me a couple of chapters to really get into the story. It's a fairly familiar tale about a young lady (Meridia) growing up in a household where her mother and father are living separate lives and as a result shutting her out too. She meets and marries a young man (Daniel) and then gains a mother and sister-in-law that would test the most placid of young brides and a father-in-law who is henpecked. All familiar territory so far except for this is set in a completely fantasy world with enchanted mists that can whisk people away, ghosts in mirrors, apparitions and bees that are summoned up like angry words to inflict physical and mental torture. Meridia, her mother Ravenna and her mother-in-law Eva are all well fleshed out characters (indeed Eva is the most wicked of wicked mother-in-laws) but the male characters seem to be a bit one dimensional and weak. By the end of the story I was fairly engrossed .. it's a very imaginative piece of writing and a debut novel so I'll look out eagerly for his next book.

8/10

Edited by poppyshake

ostrichboys.jpg

Ostrich Boys - Keith Gray

Waterstone's Synopsis
: 'It's not really kidnapping, is it? He'd have to be alive for it to be proper kidnapping.' Kenny, Sim and Blake are about to embark on a remarkable journey of friendship. Stealing the urn containing the ashes of their best friend Ross, they set out from Cleethorpes on the east coast to travel the 261 miles to the tiny hamlet of Ross in Dumfries and Galloway. After a depressing and dispiriting funeral they feel taking Ross to Ross will be a fitting memorial for a 15 year-old boy who changed all their lives through his friendship. Little do they realise just how much Ross can still affect life for them even though he's now dead. Drawing on personal experience Keith Gray has written an extraordinary novel about friendship, loss and suicide, and about the good things that may be waiting just out of sight around the corner.

Review: A very easy read about three teenage boys and their best friend Ross who has died in a road accident. They're not at all impressed when no-one at the funeral seems to talk about or know Ross as they did and they decide to steal his ashes and take them to Ross in Scotland for a more fitting memorial. Thereby starts their road trip from Cleethorpes to Ross which is fraught with mishap .. how long will it be before their parents and the police discover what they've done? It's humorous but also quite poignant ... through their discussions they discover that they had all let Ross down in some way and they are forced to think the unthinkable ... maybe Ross intended to take his own life. This is a book that was written for teenagers and it's probably best suited to them but it was very readable all the same.

7/10

Edited by poppyshake

The reader doesn't learn much about his personal life, and there aren't many photo's ... it really is a social commentary about the late 70's - 80's and if you happened to be 12 in 1978 (and preferably a boy), then this is the book for you.

I saw this in The Book People magazine and pondered ordering it, but wasn't sure. Although I was 12 in 1978, I'm definitely not a boy!

I think after reading your review, I might give it a miss as there are so many other books out there - not to mention on my massive 'to read' pile. Thanks for the review, and helping me make up my mind! :)

I saw this in The Book People magazine and pondered ordering it, but wasn't sure. Although I was 12 in 1978, I'm definitely not a boy!

I think after reading your review, I might give it a miss as there are so many other books out there - not to mention on my massive 'to read' pile. Thanks for the review, and helping me make up my mind! :)

Tbh I bought it for my husband Janet, but he's ploughing through something else at the moment, and I wanted something non-fiction to read.

I think he'll enjoy it more than me though he isn't particularly political and he isn't into football much .. he'll definitely get the Debbie Harry references though :roll:.

I found myself wanting to know more about Alan and less about his favourite people ... it was ok though.

I must admit I thought it would be about Alan - despite the title! It's definitely not the sort of thing my husband would read (although he, too, would appreciate the Debbie Harry references!).

Perhaps he'll bring out a 'proper' autobiography one day?

I do like him, especially in QI, and I can't wait for the new Jonathan Creek! My daughter (aged 12) has a crush on him! :)

I love him on QI .. such a great sense of humour. I get the feeling that he is fairly private and that the only way he could write an autobiography was to write it this way and so keep the chat about him to a minimum.

He used to go out with Julia Sawalha .. and I read that led to rifts between her and her sister (Nadia) because Alan went mad after pics were taken (and published) of them at Nadia's wedding. It certainly wasn't mentioned in his book ... it only went up to 1988 after all and hardly any relationships were mentioned (other than casual ones).

