~Weave's World Of Books 2010~

Weave

I saw recently that Ann M Martin has written another Baby-Sitter's Club book, but it's a prequel from when they were all 12 years old. I'm not sure if this is a standalone or the start of a new series. I'm still debating whether or not to get it. ;)

Kylie, you are one of the other BCF members that made me rethink my (then current) attitude towards YA novels, so my thanks go to you too as well :)

A prequel? I don't read B-S C books anymore but I'd be really curious about the prequel. I have to see if they have it in the library! Thanks for the info :lol:

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rowan the Strange by Julie Hearn ~ Started: 27.05.10 ~ Finished: 28.05.10

BookCover-35.jpg

Synopsis ~

How does a doctor examine a person's brain? They won't use any knives on me, will they? Rowan knows he is strange. But dangerous? He didn't mean to scare his sister. In his right mind, he wouldn't hurt a fly. But there's a place he can go where they say they can fix his mind . . . Beyond the bars on the window, England is at war. Behind them, Rowan's own battle is only just beginning. This amazing story gives a thought-provoking look at life in an asylum and the experimental treatments practised at the start of the Second World War. For Rowan, nobody could ever have predicted the effect these treatments would have . .

Thirteen years old Rowan Scrivener's story begins on the 1st September 1939, the day World War II begins, by the 6th of September 1939, Rowan has left his home in London and has been admitted to a lunatic asylum in Kent and by the end of the day he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. For a unknown time Rowan has been experiencing auditory hallucinations (hearing voices), delusions, agitation and has become withdrawn, not sleeping, he is obsessed with keeping his family safe and watching the skies to make sure they are not attacked, he believes he can save them, everyone.

Certain incidents have occurred when Rowan becomes aggressive, he hears a voice telling him to hurts himself or others, this time he has hurt his younger sister, Rowan is deeply remorseful after the incidents happen but has no memory of them, he sees the aftermath and tries to cope with it.

As the story progresses, Rowan becomes part of a new treatment called Electroconvulsive therapy (Electric Shock Treatment). Dr Von Metzer, a German doctor administers the treatment and is very confident of the results, as is Dr Thomas, the director. Rowan becomes one of the test cases beside Dorothea, a 15 year old girl who sees Angels and talks to Joan of Arc, Dorothea's family tragically do not want Dorothea to return home.

'Rowan the Strange' is nothing short of remarkable, the characters are well thought out and you care what happens to them, especially Rowan and Dorothea. At times difficult to read especially with Rowan and Dorothea's treatment, to me, its barbaric, he changes so much in a short space of time to what is deemed to be acceptable, so that he can return to society, yes he has a illness but its hard to believe that a child would receive electric shock treatment but given the time the book is set in, it did happen and the majority of patient's family did not know it happened, as is the case with Rowan's family.

Dr Von Metzer is a complicated character which I felt sympathy for, he does what he believes is right while at the same time consumed with guilt because he left Germany and the children who needed his help, because of this, I felt as the story progressed, that he is losing sight of what he had to do, he would look at Rowan and Dorothea and think because they were in a safe, warm place they were both in a better position than the children in Germany and in some ways Rowan and Dorothea were but all of the children lost something, their lives in some cases and who they were as individuals in another cases, both sacred, a life and a mind.

'Rowan the strange' is a powerful story with underlying stories beneath it, Dr Von Metzer is a German doctor in England at the start of the war, everyone is suspicious of him, Rowan, who I felt lost his spirit, his imagination, yes he did have problems, problems that had to be addressed and the general feeling was that once he had the name of his illness, everything was fixable, it upset me because Rowan, a genuine loving and caring young boy lost a lot of himself and the book shows him striving to find what he lost, whether its a voice in his head, or months of memory loss, its hard to decide.

Julia Hearn description of Rowan is fascinating to read and sad at the same time because she has explored the subject so well, the feeling towards mental health in the 1930s, which I found horrifying to be honest. I have worked with the adults who are schizophrenic and its tough for them to be accepted, in some cases, obtaining a correct diagnosis. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for a 13 year old boy, by the end of the book, you will want only good things for Rowan, I know I did.

