~Weave's World Of Books 2010~

Weave

Oh dear, Robert Pattinson is going to be in it? *sighs* I just can't look at that guy as anyone other than Edward. :D Hopefully it will be a great adaptation and help him break away from the Twilight mold.

Thanks everyone :D

I think it will CaliLily because despite Edward he is a fab actor :D

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer ~ Started: 11.06.10 ~ Finished: 15.06.10 (re~read)

Bookcover-39.jpg

Synopsis ~

'Bella?' Edward's soft voice came from behind me. I turned to see him spring lightly up the porch steps, his hair windblown from running. He pulled me into his arms at once, and kissed me again. His kiss frightened me. There was too much tension, too strong an edge to the way his lips crushed mine - like he was afraid we had only so much time left to us. As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob - knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which? Following the international bestsellers Twilight and New Moon, Eclipse is the much-anticipated third book in Stephenie Meyer's captivating saga of vampire romance.

This is the third time I have read 'Eclipse, I decided to re~read it again because the film of the same name is released next month, so I decided to have a re~revamp.

'Eclipse' is my favourite of the series (next to Twilight), Bella comes more into her own in 'Eclipse', she is making decisions and portrayed less as a victim (something which Bella strives not to be but due to circumstances it does happen). There is so much going on 'Eclipse' but it never becomes confusing or boring, its has always been a definite page turner for me.

I am looking forward to seeing the film to see how it compares to the book.

It's already shooting, Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson have been cast.

Glad you enjoyed the re-read Paula, I loved this book when I read it and will deffo be re-reading it at some point :D

Thanks again for recommending it to me hen, its a definite favourite :D

Believe me, we are all over the filming of WFE, Cali! :D

Oh definitely hen, short of being at the actual filming, we are all over it :D

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer ~ Started: 11.06.10 ~ Finished: 15.06.10 (re~read)

Bookcover-39.jpg

Synopsis ~

'Bella?' Edward's soft voice came from behind me. I turned to see him spring lightly up the porch steps, his hair windblown from running. He pulled me into his arms at once, and kissed me again. His kiss frightened me. There was too much tension, too strong an edge to the way his lips crushed mine - like he was afraid we had only so much time left to us. As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob - knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which? Following the international bestsellers Twilight and New Moon, Eclipse is the much-anticipated third book in Stephenie Meyer's captivating saga of vampire romance.

This is the third time I have read 'Eclipse, I decided to re~read it again because the film of the same name is released next month, so I decided to have a re~revamp.

'Eclipse' is my favourite of the series (next to Twilight), Bella comes more into her own in 'Eclipse', she is making decisions and portrayed less as a victim (something which Bella strives not to be but due to circumstances it does happen). There is so much going on 'Eclipse' but it never becomes confusing or boring, its has always been a definite page turner for me.

I am looking forward to seeing the film to see how it compares to the book.

Eclipse is my second favourite in the series too :D

The Help by Kathryn Stockett ~ Started: 15.06.10 ~ Finished: 18.06.10

Bookcover-40.jpg

Synopsis ~

Enter a vanished and unjust world: Jackson, Mississippi, 1962. Where black maids raise white children, but aren

Ooo another book I will be adding to wishlist, thanks!

You are welcome to my copy Kate, but it won't be until next week when I can post it :D

You are welcome to my copy Kate, but it won't be until next week when I can post it :lol:

Only if that is OK? Can I be cheeky and ask to borrow The Boy With the Cuckoo Heart too? :D:mrgreen:

Only if that is OK? Can I be cheeky and ask to borrow The Boy With the Cuckoo Heart too? :D:mrgreen:

Its fine :lol:, you can keep 'The Help', I will post both books next week :D

That's great, thank you! I don't know if you have my new address so I'll PM it to you ;)

Got your address, thanks Kate :D

Twenty-four Eyes by Sakae Tsuboi ~ Started: 18.06.10 ~ Finished: 26.06.10

bookcover-42.jpg

Synopsis ~

This is a story set on Shodoshima, a small island in the Inland Sea and the lives surrounding a primary school teacher, Miss Oishi, and the twelve island children (the twenty-four eyes of the title) in her first class. In the course of the novel, Miss Oishi faces problems of acceptance by the children and their parents, then ideological criticism from the educational authorities, then wartime privations and losses in her family and among her pupils. Differences of class, gender, and political opinion are finally rendered less important than a common experience of suffering. The book concludes with a tearful graduation reunion between the bereaved teacher and her original pupils, whose ranks are sadly depleted by the suffering of the past decade. "Twenty-four Eyes", first published in Japanese as "Nijushi no Hitomi" in 1952, immediately became a bestseller. It was made into a film two years later by Keisuke Kinoshita, a leading director, winning the Best Film of the year. In 1987, it was filmed for a second time.

'Twenty-four eyes' tells the story of Miss Hisako Koishi and the twelve children she teaches at different points in their lives. From the minute Miss Koishi arrives on Shodoshima Island in March 1928, she is seen as 'modern' because she wears Western clothes and rides a bicycle, at the time, Japan is going through a change with the first election of the new Universal Suffrage Act taking place in February of the same year.

