Steph's Reading Log 2010

Stephanie2008

Ah I'm the opposite at the moment as it happens - work load has been massive in preperation for the exams, but they're done and dusted now, so tomorrow begins my uphill battle to get my 'books read 2010' total upto something respectable.

Well some of them went okay, others not so well - but we shall see. Thanks for the happy reading, same to you of course. It seems I have a lot of catching up to do, but now I have a lot more free time on my hands I wouldn't of thought that would be a problem.

Book 6: The Tenko Club by Elizabeth Noble

0340836822.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

From Amazon:

Club Rules: Men, children, work, shopping, wine and chocolate. Important, but not AS important. When they need you, you are there. No giving up.

Members: Freddie, Tamsin, Reagan and Sarah

They meet at university in the heady days of the 80s: four women with little in common but an eagerness to live life to the full. And over romantic crises, long gossipy nights and too many bottles of wine, they form the Tenko club and swear they

• 3 weeks later...

9780340999141.jpg

Book 7: The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening by LJ Smith

From Amazon:

The Awakening: Elena Gilbert is used to getting what she wants and she wants mysterious new boy, Stefan. But Stefan is hiding a deadly secret - a secret that will change Elena

9780340999158h_ezr2.jpg

Book 9: The Vampire Diaries: The Fury by LJ Smith

From Amazon:

The Fury: Faced with an ancient evil, Stefan and Damon must stop their feuding and join forces with Elena to confront it. But in so doing, they are unwittingly sealing her fate ...

For me, this was the best book of the series so far. I was more interested in the characters, particularly Elena who managed to win me over. The events in this book are a lot more interesting that the last two, with the trio actually facing a threat and fighting, rather than just too much dialogue and trivial events. At times it can be predictable though (I managed to work out who the big bad was and I usually don't :D). But it was worth the read, and along similar lines as Charlaine Harris (but far superior) and PC and Kristin Cast (much more like this, as it's aimed more at a teenage audience.)

Rating: 7/10 :D Best so far.

Book 10: The Vampire Diaries: The Reunion by LJ Smith

From Amazon:

The Reunion: Elena summons the vampire trio once more to unite and challenge their fate. Together they will be called to face the most terrifying evil Fell’s Church has ever known

These books were getting progressively better but for me, this one slipped again. I like certain aspects of the story, such as not knowing who to trust, not knowing who is evil. And the menace aspect of this book was a lot better than the first two. However, little things are starting to annoy me about the writing now (probably because I've read 4 books in a row :D). The author always uses the word "oh" - "oh Stefan" "oh Elena" "oh no" you get the point. After a while (well into the first book) it really gets annoying. There are other books in this series and I probably will read them again sometime, but I'm not in a hurry too :friends0:

Rating: 6/10

Edited by Stephanie2008

• 3 weeks later...

let-the-right-one-in.jpg

Book 11: Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist

From Amazon:

Oskar and Eli. In very different ways, they were both victims. Which is why, against the odds, they became friends. And how they came to depend on one another, for life itself. Oskar is a 12 year old boy living with his mother on a dreary housing estate at the city's edge. He dreams about his absentee father, gets bullied at school, and wets himself when he's frightened. Eli is the young girl who moves in next door. She doesn't go to school and never leaves the flat by day. She is a 200 year old vampire, forever frozen in childhood, and condemned to live on a diet of fresh blood.

Reading posts on BCF made me pick up this book. There are aspects of it that I really enjoyed, I think that the characters are well described, not appearance wise (at times I didn't know how to picture certain characters) but personality wise. I found myself caring what happened to most of the characters, whether it was a happy ending or for revenge. I also think the way the characters weave in and out of each others lives is really interesting. Another thing I liked was the way each chapter broke down into a different day, so you can keep track rather than be unsure of the time. The main story between Oskar and Eli is really sweet, particularly towards the end when the friendship is tested more.

But for all the postive aspects, there are bits in this novel that I did struggle with and at times didn't enjoy. For a start: the characters names. Most of the time I wasn't sure who was who, Gosta, Lacke, Larry, Jocke, Tommy Tomas, Jimmy, Johnny. Most of the time I only knew who Oskar and Eli were :lol: Another thing, I found the end to be rushed, not much detail was paid to how certain plots were finishing, such as the bathroom scene, or the incident in the basement. I don't know if I've just missed something, but I wasn't sure what had happened to some of the characters.

Also, this book isn't for the lighthearted. There is mention (quite detailed mention at times) of child prostitution/child abuse. Also, bullying features heavily throughout the book, with the main character being subjected to incidents which are quite graphic at times, one particular part really upset me. But it is a good read, predictable at times but totally original at times too. I would only say that it is a long book (518 pages) which because it was difficult, took me quite a while to read.

Rating: 8/10. :lol:

Oh I'm so pleased you ended up enjoying Let The Right One In Steph, it turned out to be a nice surprise for me last year and ended up being one of my favourite reads.

I know exactly what you mean about the bullying and graphic scenes, definately not for the faint hearted! But I did think it was handled really well and true to life. The basement scene at the end scared the hell out of me although as you say the bathroom scene was a tad rushed.

Great review thanks! :lol:

Btw have you seen the movie? It was made really well, although I was really disappointed to the point of being angry that a lot of the scenes weren't in it, including the basement scene :lol:

Was that scene not in it? It was scary. I thought it was really well described though, it felt like you were Tommy. But then it just ended and I didn't know what to make of it. I just think the book as a whole could have ended a bit better. Apart from the last page, I felt like there was a chapter missing.

I know they might have to tone it down slightly for a movie, I think issues such as child prostitution can't really be adapted to screen. No I haven't seen it yet but I do want to :lol: I've seen a few trailers and the only things that puts me off is the subtitles.