​An excellent read.

Another amazing review Paula, I can't help but add this one to my wishlist as well! Your reading blog is going to cost me a pretty penny :( I hope I can catch some of these books when I'm in the UK so as to reduce the costs.

Another amazing review Paula, I can't help but add this one to my wishlist as well! Your reading blog is going to cost me a pretty penny :( I hope I can catch some of these books when I'm in the UK so as to reduce the costs.

Not a problem Frankie, you are more than welcome to my copy :D

Aw, thanks for the offer, that's really sweet of you! But it would cost you to send it to here so I'm respectfully declining the offer :(

Okey dokay :D

The Ghost Writer by John Harwood ~ Started: 28.05.10 ~ Finished: 03.06.10

Bookcover-36.jpg

Synopsis ~

Viola Hatherley was a writer of ghost stories in the 1890s whose work lies forgotten until her great-grandson, as a young boy in Mawson, Australia, learns how to open the secret drawer in his mother's room. There he finds a manuscript, and from the moment his mother catches him in the act, Gerard Freeman's life is irrevocably changed. What is the invisible, ever-present threat from which his mother strives so obsessively to protect him? And why should stories written a century ago entwine themselves ever more closely around events in his own life? Gerard's quest to unveil the mystery that shrouds his family, and his life, will lead him from Mawson to London, to a long-abandoned house and the terror of a ghost story come alive.

I found 'The Ghost Writer' quite difficult to get into because it starts slowly but as the story progresses the suspense builds more and the story becomes more interesting. I enjoyed the twists and turns, the ending was nicely done, unfortunately it was brief but still nicely done.

If you like old fashioned ghost stories, stories within stories,this book is for you.

The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud by Ben Sherwood ~ Started: 03.06.10 ~ Finished: 04.06.10

Bookcover-31-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

As a boy, Charlie St Cloud narrowly survived a car crash that killed Sam, his little brother. Years later, still unable to recover from his loss, Charlie has taken a job tending to the lawns and monuments in New England cemetery where Sam is buried. When he meets Tess Carroll, they discover a beautiful and uncommon connection.

'The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud is such a pretty book, I could not read it fast enough. Charlie was a lovely character, he had lost so much and was looking for something and he found it in Tess, who was also a lovely character. I thought Charlie and Sam had more depth as characters and their relationship was shown in such a sensitive way.

I had a lump in my throat at the end, a enjoyable read.

Ohh I'm so glad you enjoyed this, I have this waiting and will get to it in the next few days :)

It was really good Lexie, a definite feel good kind of read ;)

Both The Ghost Writer by John Harwood and The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud by Ben Sherwood sound interesting, meaning my wishlist is expanding yet again. Thanks for the wonderful reviews Paula :blush:

Thanks Frankie :lol:

Night by Elie Wiesel ~ Started: 07.06.10 ~ Finished: 08.06.10

Bookcover1-2.jpg

Synopsis ~

Born into a Jewish ghetto in Hungary, as a child, Elie Wiesel was sent to the Nazi concentration camps at Auschwitz and Buchenwald. This is his account of that atrocity: the ever-increasing horrors he endured, the loss of his family and his struggle to survive in a world that stripped him of humanity, dignity and faith. Describing in simple terms the tragic murder of a people from a survivor's perspective, Night is among the most personal, intimate and poignant of all accounts of the Holocaust. A compelling consideration of the darkest side of human nature and the enduring power of hope, it remains one of the most important works of the twentieth century.

Dawn by Elie Wiesel ~ Started: 08.06.10 ~ Finished: 09.06.10

Bookcover2-6.jpg

Synopsis ~

Deals with the conflicts and thoughts of a young Jewish concentration-camp veteran as he prepares to assassinate a British hostage in occupied Palestine.

Day by Elie Wiesel ~ Started: 09.06.10 ~ Finished: 10.06.10

Bookcover3-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

A man seriously injured when hit by a car is taken to the hospital where a doctor, the woman who loves him, and his artist friend lead him to yearn for life rather than death.