Shodoshima Island is a small island where all of the inhabitants (including the children) work hard, which Miss Oishi (the nickname given it to her by the fifth grade students because oishi means 'big stone' and Miss Koishi is the opposite by being so small) understands but feels sad for their future because most of them have their futures mapped out for them, with the boys joining the army and the girls marrying young.

As the story progresses you see Miss Oishi, who eventually becomes Mrs Oishi (because she is an only child and with no brothers to carry on the family name, tradition states that her husband takes her name as he becomes part of the family) and the children at different points in their lives, the backdrop being the war and prior to that various other military activity, Mrs Oishi feels strongly about the war but does not share her thoughts or feelings as it is frowned upon, they are told they must embrace the fighting, accept that any men that died have died for a reason, which Mrs Oishi cannot accept as she loses her husband and some of the boys from her class, time continues and Mrs Oishi finds herself teaching the children of the children which she originally taught, a scene which is poignant in the book as she reads all their names for the class register and remembers their parents, uncles, aunts, etc.

I thought 'Twenty-four eyes' was a lovely read, Mrs Oishi's relationship with the children is shown well, and you can see how much she cares and loves the children. The war is an aspect of the story but it is not just about the war, its about the children's lives and how they develop and how some of lost their lives to the war and how the others grow into adults and have their own children, showing that life goes on.

Highly recommended.

Banquet of the Damned by Adam Nevill ~ Started: 26.06.10 ~ Finished: 04.07.10

Bookcover2-7.jpg

Synopsis ~

Few believed Professor Coldwell was in touch with an unseen world - that he could commune with spirits. But in Scotland's oldest university town something has passed from darkness into light. And now the young are being haunted by night terrors. And those who are visited, disappear. This is certainly not a place for outsiders, especially at night. So what chance do a rootless musician and burnt-out explorer have of surviving their entanglement with an ageless supernatural evil and the ruthless cult that worships it? This chilling occult thriller is both an homage to the great age of British ghost stories and a pacy modern tale of diabolism and witchcraft.

I bought 'Banquet of Damned' after reading our very own Michelle's fantastic review last year, of course, as always with me, the book sat on my shelf waiting to be read, what can I say?, I have a very short attention span sometimes and forget about the books I have to read.

I decided to read 'Banquet of the Damned' after reading another great review of Michelle's of Adam Nevill's current book ~ 'Apartment 16' (which I ordered and I am now waiting for to be delivered) and I was not disappointed, 'Banquet of the Damned' is a excellent supernatural story, it has everything, suspense, terror, things that go bump in the night, everything I expect from a good supernatural book. What I liked the most about 'Banquet of the Damned' was how original it was in its story, its set in the most unlikely of places, St Andrews in Scotland, I also enjoyed that it was psychological horror, there is definitely something terrorising people but you only catch glimpses of it, the idea of the 'tall man' is more scary than actually seeing him face on.

An excellent supernatural story, which gave me chills, fast paced and enjoyable.

Edited by Weave

Sounds really good and downright creepy, Paula! Excellent review :eek2:.

It was really good :roll: Very creepy, its what I like :blush:

that sounds like an amazing book, i'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

Its a great read Laura :D

This sounds good Paula I like Victorian stuff

Its really good vodkafan, if you would like to borrow my copy, let me know :D

The Return of little Big Man by Thomas Berger ~ Started: 10.07.10 ~ Finished: 18.07.10

Bookcover-43.jpg

Synopsis ~

In 1964, Little Big Man gave us the reminiscences of Jack Crabb - a white orphan raised among the Cheyenne - who returns to "civilized" society, where (among other things) he tangles with Wyatt Earp and Wild Bill Hickok, and ends up as the only white survivor of Custer's Last Stand.

At the end of Little Big Man, Jack's supposed death at age 111 cut short his tale. A newly discovered manuscript, however, reveals that Jack had faked his death to get out of his publishing contract, and he now picks up the story of his extraordinarily action-packed life.

Following on from 'Little Big Man', Jack Crabb continues the story of his amazing life but not before faking his own death to get out of his publishing contract.

The story begins where 'Little Big Man' finished, having survived the battle of Little Bighorn and spending some time with his Cheyenne family he heads into the West to find his next adventure where again he meets various historical figures such as The Earp Brothers, Bat Masterton, Wild Bill Hickok and Annie Oakley and becomes part of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show and meets Sitting Bull, a war chief of the Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux tribe.

'The Return of Little Big Man' is an excellent read which I enjoyed, I loved reading about Jack's many encounters and his capacity for survival, the reason for this he claims is because he is not a 'thinker'. Jack is older in 'The Return of Little Big Man' and wiser, and still in some ways trying to find his place in the world, he thinks of himself as a white man and a Cheyenne Indian, because he has experienced both ways of lives, he uses this to his advantage.

Thomas Berger has created a character in Jack Crabb who is realistic and somewhat fantastical too, Jack is fictional but you cannot help wishing that he was a real person because Jack is definitely a memorable individual.

The ending is left open with the promise of more stories from Jack.

A well written,memorable book with the one and only Mr Jack Crabb, also known as Little Big Man.