Inver's Reading List 2010

Inver

'The Memory Garden' by Rachel Hore

Read via bookring started by Kate.

Thanks for letting me read this one Kate. Very enjoyable and loved the past/present connections and the researching into the artists etc. I was intrigued to know what they were going to find in the garden and would love to have know how it was going to look, but that was left unfinished, however sometimes these things are best left to your own imagination. Characters all likeable, although I thought it wee bit of a not-quite-finished ending, as in I wanted them to complete the garden and see it in all it's glory.

4/5

• 3 weeks later...

'The Cross-Country' Quilters by Jennifer Chiaverini

This is the third in the series of the Elm Creek quilters. I read the first 'The Quilter's Apprentice. Very enjoyable. The group of friends meet again at Elm Creek quilt camp and begin work on a challenge quilt, each completing a block for the quilt with a piece of fabric that was divided into equal shares. They set themselves a special challenge. No one can start work on their block until they have taken steps to solve her problems and achieve a personal goal. Their close friendship keeps each on track to achieving this and they agree to meet the following year at camp to complete the quilt. Despite the distance that separate them they come together with their love of quilting and share their trials and tribulations.

Jennifer Chiaverini writes in a lovely, homely way and draws you into the art of quilting and friendship. If you haven't read any before I recommend you start with 'The Quilter's Apprentice' to find out how the Elm Creek quilters come about.

4.5/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Therapy' by Sebastian Fitzek

I don't usually go in much for reading thrillers, but Michelle offered this as a bookring and I'm glad I joined up for it. Josy, a 12 year old girl, goes missing. She has an illness and vanishes without trace from her doctor's surgery. Her father Viktor, spends the next 4 years trying to come to terms with and trying to find where she disappeared to. He takes himself off to a remote island but is visited by the mysterious Anna Glass, a novelist, suffering from a form of schizophrenia, who describes in detail events that could well be how Josy disappeared. Could it be true? Viktor takes on her therapy sessions and is drawn deeper in to supposed danger to uncover the horrible truth behind his daughter's disappearance.....but did he do it, did she do it........read it to find out the twists and turns of a page turner of a book.

4/5

• 1 month later...

'Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult

This wasn't the usual style of Jodi Picoult, but I think it was one of her earlier books before she started writing in her current style. It was a good read. Paige only has a few memories of her own mother, as she left when she was only 5. She is young and has dreams of going to art school and leaves home to pursue her dreams. She meets and marries a doctor, Nicholas and soon becomes a mother herself. Finding it hard to adjust to this new and demanding way of life, with no help from Nicholas, she ups and leaves to try and find her mother and search for the answer to why she left her.

It deals with both sides of how they cope, Nicholas, left holding the baby as it were, while Paige has to deal with her own doubts about her maternal abilities, or lack of them. Will it be that she is just like her mother?

4/5

'Therapy' by Sebastian Fitzek

I don't usually go in much for reading thrillers, but Michelle offered this as a bookring and I'm glad I joined up for it. Josy, a 12 year old girl, goes missing. She has an illness and vanishes without trace from her doctor's surgery. Her father Viktor, spends the next 4 years trying to come to terms with and trying to find where she disappeared to. He takes himself off to a remote island but is visited by the mysterious Anna Glass, a novelist, suffering from a form of schizophrenia, who describes in detail events that could well be how Josy disappeared. Could it be true? Viktor takes on her therapy sessions and is drawn deeper in to supposed danger to uncover the horrible truth behind his daughter's disappearance.....but did he do it, did she do it........read it to find out the twists and turns of a page turner of a book.

4/5

I've added this to my wish list. Great review, thanks. :)

• 1 month later...

'Paper Lanterns' ~ Christine Coleman

A nice easy read. A lovely jumble of characters. After a call from her brother Ann travels to Hong Kong to search for the truth about her mother and why she left her at the age of 16. Finding letters and journals from her beloved grandmother she unearths secrets she was never aware of about her. She must also face the truth about her part in an event just before her 16th birthday. This all ties in nicely and explanations unfold and a mother and daughter renew their relationship.

Christine brings to life the atmosphere of Hong Kong, where much of the books is based.

4/5