I am sorry to say that this is not the most impressive of book reviews. I read 'The Night Trilogy' by Elie Wiesel over three days and the books are poignant, impressive and show the amazing strength of character of Elie Wiesel. 'Night', the first book of the trilogy explores Elie's own story, whilst 'Dawn' and 'Day' are fictional stories based on actual events. All of the books are told in a straightforward way, Elie's anger and strength shine through in each book.

I found the books hard going but I am glad I read them because a lot of lessons can be learned from them, its not just a survivor's story, its the story of a man who took a brave step and shared his heartbreaking experiences with the world.

Goodness Paula, you're amazing! You go through books like a knife through butter. Thanks for the reviews, I enjoy reading them. :)

Thanks Maureen :D

Beastly by Alex Flinn ~ Started: 10.06.10 ~ Finished: 10.06.10

Bookcover-37.jpg

Synopsis ~

I am a beast.*

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer ~ Started: 10.06.10 ~ Finished: 11.06.10

Bookcover-38.jpg

Synopsis ~

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner is the riveting story of Bree Tanner, a vampire first introduced in*Eclipse, and the darker side of the world she inhabits. The novella chronicles the journey of members of the newborn vampire army from their preparations to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullen family to its unforgettable conclusion.

If you have read 'Eclipse' by Stephenie Meyer, the third book of 'The Twilight Saga', you will know what happens to Bree, the main character of 'The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner', I always found it quite a sad ending.

'The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner' is good insight into the character of Bree, who she is as a person, how she copes with being a vampire, the same feelings that the Cullens experienced as newborns.

There was also two new characters introduced, Diego and Fred and I would like to read more about one of the characters.

A definite addition to 'Eclipse', Bella only sees Bree for about five minutes in 'Eclipse', it was interesting to read from Bree's point of view, who has such potential as a ongoing character, its a pity how it ends for her. I enjoyed reading Bree's story.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen ~ Started: 11.06.10 ~ Finished: 14.06.10 (re~read)

Bookcover-19.jpg

Synopsis ~

Orphaned, penniless Jacob Jankowski jumps a freight train in the dark, and in that instant, transforms his future.

By morning, he's landed a job with the Flying Squadron of the Benzine Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. By Nightfall, he's in love.

In an America made colourless by prohibition and the Depression, the circus is a refuge of sequins and sensuality. But behind the glamour lies a darker world, where both animals and men are dispensable. Where falling in love is the most dangerous act of all...

This is my second reading of 'Water for Elephants', and I enjoyed more the second time, its an excellent book with warm, memorable characters and I know I will read it again.

There is something about 'Water for Elephants', it so in-depth, and interesting, the story has been researched well, its just a fab read!

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen ~ Started: 11.06.10 ~ Finished: 14.06.10 (re~read)

Bookcover-19.jpg

Synopsis ~

Orphaned, penniless Jacob Jankowski jumps a freight train in the dark, and in that instant, transforms his future.

By morning, he's landed a job with the Flying Squadron of the Benzine Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. By Nightfall, he's in love.

In an America made colourless by prohibition and the Depression, the circus is a refuge of sequins and sensuality. But behind the glamour lies a darker world, where both animals and men are dispensable. Where falling in love is the most dangerous act of all...

This is my second reading of 'Water for Elephants', and I enjoyed more the second time, its an excellent book with warm, memorable characters and I know I will read it again.

There is something about 'Water for Elephants', it so in-depth, and interesting, the story has been researched well, its just a fab read!

You always put up books I want to read! This one, and The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart I really want to read! I'm glad you enjoyed your re-read :D

Water for Elephants is on my TBR list right now :D I'm glad to hear you give it such high praise. I think they are in the process of casting for a film adaptation right now.

Water for Elephants is on my TBR list right now :D I'm glad to hear you give it such high praise. I think they are in the process of casting for a film adaptation right now.

It's already shooting, Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson have been cast.

Glad you enjoyed the re-read Paula, I loved this book when I read it and will deffo be re-reading it at some point :D

Believe me, we are all over the filming of WFE, Cali! :D

Glad you had such a lovely re-read of this wonderful book, Weave. I've only read it once and just recently and will definitely plan on re-reading it in the future too!