Maybe now he has a taste for it, he might write a more detailed account .. I wouldn't bet on it though.

behaviourofmoths.jpg

The Behaviour of Moths - Poppy Adams

Waterstone's Synopsis
: From her lookout on the first floor, Ginny watches and waits for her younger sister to return to the crumbling mansion that was once their idyllic childhood home. Vivien has not set foot in the house since she left, forty-seven years ago; Ginny, the reclusive moth expert, has rarely ventured outside it. But with Vivien's arrival, dark, unspoken secrets surface. Told in Ginny's unforgettable voice, this debut novel tells a disquieting story of two sisters and the ties that bind - sometimes a little too tightly.

Review: Ooh this was a bit of a creepy one, a very dark story. A tale of Ginny, waiting for her sister Vivian to return to their childhood home after 47 years. The narrative swings between current day and flashback .. but you soon learn that the narrator (Ginny) is telling the tale as she perceives it and not necessarily telling the whole truth. Ginny's father Clive was an expert moth collector (or lepidopterist) and he passes all his knowledge and love for the subject on to Ginny and I found all the detailed descriptions about lepidoptera absolutely fascinating. None of the characters are particularly likeable but they aren't meant to be and it doesn't detract from the story. Ginny and her sister Vivi's lives are strewn with sadness and tragedy .. and now there are only the two of them left. Ginny is a bit resentful of her younger, more popular, sister interrupting her quiet life once more and she can't shake the feeling that Vivi has come home for a reason :lurker:

The book jacket says that this book has a Whatever Happened to Baby Jane feel about it and it does .. and as you get towards the end of the book you know with certainty that they're not going to live happily ever after :hide:

8/10

Edited by poppyshake

magictoyshop.jpg

The Magic Toyshop - Angela Carter

Waterstone's Synopsis
: 'This crazy world whirled around her, men and women dwarfed by toys and puppets, where even the birds are mechanical and the few human figures went masked...She was in the night once again, and the doll was herself.' Melanie walks in the midnight garden, wearing her mother's wedding dress; naked she climbs the apple tree in the black of the moon. Omens of disaster, swiftly following, transport Melanie from rural comfort to London, to the Magic Toyshop. To the red-haired, dancing Finn, the gentle Francie, dumb Aunt Margaret and Uncle Phillip. Francie plays curious night music, Finn kisses fifteen-year-old Melanie in the mysterious ruins of the pleasure gardens. Brooding over all is Uncle Philip: Uncle Philip, with blank eyes the colour of wet newspaper, making puppets the size of men, and clockwork roses. He loves his magic puppets, but hates the love of man for woman, boy for girl, brother for sister...In this, her second novel, (awarded the 1967 John Llewellyn Rhys Prize) Angela Carter's brilliant imagination and starting intensity of style explore and extend the nature and boundaries of love.

Review: Was this a childrens book? :o .. if so it must have been quite shocking especially as it was written in the 60's when all good children were reading Enid :D This is a Lemony Snicketesque story of three children who, after tragedy strikes, are sent to live with their diabolical Uncle Phillip .. a puppeteer :hide: The story is narrated by Melanie .. who is fifteen and the eldest of the three children. She is at that age where she is becoming sexually aware and this theme weaves itself through the story .. sometimes disturbingly. The children are sent to live above the Magic Toyshop with Uncle Phillip (boo hiss!!) .. his lovely but dumb (in the literal sense ... she has to write everything on a blackboard or paper) wife Aunt Margaret and her two brothers Finn and Francie. Melanie is at first revolted by her surroundings and the two brothers ... 'a ferocious and unwashed animal smell came from them both' ... but her opinions begin to change the longer she spends with them and the more she leaves her former self behind.

Angela Carter doesn't pull any punches with this book ... right up to the fairly shocking ending but I loved her beautifully descriptive writing style. It's a dark, disturbing, uncomfortable read ... but for all that I liked it :blush2:
On second thoughts, despite the beautiful book cover and the subject matter (a fifteen year old girl and a magic toyshop) .. I'm pretty sure this book must have been written for adults or for the older teenage market. I'm definitely interested to read more of Angela's books :smile:

8/10

Edited by poppyshake