I've seen a few trailers and the only things that puts me off is the subtitles.

You do get used to them after a while and end up not noticing you're having to read them! :lol: Can't wait to hear what you think of it when you do see it :lol:

second_chance.jpg

Book 12: Second Chance by Jane Green

From Amazon:

Step inside the home of Holly Mac and meet her successful, distinguished husband Marcus, notice how beautiful her home is and how gorgeous her children Daisy and Oliver are. You might say that they are the perfect family, but you would be very wrong...Holly is desperately lonely. She has spent her entire marriage trying to be the perfect wife but she is missing the one thing she really wants - a husband she can talk to, a soul mate to share everything with, someone like her first love and best friend Tom.Then a terrible tragedy finds Holly reunited with some old friends, and she soon realises that they too are each beset by their own problems. There's Saffron, a Hollywood actress and a recovering alcoholic, in love with a very famous and very married actor. Then there are Paul and Anna who have a great relationship but months of IVF have destroyed them financially and Anna still isn't pregnant. As the safety net of Holly's life begins to unravel, she's about to confront her problems head-on but is she ready for the change? And faced with a second chance at life, will she take it?

This is the second book by Jane Green I have read, and if I'd read this one first, I wouldn't have bothered anymore. It falls right in the middle of the chick-lit category, two characters never admitting their feelings to eachother, then heaps of regret when one dies.

From the outset, I didn't like the main character, Holly. She just seems so whiny about her life, which looks perfect from the outside but is full of cracks. All the way through Holly complains about every aspect of her life with her husband, and you just get the feeling that Jane Green has made Marcus so horrid because she can justify Holly flirting with another man. The constant stream of anti-Marcus comments gets really annoying and in the end you just scream at her to leave him.

The layout and structure of the chapters in this book were good. The chapters switch viewpoints quite often, as well as time and place. This makes the story a little more interesting, seeing different perspectives on certain events. Also, I find the secondary characters more entertaining than Holly, I like Saff, and Paul & Anna. I found their lives more engaging and realistic than Holly's. Also, I like the dynamic between Tom's parents as they're introduced. Although I felt that his mother, Maggie, was bogged down with too many of everyone elses problems, and it was often overlooked that she had just lost a son.

I struggled to make it to the end of the book. I didn't associate with Holly at all so didn't care much about what happened to her. Again the story ends with one of those "jump forward a couple of years" which just feels so rushed to get the happy endings in. It's not a great book, I definitely wouldn't read it again.

Rating: 5/10.

• 3 weeks later...

n108476.jpg

Book 13: Boy Meets Girl - Meg Cabot

From Amazon:

*Meet Kate MacKenzie…idealistic office worker, reluctant deliverer of termination notices and queen of instant messaging. As sweet as sugar.

*Meet Mitch Hertzog…ever-smiling corporate lawyer, defender of the downtrodden and king of aborted dinner dates. Good enough to eat.

*Meet Ida Lopez…cake, cookie and pastry-maker extraordinaire, purveyor of the dessert trolley and goddess of all things mouth-wateringly yummy. As nice as pie.

Together they must battle tyrants and despots to find truth, justice and the perfect double fudge pudding.

I'm a fan of Meg Cabot's books, with this being the fifth of hers I have read. It is the second in her "boy series" but the first I read as the boxset I have has the books in the wrong order :D However, the books do stand alone, so it's not essential to read them in order.

I really like the format of this book. It's told using voicemail transcripts, journal enteries, IM logs. Each page is a different format, which makes it interesting as long as you like that kind of thing.

The story itself is interesting in parts. Quite predictable but it also seems very natural at times. The main character has lots of nice personality traits, she's not selfish and really friendly which is helpful in reading about her :D The relationship between her and Mitch is really sweet at times. However, it does get slightly rushed towards the end. Also, the Kate and Jennifer, her best friend and work colleague, is entertaining, particularly during the office hours of the book.

Overall, this book is good if you like reading in different formats, from e-mails to writing over a receipt. It's also not overly mushy, as many chick-lit books can get. However, it is predictable at times, and the pace jumps around quite a bit.

Rating: 7/10 :D

n288413.jpg

Book 14: Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

From Amazon:

Lara has always had an overactive imagination. Now she wonders if she is losing her mind. Normal twenty-something girls just don't get visited by ghosts! But inexplicably, the spirit of Lara's great aunt Sadie - in the form of a bold, demanding Charleston-dancing girl - has appeared to make one last request: Lara must track down a missing necklace Sadie simply can't rest without. Lara's got enough problems of her own. Her start-up company is floundering, her best friend and business partner has run off to Goa, and she's just been dumped by the love of her life. But as Lara spends time with Sadie, life becomes more glamorous and their treasure hunt turns into something intriguing and romantic. Could Sadie's ghost be the answer to Lara's problems and can two girls from different times end up learning something special from each other?

Sophie Kinsella is my favourite chick-lit author. I have read almost every book of hers, including the whole Shopaholic series, Remember Me? and Can You Keep A Secret. Twenties Girl is her most recent novel.

I had high hopes for this book and it didn't disappoint :D The story is quite original, with the ghost of Lara's auntie becoming like a guardian angel, helping her with issues in her life such as romance and work. It is very predictable at times (considering I knew what had happened with the necklace quite early on). I find the ghost of Sadie really witty and interesting throughout, as well as being a tad annoying, particularly if she was haunting me. Also, I love Ed :D The dynamic between Ed and Lara is sweet, although it did feel rushed at times.

I thought the end was pretty perfect.

I love how there wasn't a big mushy goodbye between Lara and Sadie. But I also love how Sadie became famous and recognised by millions, which is exactly what she would have wanted.

. This is a must for all fans of Sophie Kinsella :D

Rating: 8/10.